Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Good alternative to Audi Bluetooth for those with OnStar

Thanks. I have been messing with the settings but I will probably need to take some time when someone can sit in the car and talk to get it right. Eventually I would like to replace the microphone with a nice array mic since there are already two holes for it.

So far so good though. It took me a while to find the setting on my phone to allow for phone calls in the lock screen but other than that it works pretty well.
    2003 Daytona/Silver RS6

Mech

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer View Post
    It probably goes without saying, but having the head unit coded for Phone but not having the telematics module in the car does cause a code to be thrown.
    It hasn't been tried yet, because it doesn't throw a code in my car that I am aware of, but the code probably results from the OnStar unit not responding to the CAN Bus. It may be able to be averted by plugging what remains of the OnStar harness connector back into the OnStar module. There should still be power and the CAN Bus connection is left in the connector after the migration because the BlueSTAR doesn't use it. If you have room for both where you stow it away, you might give it a shot.

Mech Notes on testing mic and output settings, default volume/line level out

Quote Originally Posted by Chung View Post
    Just got done installing mine. It works pretty well so far but I haven't really heard what it sounds like on the other end. My dad says the quality is ok but "scratchy." I didn't have to repeat much though and he doesn't hear very well so it must be ok.
    FWIW, through the USB port on the unit and software from Costar, there are quite a few things about the audio levels that can be tweaked. I've not dinked with it yet but probably will once I get my car back.
    The USB software will allow you to see the actual gain settings for your mic and HFP output, and the default volume setting for the HFP output. Note that the mic gain is set to -12dB when I send them out for Audi and VW Phaeton installation because the mics are sensitive. The default audio out gain is set to 0dB. These settings were selected in testing with a Phaeton installation and produced the best quality. There is noise cancellation software at work on the Bluetooth chip, and increasing the mic gain may cause an imbalance of audio signals in and out such that the noise cancellation starts to compress the audio signal sent to the caller from your end. This is the most likely source of poor audio from you to the caller. If you are going to tinker with it, try first to adjust the mic gain down instead of up and listen to the call quality. Also when testing, please ensure the other party is on a land line, so cellular signal strength is not a part of the variable set. The default BlueSTAR volume out should be set at 8 (out of 15), because sending more line level to your head unit may also introduce background noise and cause problems with noise cancellation. If you hear background noise/hiss, it is likely your default output volume is set too high.

If you arrive at a better quality solution than -12dB, 0dB mic/output gain, please let me know and I will publish for RS6 installations going forward.

- Keith

Out of curiosity what settings are others using? I still don't have mine to where people can understand me well so it has been relegated to just family use right now.
    2003 Daytona/Silver RS6

It now supports A2DP streaming for music (requires Line IN on the head unit) but a nice bonus there and something the Audi unit can't do.
    Do you need the RNS-E for streaming music? Or can you do it with the regular head unit?

I just installed mine. It took about an hour because I was slowed down trying to figure out wire colors. That was not necessary. Here's a DIY with no pix:

Remove the 5 bolts that hold the glovebox in place. They are 8mm. There are three at the top edge and two underneath. Lower the glovebox and unclip the electrical connector for the glovebox light. Move the glovebox out of the way (mine had a piece of tape at the very rear of the panel that is over your feet as you sit in the passenger seat. Peel it back to release).

Pop of the screw cover to the right side kick panel just forward of the door. Remove two phillips head screws. Release the kick panel enough to move it so you can pull the carpet back. Peel carpet back.

The Onstar unit is the silver box. Remove the 3- 10mm nuts securing it and store it in your garage with the nuts and connector parts that you will take off later.

Follow Keiths instructions from there. Ignore wire colors. Ours are different. Just follow the old pin to new pin instructions. Adhere the CoStar unit with double sided tape so it won't rattle around. Reassemble. I could do it again in 15 minutes if I had to.

And Keith is a pleasure to deal with. He answered my emails in minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
    Excellent idea.

How much did it cost?

I've been using a Blue Ant S4 which works great.

Mike
    Your post inspired me to check out the Blue Ant s4 - found it online, bought it cheap and it works great.

The blue ant unit is a nifty gizmo, but it does not interrupt your audio system programming or use car's speakers and mic to handle calls. The voice command features offered by blue ant are available through BlueSTAR with iPhone and Android smartphones, including voice to text messaging.

The blue ant also requires periodic recharging, which means a dangling wire to cigarette lighter 12v.

All good points... for the money, it's an easy and effective solution.

