Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Potential? AKA: Why was the RS6 I drove so...slow?

Beware Potential? AKA: Why was the RS6 I drove so...slow?

Currently driving a stock A6 2.7T 6spd with 120K miles, overall good working order.

Last week, I looked over a stock 03RS6 with 120K miles. Required maintenance in order, but looked like it needed valve cover seals, timing chain tensioner seals, and so forth. Suspension felt good.

The test drive was surprising, not in a good way. After all the talk and hype, I was expecting something truly monstrous. The reality was, it felt similar to an S5, until about 4K/4.5K rpm. At that point, I could feel the turbos helping, then it felt like my 2.7T, and then, finally, on the top end, it felt better than the 2.7T.

It didn't feel much different than my current car, until 4500rpm...sure, that car would outrun my 2.7T, but not by much, and the biggest difference would be at speeds well over the limit anyway.

Browsing the FAQ, I noticed the 4.2T is prone to boost leaks.

Question time...feel free to play along, or laugh and flame, whichever is more appropriate.

Where should the stock turbos begin to make a difference?

I see many chips offered, but not much (if at all) in the way of turbos, coolers, parts for the mill itself. Why not?

What kind of potential does this engine have? Overbore, H-beam rods, larger turbos, twinscroll...?

As far as the appointments, I was actually less impressed by the all-black + CF trim than the tan + two-tone + fake wood in the A6. Is there an alternative interior, or is it better to just DIY?

My goal is a significantly overpowered sedan, capable of hauling 3 or 4 people over the Continental Divide on a moderately snow- and ice-covered road, with snowboarding gear...then turn around and take a couple girls to the ballet/opera/theater in style. The 2.7T does that in stock form, but I want more, and the choices are RS6 +IPT and a good bit of parts and wrenching, or keep the A6 and go +0.3L, Frankenturbos, ICs and so forth.

Thanks in advance...still wondering if the additional two cylinders is worth giving up the 6spd manual and the interior I like. Help a guy out, eh?

Thanks,
    Sean

You say it needed maintenance..maybe it was in limp mode? Limp mode is about 1/2 power...
    2013 Audi S8

Not a chance the car was running right, before I did all my add ons, just a flash, gutted DP's and exhaust, I made 424/506 at the wheels at a RS6 dyno day....that's just a flash with a little more breathing...that is smoke a 2.7 power
    Ebony/Black, DBR Stage 3 race kit, -SOLD :( 996TT Proto 650 basically a sardine can with a rocket attached to the back...11' CTS-V, 540/579RWP hehehehe ;)

......sounds like you should just stick with your 2.7.
    91' NSX Turbo 700whp/550tq
    03' RS6 550ish bhp/tq
    09' R8 :-)

I drove two before buying, one a rocket, one a dog, guess which I'm driving The car I bought only had a REVO tune as far as I know, but felt like it had 100+ hp over the other, world of difference...limp mode, boost leak, hmmmmm...
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Stock boost starts at around 2k and should really hit hard around 3k...
    If I were you, I would run away from that one with 120k miles...

Also, if the RS6 is not warmed up (both water and oil), boost is limited
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

I drove two before buying

Yeah, stock, they are not rockets, but they will eat the a$$ out of a 2.7T. Be careful....selling price is right for a reason. That car could cost more than a perfect car. What is your location?
    2013 Audi S8

What Ben said -- RUN AWAY! My car is bone stock, no mods, no flash, no nuthin', and it pinned me in the back of my seat with ease when I punched it on the freeway. Something is wrong with the car you drove.
    2003 RS6, Mugello Blue/Ebony - SOLD :-(
    2015 S5 Coupe, Mythos Black w/Black Optics package and an attitude

Good advice, I'll keep looking.

Unless your looking to go cheap, there are some fine examples around here for sale. Modded and ready to go.....
    03 RS6, VIPER ECU, MTM TCU, Milltek Full Catless Non Res setup from Turbos to the boxes(ROAR'S), H&R Coilovers, Hotchkiss ARB's, 19x10's with 275-30-19 PSS's at each corner, Kenwood 9960 Head unit, V1 Radar Locator. 517 Trans Rebuild, ScrollProducts Turbo Rebuild.

Crusinrs6 went from a 2.7t to a RS6 and I am pretty sure he thinks the RS6 is much faster. I have never driven the 2.7t so it is hard for me to make a comparison. In my chipped car I feel the turbos at 2500 RPMs and it is a very strong pull.

As for interior, I have a piano black trim and I like it a lot. I don't think it was stock though and may have come from a A6 (previous owner installed it). Other simple improvements are the LED interior lighting which looks good on the white leather.

