Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RNS-E from Zawa: who else purchased and has installed successfully?

Hybrid View

RNS-E from Zawa: who else purchased and has installed successfully?

I have one of the older ones in my 2001 allroad functioning 100%. Bought the new setup from Adam and having trouble getting it to work. I know physicall installation (GPS antenna, harness, etc) is correct as I have done this several times. I tested Adams unit in my allroad using the existing allroad harness and it functions there fine.

Problem is when installed in RS6 the maps dont move at all. My RS6 has factory nav and factory satellite radio. Anyone else beside Tom Sawyer have tihs exact setup? Success?

Thanks.

Eric

Check your email Eric. I had a couple of hiccups with mine, but it was mostly my fault installing the GPS antenna upside down.
    Daytona/Ebony/Carbon/SEE/RNS-E/19X9 Speedline "Peelers"

Quote Originally Posted by alrightroad View Post
    I have one of the older ones in my 2001 allroad functioning 100%. Bought the new setup from Adam and having trouble getting it to work. I know physicall installation (GPS antenna, harness, etc) is correct as I have done this several times. I tested Adams unit in my allroad using the existing allroad harness and it functions there fine.

Problem is when installed in RS6 the maps dont move at all. My RS6 has factory nav and factory satellite radio. Anyone else beside Tom Sawyer have tihs exact setup? Success?

Thanks.

Eric
    I have the RNS-E unit formerly owned by Tom Sawyer (not yet installed due to the wee bit of chaos with the oil cooler/coolant tube and f@#$ed radiator, oh and moving 1300 miles and new job and leaving family behind).

Doesn't it take up to 6+ hours to let the GPS "settle"???
    Also, don't you have to VAGCOM it to remove the factory $hitbird Nav and replace it with the coding for the RNS-E???

I am hoping at a guy named Mark that lives in Roy, Washington can assist in the installation of my unit...

Also have you checked out nene's site? www.htms.org for install issues/guidance???
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Quote Originally Posted by ben916 View Post
    I have the RNS-E unit formerly owned by Tom Sawyer (not yet installed due to the wee bit of chaos with the oil cooler/coolant tube and f@#$ed radiator, oh and moving 1300 miles and new job and leaving family behind).
    Kevin and I bought ours at the same time.

Doesn't it take up to 6+ hours to let the GPS "settle"???
    Mine did. At least.

Also, don't you have to VAGCOM it to remove the factory $hitbird Nav and replace it with the coding for the RNS-E???
    Zawa has already done this.

I am hoping at a guy named Mark that lives in Roy, Washington can assist in the installation of my unit...
    Since Kevin has already moved the pin for Bose input, the install should take less than a half an hour if you put the GPS antenna above the glovebox. The GPS antenna location shown on htms.org is probably a better spot and would probably add a half hour to the install due to the need to remove the instrument cluster instaed of the glovebox.

Also have you checked out nene's site? www.htms.org for install issues/guidance???
    Great site - but the latest RNS-E can be a much simpler install.

When you do get together for the install, let me know and I will bring some beer. I am about to embark on my Bluetooth install. My RS6 is like a superleggera without the glove box right now, so nimble.
    2003 Daytona/Silver RS6

Quote Originally Posted by Chung View Post
    My RS6 is like a superleggera without the glove box right now, so nimble.
    That has probably dropped you into the low 4's for sure.........

Ben, thanks for the reply. I figured you would pipe up when you had time to think about installing Kevin's old unit. I am working through the details now on the pinouts and coding. So far, there are several reports of a few miles to a few hours on letting the RNS-E 'sync' up with the RS6. it's been a week with mine and various changes but no dice yet. I'm sure its a cable/pinout issue... which I will resolve this weekend. RS6's are different than other C5 platforms I suppose due to more factory items inclusive and competing for same resources and signals of RNS-E. I'll let you know what I find out as I plan on documenting it along the way. That link you sent is helpful as well (thanks!).

Hope you are settling in well in the PNW. Litterally opposite of my location.

e

I believe (don't quote me on this), the cause is that the 2010 RNS-E does not use the RS6 speed signal to move the maps. It is done over K and the RS6 does not send speed over K. However the maps can also move by GPS signal, but it does take time to sync and GPS only is ultimately not as accurate as speed+GPS.

