Thread: vibration mystery.. solved?

vibration mystery.. solved?

Underneath the car today to fix stripped roll bar nut. Ya don't use a gun! Duh.

I poked around the drive shaft and finally was able to see the carrier bearing while moving the shaft. I'll let the video do the talking....

http://static.photobucket.com/player.../VIDEO0001.mp4
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..
    "Some people play hard to get... I play hard to want."

That's normal. It is a rubber molded bearing.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audi-A6-Driv...df700c&vxp=mtr
    05 Cayenne turbo

.. and its normal to move that much or get that bad?? Seems not ideal to me.
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..

b5 s4's have them as well, and i had one go bad on my second s4. You would know if that was it. You would feel like your driveshaft was hitting the tunnel when you accelerated.
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

its also designed to dampen the vibration of the drive shaft, in addition to supporting it.
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

Yea. The vibration is somewhat varied in severity and worse on acceleration. I feel it most in the seat. This much movement can't be right and I've already replaced all control arms, bushings and ball joints and drive shafts and wheels..... what else is there?

There should be movement at the Carrier Bearing but at least from the video that does definitely seem excessive. The are a pain in the ass to change just for the work involved but they are cheap. Porsche Cayenne's eat the Carrier Bearings every 50~60K miles.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Well I guess I am due then after 153k miles..

Id say so...especially if most of the vibrations you are feeling are at your seat. Next time you are out, bring someone along and have them put their hand on the tunnel in between the rear passenger footwells. Then accelerate. Should pinpoint it fairly well.

Is changing the carrier bearing/bushing easy for a prop shaft company to do, or is there something inherently more difficult (surprise) with our setup?

I have found a new complete prop shaft for 400 with only 7000 miles on it.. I may go that route.

IIRC, you have to remove the u-joint, then use a press to remove the bearing off the shaft. Plug and play for 400? Pretty cheap as our cars go...