Thread: Good alternative to Audi Bluetooth for those with OnStar

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Chung View Post
    Out of curiosity do you know of anyone that has tried to upgrade the microphone? I would like to see if an array mic would work in there.
    The Phaetons have mic arrays IIRC, so that rear passengers can participate equally in quality conversation, but I am not certain. If you replace the mic, you will need to find an array with roughly the same impedance (?) to keep the noise cancelling circuit in balance.

I can ask Costar if this is correct procedure, I am not really well versed in mic dynamics.

Cheers,

Keith
    2004 VW Passat V6 30V, 5-Speed Manual, PES G1 Supercharger, Custom FMIC

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Costa, Costar
    Hard to say. The system was designed around the onstar mic. Best improvement will come from adding the attenuation if he has an older device (BlueSTAR 2010 model).

The BlueSTAR works best with lower input levels, but it does put out power on the mic line to power up the circuits in the mic. This might have a bad effect on a different mic.

-Chris
    Sooo, if your BlueSTAR is not the BlueSTAR II variety, a hardware tweak can be done so it can use new noise canceling profiles. The service is not DIY, I have to add an inline capacitor and reconfigure a couple of resistors on the PCB. I don't think anyone on this forum has a BlueSTAR 2010, I think you all are recent enough customers to have the BlueSTAR II architecture.

2004 VW Passat V6 30V, 5-Speed Manual, PES G1 Supercharger, Custom FMIC