Thread: Replacing my radiator

Replacing my radiator

So I've got a small radiator leak--not a huge priority now but something I want to replace. The challenge here is that my mechanic says he needs to remove the front end to replace the radiator. Given the small size of the leak, it seems inefficient to spend the time/money to remove the front end just for the radiator, so I'm trying to think up other things to do to make it more efficient. What would you guys do?

my first thought is go ahead and do the timing belt early. I'm at about 119k now and the prior owner did the timing belt service himself at 106k. It's clearly early, but I feel like I can kind of justify doing it early since it wasn't done at a repair shop last time so I'd like to err on the side on getting it done earlier. That said it seems very early and it could mean adding a timing belt service over my ownership period, which definitely would cost more than the labor I'd be saving.

my other thought is to go ahead and replace my turbos. I'm pretty sure I've got some small leaks, so I think I'm going to have to replace them at some point anyway, but I'm not sure there Is that much labor I'd save since I'd be dropping the engine for that instead of pulling the front end, but maybe there's a smaller amount of labor savings there.

what do you guys think--anything I'm missing? Are there any upgrades I should think about or anything like that?

thanks in advance

In case anyone is interested, video of the leak under pressure.
    https://youtu.be/6FyC8xXh-ew
    Last edited by ahahah; December 22nd, 2016 at 03:20. Reason: forgot the link

Do the rad now

leave the tb alone

reseal the intercoolers while you have the front in service position

Quote Originally Posted by ahahah View Post
    In case anyone is interested, video of the leak under pressure.
    https://youtu.be/6FyC8xXh-ew

Labor savings...LOL>......pull engine, replace is 25 hours.....plus the other stuff.....replace the turbo CHRS involves more new parts than you think...new seals, new bolts, new nuts, etc...while you're there list is very long......if you pull the engine for the turbos you should also replace the cam chain tensioners.....

Mike
    '18 BMW M5, '19 Porsche Boxster GTS
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

You sure it's not just a connection at the radiator?, video looks vague. I had a leak last year when below 20F out, sealed itself up after a quart of coolant. New radiator is $800 or so, shop quoted $500 labor to remove front and replace, not bad really.

Our radiators are all metal, and can be pulled and welded if you have the time...can save a lot of money.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    Our radiators are all metal.
    No, they're not.
    One tank (driver's side) is metal on later cars (april of 2003+ or so) only.

Quote Originally Posted by nubcake View Post
    No, they're not.
    One tank (driver's side) is metal on later cars (april of 2003+ or so) only.
    If you're talking driver/pass side, then those are the auxiliary radiators. Removed mine 5 years ago, no need in cold weather.

The main radiator, middle, and smaller oil cooler, are all metal from my research and talking with others. That's why the main one costs $8-900...correct yes?
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Mine was all metal and the replacement one was also......

The auxiliary ones are made of WOOD I think, therefore they are witches,

DHall has carbon fiber auxiliary radiators to go with his HUGE FAT carbon Fiber steering wheel that he bought today.

Mike
    '18 BMW M5, '19 Porsche Boxster GTS
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

This doesn't look like "all metal" to me :\
    Early cars have both tanks made from plastic, can't find a pic right now.

RE: cost - well, the main reason it's for "the RS".

Photo bombing Mad Max's account....

priceless

Quote Originally Posted by nubcake View Post

This doesn't look like "all metal" to me :\
    Early cars have both tanks made from plastic, can't find a pic right now.

RE: cost - well, the main reason it's for "the RS".

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	482823_x800.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	32.2 KB 
ID:	17792Click image for larger version. 

Name:	485145_x800.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	17793
    Only one side metal.
    That's what I have, and plastic side start leaking, looking for replacement.

Andriy

Bringing up a week old thread but just looked at mine. Manufactured by Modine for Audi and the sticker is in the photo. Right side is plastic and crimped on, left side is Aluminum and welded on.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2503.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	17797
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA