Thread: play in front output flange for drive shaft

play in front output flange for drive shaft

During a routine oil change, I was peeking around to try and find some noticeable source of my vibration issue which still hasn't gone away. Appears I do have a bent wheel. But in wiggling the front passenger drive shaft, I noticed the inside joint was moving vertically along with the bolts to the output flange of the front diff.. the drivers side didn't budge. It barely moves.. but its noticeable. I would say 1- 1.5mm.

1. is this a feasible source of whole-car vibration?

2. is my diff going to explode?
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..
    "Some people play hard to get... I play hard to want."

Anyone? Tozo ?
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..

It is a typical problem with the RS6. You will need to shim the outer bearing race or it will eat up the output seal every 10k.
    05 Cayenne turbo

Thanks Tozo. Whats the cause?

Looks like its something I will have to take it in for, I'm not about to mess it up myself

i have this too. noticed it on a few A6's that I've had. Just figured its normal, whats the fix?
    -Dave
    03 RS6 Daytona Grey, APR Exhaust, PSS9...

Hmm, I wonder if this explains why my car is marking its territory in every parking spot somewhere inboard of the RF wheel.

Has anyone determined if this output flange could cause a vibration? I've been trying to determine the source of my light vibration btwn 60 and 75 and noticed that I have a bit of play here as well.

I think it COULD but not significantly. My vibration was brakes/bent wheel/bubbled sidewall. I fixed all that and not my output flange, and vibration nearly all but gone. Start with bushings, then tires, then wheel.

Bent wheel? Bubbled sidewall? I thought you lived in SoCal Brav, not Utah. You get your manual in?

Quote Originally Posted by 905084 View Post
    Bent wheel? Bubbled sidewall? I thought you lived in SoCal Brav, not Utah. You get your manual in?
    I get let out of my Orange County cage every now and again..

Autobox has been holding up well with your mod.. trying to delay the expense (still another min 7k from what I calculate) while I have an exorbitant amount of biz expenses at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Gustaf View Post
    Has anyone determined if this output flange could cause a vibration? I've been trying to determine the source of my light vibration btwn 60 and 75 and noticed that I have a bit of play here as well.
    Fixed my ouput shafts, old wheelset that i know is perfect, new bushing/arms all around...ever since i put the Konis on and stiffened up the ride, vibration at times more so on super smooth road, think its so stiff i feel everything, does handle sweet...
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com