I will say I would rather manual than auto though.
    2003 Daytona/Silver RS6

an ECU flash is all these cars really need. That puts the car at around 520 or so bhp. That's a lot of power, and you should be feeling it.

the car you drove could have had all kinds of issues, including a slipping torque converter.

This is my first automatic car in my life, 23 years of driving. I've gotten used to it and as far as automatics go, it's very smooth. I only miss manual control when launching the car; the car's paddle shifters help in cornering if the transmission doesn't get it right, which is rare. I also had to get used to coasting and letting the transmission slow the car, uh, automatically, instead of shifting down and engine braking which was a very strong habit of mine.

The car would be faster with a manual I believe - torque converters create a lot of drivetrain loss.

I personally wouldn't bother getting into the engine, unless you have a lot of time and money to burn. The longblock is surprisingly reliable. A turbo upgrade will get you to 640bhp I think? You'll need a serious transmission rebuild to take that power though.

For a car with manic acceleration, your money would be better spent on a MkIV Supra or a Lancer Evo. Parts are a lot cheaper, ECUs are a dime a dozen, and you can swap conrods and pistons to your hearts content. I thought about modding for over 600bhp, but with the size of this car, I just don't think it's worth it.

I don't think I've seen anyone do it, but in theory the 4.2L should be good for 700-800bhp. Not sure if the required turbos would fit in the engine bay though, and the compression ratio would have to come down as well to about 8:1. At that point, the project would be costing you six figures.
    Das Silberkugel - Eurocharged Stage 2/MTM/Level 10/Hotchkis/Koni/H&R
    2015 Ducati 1299S Panigale
    2014 Ducati Multistrada Granturismo

I have both motors , a 2.7 and the 4.2....the 2.7 6 speed with stage I from O.Ct is pretty fast as far as 6cylinders go , the RS6 with MTM Stage I is a scary fast brute.

That car your drove sounds like it has major motor issues if it's not impressing you on a drive.
    SOLD ! 2003 RS6 Mugello/Silver -MTM
    2001 allroad 6-speed (300K+), 1992 Mercedes-Benz 500E, 2007 Mercedes-Benz CLK63, 2010 BMW X3, 1986 16V Scirocco, 2005 Mercedes E55 Wagon

Could be a variety of issues with the RS6 you drove - from simple fix to something more difficult. Can't say without logs, inspections, etc.

As far as a nutty modding quest goes.. You may be better off with the 2.7 as there is a lot more big HP/ parts support, room to work on it, and you have the manual trans already.
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..
    "Some people play hard to get... I play hard to want."

+1^^ Rich over at Viper Tuning I believe has the Older RS4 with the 2.7 and is pushing way over 700hp. So if you want to stay with the 6speed the 2.7 can be made ridiculously fast with heavy mods. I would have liked to have gone that route, but nothing replaces that Catless Milltek V8 Rumble. So Intoxicating..........................
    03 RS6, VIPER ECU, MTM TCU, Milltek Full Catless Non Res setup from Turbos to the boxes(ROAR'S), H&R Coilovers, Hotchkiss ARB's, 19x10's with 275-30-19 PSS's at each corner, Kenwood 9960 Head unit, V1 Radar Locator. 517 Trans Rebuild, ScrollProducts Turbo Rebuild.

That car is broken...but look for an unmodded car and do it yourself so you know where its been...there is plenty laying around unmolested...the transmissions are glass in these things. I had 5 including the original in my 89K miles car stock....it was ready for 6 when i traded it. Mine had an internment boost problem early on and drove like the car you drove...the tranny was cutting the boost way back...once that was fixed my car was probably one of the fastest stock...dyno'd at 394 at the wheels, low 4s to 60...fast enough. Everybody here now is mod happy but seriously you have to be careful unless you want to spend a quick $8K on a new trans out of the gate. The engine and turbos are bullet proof but nothing else is. I owned my car for over 6 years and still never thought the risk was worth it. My S5 though is tuned to 400hp...it can take it all around.
    2012 R8 GT #275 Suzuka, 2014 RS7 Suzuka/Lunar Silver, 2013 RS5 Suzuka/Lunar Silver
    2000 Audi TT Neiman Marcus Edition #47, 1960 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible
    Past...03 RS6, 10 S5 Cabriolet, 00 NMTT #25, 94 Audi Cabriolet

Some cars are stock and will blow 5 trannies. Other cars are modded but not abused and on same trans or for a long time. 60 k on mine since I bought it and just change tranny fluid w BND. And MTM chip.. my TC was replaced by previous owner once. Original trans. No problems at 151k miles.. kmock on wood. In the end its all a crap shoot.
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..
    "Some people play hard to get... I play hard to want."