Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Completed: DIY DRC removal/swap with Koni Yellow Sports....

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    Nice work! I'm doing this same swap next week. Was thinking of using the lowest perch for the rears, by your pics it looked to be riding a bit higher than the front. What's your impression of your cars stance? Just hoping I don't sag in the back. Really looking forward to the new ride as my drc is harsh as hell frozen over...going to start with soft all around and go from there.
    Thanks! If I knew then, what I know now, I would've started at full soft on the rebound settings AND placed the rears on the lowest perch hieght... The rear does sit just a smit higher ("1/4") than the front, but it also had an empty gas tank at the time of measurement and pics... It does, however, sit slightly more level than it did with the DRC.

Since the car will be an all-season (-30 to 100F) daily driver with a 60 mile round trip commute, slightly softer would've neen ok... But, maybe with warmer temps and a few thousand miles, it'll set'll in... I could reset the front rebound with no alignment consecences in about an hour... The rears are a different story and would require an alignment upon completion.
    2003 RS6 l SE Exhaust l Koni Yellow Sports w/stock springs l Lowered 1"F 1.25"R l EPL Tuned l 19 x 9.5 VMR V713 & 265 PSS's l 50% window tint l Protective film on entire hood, bumper and front quarter panels l

All of the Koni's I have driven softened slightly over time. At about 10K miles it stayed the same. I usually set the rebound in the middle, and never had to adjust them again.
    Daytona/Ebony/Carbon/SEE/RNS-E/19X9 Speedline "Peelers"

Just a quick update on the Koni Yellow Sports with stock spring install:

Last weekend I decided to "tune" the new Koni's... Not that anything was wrong with the ride or compliance, but just wanted to ever so slightly soften the ride...

The initial settings after install were:

Fronts: 1 turn from full soft rebound and stock Koni perch height.
    Rears: 1/2 turn from full soft rebound and middle Koni perch height. (There are 3 lower perch heights)

The new settings are:

Fronts: 1/2 turn from full soft rebound and stock Koni perch height.
    Rears: 1/4 turn from full soft rebound and low Koni perch height. (There are 3 lower perch heights)

Ride compliance is now perfect for my driving lifestyle!... The rear ride height dropped about 1/4" yeilding a "level chasis." The car now sits perfectly level!... No rake. Most of the rake was removed after swapping the DRC out, but it was still slightly high in the rear... Softening the rebound a bit and moving to the lower perch on the rears was worth the 4 hours!
    2003 RS6 l SE Exhaust l Koni Yellow Sports w/stock springs l Lowered 1"F 1.25"R l EPL Tuned l 19 x 9.5 VMR V713 & 265 PSS's l 50% window tint l Protective film on entire hood, bumper and front quarter panels l

Aww man Crew. Posting this without a pic? Your in violation of a number of Ben916's posting policies!
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

Good to hear, thanks for the updates, pics or it didn't happen

Your description of the rear perches is a bit confusing, how about stock height for the lowest, then each one up a 1/4" more raised.

Glad to hear it's nice and level, I cannot wait to have mine out of it's jacked up DRC mode. I'm planning full soft all around as I think that should hold the car firm. What's your reasoning for a bit stiffer in the front, engine weight, nose diving I guess? How compliant are the small bumps now? I know it's tough to describe, but all the 1" ruts and holes around town kill my back, so I've been thinking full soft just to be safe...
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Pics as promised... Err, maybe due to heavy peer pressure!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0303121719..jpg 
Views:	487 
Size:	59.6 KB 
ID:	12387Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0303121719a..jpg 
Views:	489 
Size:	67.9 KB 
ID:	12382Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0303121721b..jpg 
Views:	470 
Size:	88.3 KB 
ID:	12386Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0303121721..jpg 
Views:	510 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	12391Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0303121719b..jpg 
Views:	465 
Size:	92.6 KB 
ID:	12388Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0303121718..jpg 
Views:	450 
Size:	74.0 KB 
ID:	12389Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0303121718a..jpg 
Views:	396 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	12383Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0303121720..jpg 
Views:	393 
Size:	71.0 KB 
ID:	12384Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0303121721a..jpg 
Views:	441 
Size:	88.1 KB 
ID:	12390

To answer some previous questions:

Your description of the rear perches is a bit confusing, how about stock height for the lowest, then each one up a 1/4" more raised.... Sorry, it is not only confusing, but hard to articulately describe... I could be wrong, but I think a stock RS6 with the DRC properly set-up, has a slight chasis rake... I prefer the car to sit level with a full belly of fuel---and the lowest rear perch height on the Koni's yeilds that on my car.

What's your reasoning for a bit stiffer in the front, engine weight, nose diving I guess?
    The Koni's range of adjustability is different on the front than the rears.... 2 1/4 turns of adjustability on the fronts and only 1 1/8 turns on the rears. Also, to make it even more confusing, I do not think there is a linear dependence (ie. a half turn from full soft rebound might still be quite firm, but a half turn from full firm will likely feel no different than full firm)

How compliant are the small bumps now? I know it's tough to describe, but all the 1" ruts and holes around town kill my back, so I've been thinking full soft just to be safe...
    Noticably better after last weeks "tuning." I don't think you will go wrong at full soft front and rear.

