Thread: How to bake headlights

How to bake headlights

Tried searching on forums but couldn't find a DIY for clear corners. I'm replacing my timing belt next week and thought it would be a good time to remove the ambers. Can someone help me out with how to bake and remove them? Thanks!

I don't know about your specific headlights but I can give you general advice. Place the headlights in the oven on something damp like damp cardboard. You don't want to put them on any trays for obvious reasons! Also, don't put the oven on for too long. I've done headlights before and usually I take them out after 5 mins. If the adhesive is still hard I'll put them back in for a minute. It's better to be safe than sorry.

Also, take your time taking off the seal because there will be lots of clips around the edge of the headlight. You dont want to snap any if possible. I would also recommend being very careful when touching your headlights inside because that chrome rubs off very easy! Take your time. Finally, I recommend using TigerSeal for sealing them back up. I've used it on a few headlights and it's really good stuff. Not seen any condensation on any of my jobs.
    HKS786

http://www.audiforums.com/forum/exte...-a6-c5-164568/

There's a guide for opening your headlights up. I'm sure the amber corner will simply pop out like most headlights. Just take your time and you will figure it out.
    HKS786

It just pops out, the amber corner that is. I used a heat gun on mine to loosen things up. If you are dropping the whole thing in the oven I would pull the Ballast off to be safe.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Well I don't have a heat gun so most likely going to bake them. You guys bake at 225 degrees for ~5 mins?

Yes, I let oven heat up on full heat for a few mins then stick it in for 5 mins. If glue isnt soft put it back it in. But don't keep in for like 10mins because you will melt the clips. Have you got a sealer for closing them back up? BTW you can use a heatgun if you prefer but I think oven is easier.
    HKS786

I used a blow dryer and a utility knife. It's nice if the adhesive doesn't get too stringy. It can make a mess. Once I got a gap, I would cut the adhesive with the knife. Worked good. Didn't even take the headlights out of the car.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats