Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Good alternative to Audi Bluetooth for those with OnStar

Quote Originally Posted by Chung View Post
    Should we be updating our firmware? Out of curiosity do you know of anyone that has tried to upgrade the microphone? I would like to see if an array mic would work in there.
    Short answer is not unless your firmware is older than 12-0918. That is the most recent stable firmware and had incorporated all the relevant changes added in the 13-0308 general release for the GM LAN versions. If your firmware is older than 12-0918, then I can send you tthat version and a text init script to run after to update your BlueSTAR II to the current sound canceling profiles. I would recommend you update your Costar Programming Utility to do so, it offer a cleaner interface and will allow you to run the init script without having to switch the file type to see it in the chooser.

Cheers,

Keith
    2004 VW Passat V6 30V, 5-Speed Manual, PES G1 Supercharger, Custom FMIC

Out of curiosity do you know of anyone that has tried to upgrade the microphone? I would like to see if an array mic would work in there.
    The Phaetons have mic arrays IIRC, so that rear passengers can participate equally in quality conversation, but I am not certain. If you replace the mic, you will need to find an array with roughly the same impedance (?) to keep the noise cancelling circuit in balance.

I can ask Costar if this is correct procedure, I am not really well versed in mic dynamics.

Cheers,

Keith

Interesting. I don't suppose you have the part number for the Phaeton microphone? The problem is echo canceler should come before the beam forming. Now that I think about it more I don't know how it would work if the costar is already doing echo cancellation.
    2003 Daytona/Silver RS6

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Costa, Costar
    Hard to say. The system was designed around the onstar mic. Best improvement will come from adding the attenuation if he has an older device (BlueSTAR 2010 model).

The BlueSTAR works best with lower input levels, but it does put out power on the mic line to power up the circuits in the mic. This might have a bad effect on a different mic.

-Chris
    Sooo, if your BlueSTAR is not the BlueSTAR II variety, a hardware tweak can be done so it can use new noise canceling profiles. The service is not DIY, I have to add an inline capacitor and reconfigure a couple of resistors on the PCB. I don't think anyone on this forum has a BlueSTAR 2010, I think you all are recent enough customers to have the BlueSTAR II architecture.

Just bought an RS6 that has Costar installed. I have no instructions for how to use it, pair etc. Is there a manual or something?

And this thread explains the Track99 display that was confusing the hell out of me!

Thx!
    2003 Avus RS6 01E, nubcake, Hotchkis
    2003 Daytona RS6 01E, nubcake, Hotchkis, rear ended at 50mph, totaled, RIP
    1991 Acura NSX, supercharged, 425rwhp, recently sold

The manual is here http://costartech.com/pb/products/da...s%20manual.pdf . Mine has an issue where I need to unplug the whole thing to reset it. Currently I cannot get it to work or update but it does power on so recently I have been just using my phone microphone and the AUX input.
    2003 Daytona/Silver RS6

Thanks for this. Car is out of state right now at a friends house, so I can't test this, but I don't remember my phone (Galaxy S9) seeing a BLUESTAR device. I'll need to check. Also, a quick search of the docs doesn't show how to reset the list of phones or delete them, as it only will remember 4 phones. Not sure if that is an issue or not though.

Thanks again!

Oh, and what color is your RS6? Daytona or Avus? :o)

The manual is here http://costartech.com/pb/products/da...s%20manual.pdf . Mine has an issue where I need to unplug the whole thing to reset it. Currently I cannot get it to work or update but it does power on so recently I have been just using my phone microphone and the AUX input.

Mine is Daytona. If I remember correctly you can reset the device via USB. For some reason mine is not letting me communicate with it and I didn't feel like pulling the glove box to unplug and replug it in. I haven't used mine in years and just recently got access to my RS6 again.
    2003 Daytona/Silver RS6

Thx @Chung, will post back when I see the car next. r.e. daytona/avus question, just realized interior is "silver".....duh, sorry about that,

OK, now have the car at home. Calls working fine, quality a bit scratchy according to folks whom I have called but otherwise OK.

Should I be able to stream music? If so how? Not output when using Pandora and connected....

Thx!

Quote Originally Posted by boca rat View Post
    OK, now have the car at home. Calls working fine, quality a bit scratchy according to folks whom I have called but otherwise OK.

Should I be able to stream music? If so how? Not output when using Pandora and connected....

Thx!
    Sorry for the long delay. You can stream music if you buy the aux input for your radio and attach it to the costar. I ended up replacing my headunit with one of those OEM look a like units with wireless carplay so I am not using my costar anymore so I don't remember exactly. I think the input I bought worked off the CD Changer input and you hit the cd button twice to select it or something like that.
    2003 Daytona/Silver RS6

So my CD player died and decided to give streaming a go....and it worked! Well half-worked - just the left hand channel has sound. Does anyone know how to fix that?

Which system did you end up going with?
    2003 Daytona/Silver RS6

Which system did you end up going with?
    Still working on this trying to source a good used Symphony II