Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FS: 2011 RNS-E PNP Setup

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer View Post
    I wouldn't be either, have heard the same. Plus the fact that your getting it done under warranty... it's all good. Any idea if they will drop the whole engine or just pull the trans? Curious as my local indy shop is looking at just the transmission pull for my TC replacement but I've read that can be as much or more of a pain to do that the whole engine.
    Not much more time to drop engine AND trans together. Better option to, as you can now check everything else out while it's all out...
    2013 Audi S8

Thanks to Kevin (Tom Sawyer) for the unit!
    HUGE thanks to Mark (Hahnmgh63) for the space and time to do the install!

The most challenging thing to do was deal with the fooking carpeting.
    Since I had factory Nav, Mark suggested to remove the Onstar battery pack, mounting bracket, and OnStar module and use the sharkfin antenna connection (unwound from the wiring harness) and plugged into the RNS-E.
    We also removed the OEM trunk mounted CD Navigation player...

Now to figure out the proper file format/directory format for the MP3 files on the SD cards...
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

zawa

Congrats man. glad it worked out for you.

format is mp3 and you can create folders/subfolders like in windows.

You can also create playlist with this free tool

http://www.oddgravity.de/app-opc.php

Hey post some pics !

zawa

Quote Originally Posted by ben916 View Post
    Thanks to Kevin (Tom Sawyer) for the unit!
    HUGE thanks to Mark (Hahnmgh63) for the space and time to do the install!

The most challenging thing to do was deal with the fooking carpeting.
    Since I had factory Nav, Mark suggested to remove the Onstar battery pack, mounting bracket, and OnStar module and use the sharkfin antenna connection (unwound from the wiring harness) and plugged into the RNS-E.
    We also removed the OEM trunk mounted CD Navigation player...

Now to figure out the proper file format/directory format for the MP3 files on the SD cards...

Btw

If anybody else is looking for the same RNS-E setup, OEM BT-kits, SAT modules, 11/12 OEM disc...replacement parts. I am here :-)
    pm or email please
    Last edited by zawa; July 2nd, 2012 at 20:15. Reason: test

Quote Originally Posted by zawa View Post
    If anybody else is looking for the same RNS-E setup, OEM BT-kits, SAT modules, 11/12 OEM disc...replacement parts. I am here :-)
    pm or email please
    BT is next, do I need a new harness? (currently 2 black/1 Red into 1 large Black connector to the unit)
    If you remember, I purchased Tom Sawyers RNS-E unit so you have history of what he purchased.
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

History is the key.

BT sets come complete with harness, mic, antenna, instructions. For c5 platform you need to mod BT harness as it does not fit well behind RNS-E in c5. I provide instructions for that as well. You will also need to re-code RNS-E. I would have to check what Tom had it coded for. Let me know if interested.

A

BT is next, do I need a new harness? (currently 2 black/1 Red into 1 large Black connector to the unit)
    If you remember, I purchased Tom Sawyers RNS-E unit so you have history of what he purchased.

pm or email please
    I'll be wanting one soon! What's the price for the setup?

That depends what you want

email me.

Quote Originally Posted by bmwade View Post
    I'll be wanting one soon! What's the price for the setup?

Ben, glad to hear you got it installed and up and running. The thing is SWEET isn't it? I miss it every day, glad she went to a good home! MP3's are your friend and the playlist generator zawa referenced is great. FWIW, if you're a mac user you'll want to pop the SD card in a PC to remove all the .DS_Store (and other Mac hidden folders and .xxx metafile/tag files). The RNS-E is not fond of them.

The carpet is SUCH a PITA. Didn't encounter that in my RNS-E install but did when I pulled the onstar module for the costar bluetooth mod. I wasn't aware there was a battery pack for the onstar module, where is that?

Hey Tom

How is life? If you feel, you cant live w/o RNS-E just email me :-)

Regards

A

would like one also - what are next steps?

zawa - what are next steps to order one?

Pm me and I will send you my email or if you are on QW, email me directly.

A

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer View Post
    Ben, glad to hear you got it installed and up and running. The thing is SWEET isn't it? I miss it every day, glad she went to a good home! MP3's are your friend and the playlist generator zawa referenced is great. FWIW, if you're a mac user you'll want to pop the SD card in a PC to remove all the .DS_Store (and other Mac hidden folders and .xxx metafile/tag files). The RNS-E is not fond of them.

The carpet is SUCH a PITA. Didn't encounter that in my RNS-E install but did when I pulled the onstar module for the costar bluetooth mod. I wasn't aware there was a battery pack for the onstar module, where is that?
    The .DS_Store files are what I am referring to, so I will just delete them, yes I am on a Mac.

The battery pack is under the OnStar mounting bracket in a black foam case that opens like an envelope and the lithium ion battery is in it. I can take a photo(s) of all that crap...

ok, so I just viewed the files on the SD card and I don't see the .DS_Store file or an extension or anything.
    Oddly, all the .MP3 files are either read only or archived...
    I reset them all to remove the read only and the archived setting...

ok, so I just viewed the files on the SD card and I don't see the .DS_Store file or an extension or anything.
    Oddly, all the .MP3 files are either read only or archived...
    I reset them all to remove the read only and the archived setting...
    If it's on a PC then you'll probably need to set explorer to show all files and extension (not hide system files etc).

If on a Mac, Finder will not show the files. If you are comfortable running unix commands, you can bring up a shell window and an ls -la will show you the offending . files:

RS6:Work kevin$ ls -la
    total 48
    drwxrwxr-x 29 root admin 1054 Feb 14 19:47 .
    drwxrwxrwt@ 6 root admin 204 Jul 1 14:48 ..
    -rw-r--r--@ 1 kevin admin 21508 Jul 1 14:48 .DS_Store
    d--x--x--x 6 root wheel 204 Jun 18 19:57 .DocumentRevisions-V100
    drwxr-xr-x+ 3 root admin 102 Feb 4 15:46 .MobileBackups
    drwx------ 5 root admin 170 Dec 6 2011 .Spotlight-V100
    drwxrwxrwt@ 3 kevin admin 102 Dec 29 2011 .TemporaryItems
    d-wx-wx-wt 3 root staff 102 Jun 18 19:57 .Trashes
    drwx------ 17 root admin 578 Jun 18 19:56 .fseventsd
    drwxrwxr-x 8 kevin admin 272 Dec 25 2011 App Data
    drwxrwxr-x 12 kevin admin 408 Jan 8 16:13 Backup

Kill them using rm, etc.... And um... be careful with rm -Rf .... :-)

Another option is this nifty app:

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/40833/ds_store-cleaner

By and large, if a PC is handy it's the easiest option, just need to set windows explorer to show all files.... hope that helps some!

How is life? If you feel, you cant live w/o RNS-E just email me :-)

Regards

A
    Things are going well! I definitely shall, still recoup'ing from the 75k/TC but once my toy funds are replentished I'll probably go for another. Of course, by that time, some other shiny thing may have caught my eye...

Hope you're doing well these days!