Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Completed: DIY DRC removal/swap with Koni Yellow Sports....

Quote Originally Posted by nistah View Post
    Super huge thanks to hahnmgh63 & Muggy for the generous assistance and insight!!!

My mechanic has asked me to check here to ask about a few things he wants to know...he has the rear koni's set to the 2nd lower setting and is happy with that however with respect to the front he suggested he is not 100% happy with the springs as he is a perfectionist and suggested I grab springs from a C5 4.2 or S6 does this sound like a good direction to head in seeing as the Koni's were designed for A6 platform and we are using them for off label purposes in the RS6 suspension?

Also was asked which sway bar links are best to pair with the Hotchkiss setup?

Thank you everyone!
    You started the thread with this........

Koni part #'s
    Front: 82-2516sport
    Rear: 82-2526sport
    and H&R lowering springs

and then said this....

Also planning to use the factory springs as I don't want to use the H&R kit because I don't want to lower the stance of the car too much, any risk with going with the the OEM factory springs matched up to Koni's once everything is apart? Does a new regular version of the springs exist that does not lower but provides new OEM or OEM like springs to match to the Koni's?

so I haven't quite got my head around which springs are on the car.

Personally I would ask for a specific reason why the mechanic wants to use other than genuine RS6 springs. I would guess that there is some difference between C5 4.2 springs and RS springs and I can't see the difference being in your favour.
    2003 Sportec RS6, 2001 Revo RS4, 2000 A4 GP quattro, 1963 Unimog 404 TLF8

Quote Originally Posted by IchBautAuto View Post
    You started the thread with this........

Koni part #'s
    Front: 82-2516sport
    Rear: 82-2526sport
    and H&R lowering springs

and then said this....

Also planning to use the factory springs as I don't want to use the H&R kit because I don't want to lower the stance of the car too much, any risk with going with the the OEM factory springs matched up to Koni's once everything is apart? Does a new regular version of the springs exist that does not lower but provides new OEM or OEM like springs to match to the Koni's?

so I haven't quite got my head around which springs are on the car.

Personally I would ask for a specific reason why the mechanic wants to use other than genuine RS6 springs. I would guess that there is some difference between C5 4.2 springs and RS springs and I can't see the difference being in your favour.
    IchBautAuto thanks for your reply, I was not very clear, to clarify the bold in my OP was copy & paste error, my plan worked out as I described above: Hotchkiss F&R sway bars, Koni Yellow's using the OEM springs at the moment along with some new HD control arms & I think it drives and sits very nicely now that I've got everything put back together. The mechanic advised me that he is a perfectionist and recommended I ask 2 questions on the forum:

1. Which sway links are best to use with the Hotchkiss F & R sway bar setup. My sources on Audizine are saying that https://store.034motorsport.com/sphe...-4-motion.html
    these sway links are a slight upgrade from stock and I was told that they are only necessary in the rear not front does that sound right?

2. Has anyone tried using S6 springs or C5 A6 4.2 springs with the Koni yellows, he said it's fine as it is however suggested I check this out to get the perfect ride dialed in.....
    Current: Black Pearl Metallic Effect/Ebony, RNS-E, Euro + pedals, oCarbon, Hotchkiss Front & Rear Sway Bars, Koni Yellow's

Still not sure exactly which springs you have on the car, I'm assuming RS6 springs, in which case I would keep those. It would be a downgrade using S6 or A6 springs. I used Bilstein dampers with RS6 springs and works very well for me. I wouldn't bother with any other combination (ie coilovers for the street) and whether Bilstein or Koni you'll get the same outcome.

Sway bar links. Standard front links are adequate, the rear normally need an upgrade to metal links. Now to the details, you'll get a sharper response with spherical joints, less so with poly and then less again with rubber. Downside, the spherical are noisier.

I have 034 links on the rear of my RS4 (25mm bar) and a Euro brand on the front (32mm bar). The 034 spherical joints can chop out quite quickly for some reason and they are not replaceable, it's a complete new link. The euro front links don't display that sort of wear so either way, they aren't a lifetime fit but my experience with the 034 items is life is shorter than some other options.