As for coding, the RNS-E should already be pre-coded so no changes should be necessary.
    2008 A4 2.0TQ Quartz Grey Metallic S-Line/Titanium Package
    2017 A4 2.0TQ Glacier White Metallic Prestige Sport
    2003 RS6 TOTALED.-----Searching for a replacement

I am pretty sure that mine has no speed input - position is calulated entirely over GPS. It's accuracy is impeccable. I just wonder if a speed input would provide for a higher frequency position feedback. Right now, I would say I get feedback every two seconds or so. My wife's 2005 Lexus is much faster for position feedback, but the screen absoultely sucks compared to this latest RNS-E unit.

I don't know if this is relevant, but I have an original RNS-E and did not hook up the speed sensor. When I first hooked up the GPS, the maps had a huge lag in updating. But over the course of a few days it resolved itself and now the nav works fine for turn-by-turn without the wheel speed signal. (Well, it does get confused in tunnels, maybe it could be better -- but it's fine.)

Ben & Chung, I would be happy to help with the install, your place or mine just let me know. Chung I take it you have the glovebox out for access to the Onstar for the Bluetooth install? The factory Bluetooth is really a great install once working, I could only imagine how much better it would be with a MFSW, for that I'll have to ask my daughter as her '08 A4 has Nav, Bluetooth & MFSW. At least the Bluetooth install in our cars isn't completely from scratch, we do have the microphone and part of the wiring thanks to the old Onstar.

P.S. I will be out of town on vacation from the 20-29th of May and will be doing a timing belt/waterpump on our Secretaries Beattle probably on the 13~14th of May (I'm a sucker for volunteering but the dealer wanted $1550 + tax and I got her all of the parts for less than $300)
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

hahnmgh63, do you have RNS-E in your headrests? I just noticed you have RNS-E listed twice in your signature. ha ha.

I have the older RNS-E and factory BT module with MFSW working well in my allroad. I'll get this sorted out in the RS6 and likely type up a document for future reference. I think nene's write-up is near complete but minus some harness mentions and also discussion on factory nav/satellite/onstar differences and signals conflicts with the assumed C5 PNP harness. Mention about GALA and tapping wiress behind cluster and why would be helpful also. I am hoping to retrofit a newer generation S-line/TT/S/RS flavor MFSW into the whole picture as time goes on. I am woking on that but research takes much longer since the newer generation airbags are 2 stage and ours are single stage (thanks to zawa for the direction on that). Safety first, then functionality.

Signature fixed, Ooops. You can use the older MFSW in the RS6 but then you end up with the Tip rocker switches and no paddles. As you mentioned, the newer MFSW has been adapted to the RS6 but I'm not sure if anyone has gotten the newer Airbags to work. I would love an RS8, TTRS, or S5 steering wheels. Along with the HTMS install this is a good guide too: http://www.allroadfaq.com/downloads/mods/TED_RNS_E.pdf and here http://home.comcast.net/~nelson.paiva/RNS-E.pdf
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Sorry for the thread jack...

I am going to use the same system Tom Sawyer used that uses the onstar controls. Not quite as good as steering wheel control but better than using the radio I think.
    2003 Daytona/Silver RS6

Quote Originally Posted by Chung View Post
    Sorry for the thread jack...

I am going to use the same system Tom Sawyer used that uses the onstar controls. Not quite as good as steering wheel control but better than using the radio I think.
    So you are gonna wire up the red Onstar button for answering the phone versus the RNS-E button?
    Geez!! one more project for me after reading this....

Mark, i have no tools here nor space.
    I am in Vegas next week until friday.
    Kids are flying up on the 17th of May for 6 days...
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

I just got one from him. Awesome guy to deal with and he really knows his stuff. He also packed it about as good as anything I've ever received. I'm prepping for my install today.

Let me know if you get stuck. I have been meaning to post some pointers. Be sure to unplug your telematics/onstar/nav equipment. It will interfere with gps and seed signals needed by the RNS-E. Be sure to connect can high and low speed signal behind cluster.
    03 RS6 :: 01 allroad