Thread: Oh boy. Stuck on road trip with son. Alternator?

Oh boy. Stuck on road trip with son. Alternator?

Pretty sure it's alternator. Local dealership is closed until tomorrow morning. Volt meeter in cluster was reading near to far left. Car literally stop running when we coasted into a parking spot. Waiting on tow truck to drop at dealership then hotel. Needless to say my 9 year old son is pretty bummed about our weekend trip planned together. Bummer.

Question is can the dealership replace alternator without pulling motor? I can't recall. Also, what are chances they have right alternator in stock for an RS6? This is in Columbia, SC so not many beasts in the neighborhood... If any.

Thoughts? I'm mobile so your input is appreciated.

Eric

Ehartley at bluetowne dot com

No engine pull for alternator. They had one in stock in virginia when mine went bad...good luck and keep us posted.

Stephen

No engine pull that I know of. Should cross with an A6 4.2 alternator at the least. How far to go ?

Had mine towed in to the shop today for the same problem, original one lasted to 120,000 miles so no complaints. Lots of them went bad at 70-85k miles. The alternators are not easy to locate, though, as you may have already discovered. I waited over a week for the shop to get it in their hands. Best of luck, rent something fun and keep the trip with your son on this weekend.
    First RS6 totaled at 142K. Now donor for S6 Avant project. Daily driver: Sepang Blue 2016 S6. Black optics, sport package. #2 Black on Black, Level 10 and Koni, Eclipse Nav + Sirius, 034 Motorsports ECU and TCU tune.

Quote Originally Posted by papadoc View Post
    rent something fun and keep the trip with your son on this weekend.
    Awesome idea....remember, it's usually the voltage regulator that goes.

Great minds think alike. I already told him we would just rent a car and keep going if the dealership will take longer than 4-5 hours. Fingers crossed. Just found out there is a great high ropes course system here at their zoo. Will hit that for sure if we can wait on repair.

I think are good for tonight. *Just settled into a Marriott and ordered room service. *Car is at dealership lonely in the parking lot. *We are about 1.5 hours from home so not too bad.

Thanks guys!

e

Quote Originally Posted by alrightroad View Post
    Great minds think alike. I already told him we would just rent a car and keep going if the dealership will take longer than 4-5 hours. Fingers crossed. Just found out there is a great high ropes course system here at their zoo. Will hit that for sure if we can wait on repair.

I think are good for tonight. *Just settled into a Marriott and ordered room service. *Car is at dealership lonely in the parking lot. *We are about 1.5 hours from home so not too bad.

Thanks guys!

e
    Yup keep it fun because kids are adults like tomorrow.

Add the $40 ($whatever) Bosch Alternator Brush kit to the engine pull bucket list.
    Daytona/Ebony/Carbon/SEE/RNS-E/19X9 Speedline "Peelers"

No need to remove engine. Just a few oil cooler lines and a quart or so of oil..

Resolution?

Quote Originally Posted by 905084 View Post
    Resolution?
    Yes, resolved. Confirmed alternator. It was overnighted but due to timing of parts ordering it was a 3 day job. Audi Columbia (Columbia, SC) handled everything well. De De, the service writer there, was proficient and proactive in communication during the few days we were in town (does it help she has a noticable German accent?). If anyone just happens to be passing through there and needs dealership work, they were a good shop.

905084, thanks for your emails that evening when the poop hit the fan. I appreciate it.

Eric

Hope you had a great trip with the son!! Daughter just graduated from college this weekend and it was a blast! Makes you realize what is really important.

Yes, we had a great time. And, you are so on the money... these cars are secondary to everything else around us. Congrats on your daughter's graduation!