My wife has the Motorola equivalent in her SUV, I think it is called the Roadster. It is a good unit, and very cost effective. I wanted an OE look and feel to my solution, and the BlueSTAR option actually resurrected the otherwise dead OnStar peripherals and achieved exactly that. And with ever expanding smartphone features available through voice commands at the touch of a single button, it truly outperforms the OE Bluetooth module in many respects at half the price.
    2004 VW Passat V6 30V, 5-Speed Manual, PES G1 Supercharger, Custom FMIC

Quote Originally Posted by keithwbloom View Post
    My wife has the Motorola equivalent in her SUV, I think it is called the Roadster. It is a good unit, and very cost effective. I wanted an OE look and feel to my solution, and the BlueSTAR option actually resurrected the otherwise dead OnStar peripherals and achieved exactly that. And with ever expanding smartphone features available through voice commands at the touch of a single button, it truly outperforms the OE Bluetooth module in many respects at half the price.
    The one thing i'd love to be able to do is say "play album secondhand daylight" and have the bluestar play it. I heard there is a way to do something like that if you have a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cord hooked to the head unit. Is it possible?

Yes it is possible. You need a source switch and a 3.5mm stereo patch cord to whatever inputs you have on your aux in channel (possibly RCA?) If you have an iPhone 4 or 4s with iTunes, you can voice navigate your playlists and artists all day long.

"Siri, play 'We are the Champions' by Queen."

2004 VW Passat V6 30V, 5-Speed Manual, PES G1 Supercharger, Custom FMIC

I can confirm that this works as advertised. Some people could hardly tell I was hands free. Keith was awesome to deal with on all fronts. I had a technical glitch and he was very responsive in working with me to get it resolved.
    03' RS6 - Mugello Blue, Ebony Interior. 19" V710's
    Sold - 06 6SP Silver B7 S4 - APR Exh, piggies, JHM ECU, VMR V708's
    Sold - 01.5 B5 S4 6-Speed - Neuspeed Exhaust, GIAC-X ECU, Shifter, VMR V708's

I finally finished the 'rest' of this project up today and installed a Blitzsafe aux adapter to the Symphony II, naturally taking the output from the Bluestar unit. Streaming pandora and google play music from my GNex, SQ is great, better than XM (which no longer functions with the blitzsafe, no big deal there). I figured there might be a new firmware so pulled the latest down from the costar site and connected via USB to flash and tweak some settings (like ringtone, pretty cool little device for sure!).

I finally finished the 'rest' of this project up today and installed a Blitzsafe aux adapter to the Symphony II, naturally taking the output from the Bluestar unit. Streaming pandora and google play music from my GNex, SQ is great, better than XM (which no longer functions with the blitzsafe, no big deal there). I figured there might be a new firmware so pulled the latest down from the costar site and connected via USB to flash and tweak some settings (like ringtone, pretty cool little device for sure!).
    Which adapter did you get? And what did you hook up to where? Symphony II is the regular radio in the RS6, yes?

This is the one I got: http://www.ebay.com/itm/180781144175...84.m1497.l2648

Basically it plugs into the back of the Symphony II (stock head unit), the plug that was in it's place is plugged into the adapter, ground strap connected to the HU (essential) and your done. The CD button is given an 'added function' where pressing it a second time puts the HU in 'changer mode'. FWIW, the SAT button does function and turns on XM/Sirius but the line in audio is what comes through.

I had a nice surprise yesterday evening when using navigation on my phone... all the turn by turn directions now comes through the speakers! My desire for another RNS-E has kinda fizzled out (other than for the aesthetic).

This is the one I got: http://www.ebay.com/itm/180781144175...84.m1497.l2648

Basically it plugs into the back of the Symphony II (stock head unit), the plug that was in it's place is plugged into the adapter, ground strap connected to the HU (essential) and your done. The CD button is given an 'added function' where pressing it a second time puts the HU in 'changer mode'. FWIW, the SAT button does function and turns on XM/Sirius but the line in audio is what comes through.

I had a nice surprise yesterday evening when using navigation on my phone... all the turn by turn directions now comes through the speakers! My desire for another RNS-E has kinda fizzled out (other than for the aesthetic).
    So what connects to the Bluestar? I assume you run the two RCA jacks to an RCA-to-3.5mm headphone jack and plug that into the Bluestar?

Exactly... just a stereo RCA to 3.5mm cable. I had to splice one together so I'll probably pull everything at some point and put in a pre-fab cable. If I do (likely, being a bit particular about stuff) I'll be sure to shoot some pics this time.