Thread: Okay, dumb question...serpentine belt removal for alternator R&R

Mech Okay, dumb question...serpentine belt removal for alternator R&R

how do I release tension on the serpentine belt to get the alternator out? From underneath as was done by some of you for the alternator R&R

Got a new one to put in as mine crapped out last Sunday. Found a place in Texas, Maniac Electric Motors that has what looks to be a high quality replacement. Couple of pics attached... $220 shipped including core charge. I will now have my core on the shelf to have rebuilt when the time comes.

Got the oil cooler lines out of the way, drained the oil, lowered the sway bar, removed the filter, etc. Just not sure how to release the tension on the belt.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0661..jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	12497   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0658..jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	12498  

There is a 19mm hex machined on the tensioner. I haven't gone at it from underneath, but you may be able to slide a ratchet and socket up in there. I just replaced my timing and serpentine belts today, but I had the front end off so access wasn't an issue.

The tensioner is just above and to the right of the alternator. Use a 1/2" drive, long-handle ratchet if possible, position it with the handle towards the driver's side of the engine, and pull down hard. It should free things up enough to slide the belt off of the alternator pulley.

edit: you may also want to attach a bungee cord or something similar to the belt to keep tension and prevent it from getting out of place on any of the other pulleys.

so it should move towards the passengers side, correct?

Haven't had mine off, but make sure you mark which way it turns so you but it back on the same way per the Bentley. Also, if you check your old alt, probably just the regulator bad (usually includes new brushes when you get a new regulator). Good luck

got the belt off, thanks bmlee

what size is the hex for the top alternator bolt? 8mm I tried 10mm

Glad you got it done, I had you pulling instead of pushing. Its been a long couple of days. Can't help you with the alt bolt, haven't had mine off to know.

its an 8mm. now just cant get the alternator to drop down.

It can be a bitch. I had the wiggle/pry mine out when I did it.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

Toolbox

Remove the upper 8mm allen bolt and the 13mm lower bolt. Unplug your field wire (black connector).
    I suggest disconnecting the battery. Swing the alternator left to right. You can work the alternator loose. There is a steel collar that seizes in the aluminum alternator, that makes it difficult to remove. After you lower the alternator, unbolt the 13mm nut on the battery cable. It's a tight fit, but the alternator will come out.

Be sure to reset the steel bushing with a vice. Otherwise you will have trouble reinstalling the alternator.
    03 RS6 Daytona Grey - EFI Express - 01e - SRM K24 - Aquamist - 495whp/580ft-lbs

+1!! if you don't reset the steel bushing, you'll be wishing you did....have a shot, put it in the vise with an oversize socket and press it out. Be careful or there is a new alternator in your future.

Okay, got it all out, and back together. Everything went back together smoothly. I am giving the information out here for where I got the alternator. It fit in directly. (Did have to turn the bushing out just a bit to get it to slip over the mounting bracket. Once I did that, slipped right in no problem.) The alternator pictures are at the beginning of this thread. The windings and fan look to be coated with epoxy. A good thing considering our alternators are down low, and moisture kills alternators. (too much of it anyway).

MANIAC ELECTRIC MOTORS - Christian Vazquez - christian@maniacmotors.com (tell him I sent ya...)
    http://www.maniacelectricmotors.com/150ampboalfo11.html

Hope this helps others out, like the alternator article and my friends on here helped me out. This forum is awesome.

The re-built ones Audi sells are 3 times that price !!

Wish I knew what I know now last year....
    SOLD ! 2003 RS6 Mugello/Silver -MTM
    2001 allroad 6-speed (300K+), 1992 Mercedes-Benz 500E, 2007 Mercedes-Benz CLK63, 2010 BMW X3, 1986 16V Scirocco, 2005 Mercedes E55 Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post
    The re-built ones Audi sells are 3 times that price !!
    I hear you brother...

For anyone else that may need to do this, check to see if there are any rebuilders in your area. My alternator bit the dust a couple of months ago and a local rebuilder rebuild the alternator for $120 and had it back to me the day after I dropped it off to him. He would have had it the same day but had to order the regulator.

Quote Originally Posted by Gustaf View Post
    For anyone else that may need to do this, check to see if there are any rebuilders in your area. My alternator bit the dust a couple of months ago and a local rebuilder rebuild the alternator for $120 and had it back to me the day after I dropped it off to him. He would have had it the same day but had to order the regulator.
    Yes this can be done as well. I now have a core to rebuild, and one on the car.