Wrapping with silicon tape makes a good boot and goes some way to extending the life from road grit.
    2003 Sportec RS6, 2001 Revo RS4, 2000 A4 GP quattro, 1963 Unimog 404 TLF8

Got my 2Bennett coil overs installed...picked up from another forum member for a great price (thanks Chase!), super happy with these so far as they are more stable than the Bilstein and H&R sport spring combo, but not harsh on the ride. Looking back, for a static setup to replace the DRC, I should have kept the stock springs with the Bilsteins, but wanted a slightly lower look. The H&R's are decent, but about 1.5" drop and just a hair lower than my steep driveway really likes. That said, I'll be selling my gently used Bilstein setup shortly...about 2k miles on them in 2-2.5 years and all new at that time (struts, springs, and soft parts to assemble).

I have the same koni installed but without the adjustment kit.
    Is it available seperate from the konis?

With the kindest regards.
    Mugello Blue C5 RS6 Avant Viper Tuning ECU/TCU
    MTM Bimoto wheels 9,5 x 19 ET 30 LK 5x112 with 275/30/19 tyres
    MTM exhaust system cat back 4-pipe with throttle valves in 2 pipes, control

Quote Originally Posted by kilian tuning View Post
    I have the same koni installed but without the adjustment kit.
    Is it available seperate from the konis?

With the kindest regards.
    These originally came from 2Bennett Motorsports as an assembled kit...not sure if they sell the parts separately or not. Certainly worth reaching out to them to ask...

https://2bennett.com

[QUOTE=IchBautAuto;295166]

Sway bar links. Standard front links are adequate, the rear normally need an upgrade to metal links. Now to the details, you'll get a sharper response with spherical joints, less so with poly and then less again with rubber. Downside, the spherical are noisier.

I have 034 links on the rear of my RS4 (25mm bar) and a Euro brand on the front (32mm bar). The 034 spherical joints can chop out quite quickly for some reason and they are not replaceable, it's a complete new link. The euro front links don't display that sort of wear so either way, they aren't a lifetime fit but my experience with the 034 items is life is shorter than some other options.

Wrapping with silicon tape makes a good boot and goes some way to extending the life from road grit.[/QUOTE

Thank you for your insight here the final suspension upgrade I am looking to install to complement my Koni Yellow Sports and OEM RS6 springs are the sway bar end links based off of your suggestion I decided to go with some Moog chassis part's known as the "The Problem Solver" it's part # K80699.....does anyone have any insight into how difficult/time consuming these are to swap for the OEM sway bar links which are currently on the car? TIA
    Current: Black Pearl Metallic Effect/Ebony, RNS-E, Euro + pedals, oCarbon, Hotchkiss Front & Rear Sway Bars, Koni Yellow's

Bumping this thread, my beast running great however recently started throwing the red exclamation point brake light on the dash, runs great just want to clear the code I suspect it's result of ditching the DRC for Koni Yellows and putting in the Hotchkiss sway bars.....

can anyone advise how to bypass the above mentioned brake light on the instrument cluster? Can it be done using VAG COM?

Unrelated to DRC.
    Low on fluid or something else amiss (bad ABS module?).
    Check fluid & scan for codes.

Exactly what Nubcake said. DRC is completely mechanical system, no electrical hookups for any of it. As he said, check the Reservoir first, check the codes, double check the parking brake lever is seated off, run a scan.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Can anyone who went with Bilsteins w/ stock springs share what part #s you used for the shocks please? Looking to compare all the options. Has anyone (with either shock setup) found their factory springs to be too worn out and end up replacing them with a new factory set? Or at that point does it make more sense to get aftermarket springs, or a full coilover setup?

Part numbers I used for B3s were 24-065085 and 24-065092. I used the stock springs without issue, weren’t too worn out for my needs. Ride height for me was identical to DRC, and worked for daily highway driving. I had F & R Hotchkis installed as well.

Quote Originally Posted by AudiPilot View Post
    Part numbers I used for B3s were 24-065085 and 24-065092. I used the stock springs without issue, weren’t too worn out for my needs. Ride height for me was identical to DRC, and worked for daily highway driving. I had F & R Hotchkis installed as well.
    Awesome, thanks for the info!!