Please ignore attached lower image... Irrelevant to this posting.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0303121727..jpg 
Views:	427 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	12385  

The car looks perfect, really nice pics! Bad enough without my car for a few weeks, but knowing the suspension will be sorted out will be great! Thanks for the reply to the questions, I agree with your points, very good!
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

This article has some nice details, and great pics of the stock stance, albeit I believe the 5 spoke Euro's were 19's..."Lord of the rings"...I like it!

http://www.netcarshow.com/audi/2002-rs6_sedan/

This article has some nice details, and great pics of the stock stance, albeit I believe the 5 spoke Euro's were 19's..."Lord of the rings"...I like it!

http://www.netcarshow.com/audi/2002-rs6_sedan/
    Wow! That does exemplify a nice stance!....

those pics have always made me frustrated in how post-DRC recall cars sit so high, when the new and stock RS6 sat just right.

Where did you source the Konis? What was the part number/were the struts RS6-specific, or for the A6/S6/RS6 range? I'd like to do struts only, as I have a set of H&R springs sitting in my closet - I want to go low, mean, and stiffer than stock!
    Das Silberkugel - Eurocharged Stage 2/MTM/Level 10/Hotchkis/Koni/H&R
    2015 Ducati 1299S Panigale
    2014 Ducati Multistrada Granturismo

Kismet, the part numbers are listed early in this thread I think. I wouldn't want the car any lower IMO, and I'm thinking the stock springs should be high quality so I'm looking to leave them on...then again I've got the old man back and need the ride a touch smoother.

Ordered from Race Inspired for $746 total...

Kismet, the part numbers are listed early in this thread I think. I wouldn't want the car any lower IMO, and I'm thinking the stock springs should be high quality so I'm looking to leave them on...then again I've got the old man back and need the ride a touch smoother.
    I have always set my Koni's to 60%, and never been unhappy (or maybe the unwiser....naaaah) for it.

Koni's have always been good to me.

This is a great option.

Go DRC go!
    Daytona/Ebony/Carbon/SEE/RNS-E/19X9 Speedline "Peelers"

Thanks for the follow-up!...

Sourced from TireRack

And, agree with no lower for me as well!

true, looking at it closely, it really can't go much lower. But try 10mm spacers...after I installed mine, I lost all desire to buy new rims. The stock 18" wheels look great with that extra centimeter of offset.

conventional suspension tuning wisdom is to go harder in the rear than the front, to combat understeer. But since ride compliance is your goal, go with what feels best. I'll most likely crank everything to the stiffest possible...

Does anyone know if the H&R lowering springs are just lower, or are significantly stiffer than the stock springs?

now it looks perfect , well done 4.2Crew, it's certainly the way i am going to do it when the time comes to swap the DRC. As for the pictures with the RS6, most certainly originating from Audi, i doubt it that these cars ever sat like the one in the pictures, have a look at the RS6 on TopGear 2002 at 03:50 and you will see that it sits a bit higher on the rear...unlike the one in the pictures! Those pictures must've been PS'ed or somehow altered but i am almost sure the car never had that stance, maybe the owners who bought it new could make some light ....
    Ex.: 2004 Audi RS6 C5 ABT, Milltek non-resonated, 19" RS4 B7 rims, RNS-E - SOLD
    2004 AUdi RS6 C5, SE exhaust, RNS-E, 19' original rims - SOLD
    Now :2009 Audi RS6 C6 - stock yet pretty fast

4.2 crew, I think you are breaking new ground here. I wonder how many of us would prefer your sistem and save quite a bit of cash for almost no change in ride/handling? ¿And what about supplementing the shocks with Hotchkiss Sway bars?, By the way, congrats. on a very nice-looking ride, very nice looking garage, yuo must have many other good looking things, seems a treat of your personality. Congratulations again.

I've got Hotchkis bars installed. A solution to the DRC is all that's left to sort the suspension. Then all I have left on the durability wish list is an upgraded torque converter.

Still beats the pants off of rebuilding the V8 M5 engine every 100K miles or so, nevermind the ARC suspension nightmare that Mercedes used in the same time period...

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Joe View Post
    4.2 crew, I think you are breaking new ground here. I wonder how many of us would prefer your sistem and save quite a bit of cash for almost no change in ride/handling? ¿And what about supplementing the shocks with Hotchkiss Sway bars?, By the way, congrats. on a very nice-looking ride, very nice looking garage, yuo must have many other good looking things, seems a treat of your personality. Congratulations again.
    Thanks for the kind words!.... My wife would certainly like the quote: "...you must have many other good looking things, seems a treat of your personality."

Could not be happier with the set-up... H-bars? Probably. But not a "must-have now" as the car slaloms very well for my driving style.