Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Completed: DIY DRC removal/swap with Koni Yellow Sports....

...you mean the self adjusting height control...
    Mugello Blue C5 RS6 Avant Viper Tuning ECU/TCU
    MTM Bimoto wheels 9,5 x 19 ET 30 LK 5x112 with 275/30/19 tyres
    MTM exhaust system cat back 4-pipe with throttle valves in 2 pipes, control

Ya I'm sure he means the leveling sensor for the headlights.

Its on the front drivers side lower front control arm. It could have been forgotten/overlooked upon reassembly.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

Look for this linkage inside the front driver's wheel well to ensure it isn't busted, corroded or disconnected...

2003 RS6 l SE Exhaust l Koni Yellow Sports w/stock springs l Lowered 1"F 1.25"R l EPL Tuned l 19 x 9.5 VMR V713 & 265 PSS's l 50% window tint l Protective film on entire hood, bumper and front quarter panels l

The shop that installed my konis said because I installed aftermarket stuff and not OEM said because my shocks were self adjusting that the light will go off. Does this sound right?

Ok I'll take a look at it when I can, and yes kilian I meant the self adjusting height control lol, sorry couldn't remember what the guys at the shop told me.

Quote Originally Posted by dre View Post
    The shop that installed my konis said because I installed aftermarket stuff and not OEM said because my shocks were self adjusting that the light will go off. Does this sound right?
    No, be wary of your shop...

btw, my headlights have pointed low ever since the Koni's, you guys get this? Need to do some adjusting, tried the light adjust screws and vag, need to trick a sensor into level i think.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    No, be wary of your shop...

btw, my headlights have pointed low ever since the Koni's, you guys get this? Need to do some adjusting, tried the light adjust screws and vag, need to trick a sensor into level i think.
    Agreed. Be wary of the shop.

I readjusted my headlights slightly higher by tweeking the linkage and bracket that can be seen in my previous post... Could be judged as a bit "shade tree", but it worked!
    2003 RS6 l SE Exhaust l Koni Yellow Sports w/stock springs l Lowered 1"F 1.25"R l EPL Tuned l 19 x 9.5 VMR V713 & 265 PSS's l 50% window tint l Protective film on entire hood, bumper and front quarter panels l

ok cool, I`ll keep you guys posted on whats going on!

Kilian,
    Can you tell me please what kind of clearance your wheels / tyres give your struts as I am wondering whether this is the widest wheel / tyre combination that can be used with the RS6 Avant.
    04 S4 4.2 V8 manual Convertible - 04 RS6 Avant - 03 A2 1.6FSI soon to be 270bhp 20V 1.8 with LPG - 91 Audi V8

Well got in there today and sure enough it was disconnected! Connected it and the light went away. Thanks a bunch guys. Your are the best. Now to figure out why the ABS and traction control light is on lol. Thanks 4.2 and everyone else for all your input, oh and about 300 miles so far with the konis on and its riding really well. A difference of night and day.

Glad to hear that was it, bummer about the other lights. Again, spending $250 for the ross-tech software has been invaluable in being able to troubleshoot issues before taking to the mechanic.

Really like the Koni ride, still two minor things since the swap that bug me. Headlights are a bit low, gotta get off my ass and fine tune them More vibration/road feel through the wheel. Now this can be great when cornering, but i swear i feel every bit of the road when cruising, would like it to be smooth as silk on a smooth road. We've pulled the car apart a few times, almost every suspension part is new, even tried different wheel/tire sets, still bits of vibration. I figure all is super tight so i just feel more, the mushy drc would get little stuff on the freeway at 80...

The Koni's are a great ride and height, almost perfect...
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    Glad to hear that was it, bummer about the other lights. Again, spending $250 for the ross-tech software has been invaluable in being able to troubleshoot issues before taking to the mechanic.

Really like the Koni ride, still two minor things since the swap that bug me. Headlights are a bit low, gotta get off my ass and fine tune them More vibration/road feel through the wheel. Now this can be great when cornering, but i swear i feel every bit of the road when cruising, would like it to be smooth as silk on a smooth road. We've pulled the car apart a few times, almost every suspension part is new, even tried different wheel/tire sets, still bits of vibration. I figure all is super tight so i just feel more, the mushy drc would get little stuff on the freeway at 80...

The Koni's are a great ride and height, almost perfect...
    ok, that makes sense! I was wondering why my headlights, even though they're too bright to look at, seem to light up the road less. Adjust them higher, got it

The Koni struts with the stock springs probably deliver the best combination of better performance and reasonable ground clearance. The ride with H&R springs is, while great during spirited driving, pretty harsh over bumps that normal cars just float over. Sometimes I fly out of my seat a bit, but I'm pretty accustomed to rock-hard suspensions. I've found the lowered ground clearance has made it impossible to go through most automatic car washes and I've bottomed out the car's frame a couple times on some very steep driveways.

I wonder about the vibration you're feeling. Initially I'd say bushings, wheel balance or alignment, but seems like you took care of that. I had vibration issues but sorted it with new control arms, new tires, and worked over the alignment thoroughly. There is more road feel definitely though; whenever I drive my wife's Hyundai I swear it feels like the steering wheel on old arcade games.
    Das Silberkugel - Eurocharged Stage 2/MTM/Level 10/Hotchkis/Koni/H&R
    2015 Ducati 1299S Panigale
    2014 Ducati Multistrada Granturismo

FYI

For anybody considering this setup....ordered mine this morning!

http://www.tirerack.com/specialoffer...p?promoID=I312
    03 RS6 Daytona Grey - EFI Express - 01e - SRM K24 - Aquamist - 495whp/580ft-lbs

Anyone trying the Koni FSD - or is everyone going Sports?
    Daytona/Ebony/Carbon/SEE/RNS-E/19X9 Speedline "Peelers"

With the Koni's what kind of stance is your car at? What are the heights front & rear? After I installed my KW's I re-leveled the headlights and then did the Vagcom headlight level calibration and all is fine.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Hi guys

Great thread!!!

However - one thing that has not been covered: what do you do with the DRC fluid, and are the cannisters and pipework all left in place?

I assume it's wise just to disconnect the pipes from the DRC struts and cap the pipe off in a convenient place and just leave the fluid in the system as it's redundant and leave the pipes in place as it's a pig to remove them all?

Or do you need to drain all the fluid??

Thanks guys!!

I would hang a can or a plastic bag over the end of each line and blow compressed air through the system to evacuate all the fluid. 1 less thing to leak. A little weight savings too...LOL...
    2013 Audi S8

I completely removed all of the DRC lines (just like metal Brake lines) that go Front Right to Rear Left & Front Left to Rear Right. And un-bolted the to accumulators crossover valves from the front of the spare tire well. A few pounds savings and do you really ever intend to go back? If you have KWV3's I guarantee you won't. Not sure of the exact content of the fluid but seemed like pretty standard Hydraulic fluid, probably about 10w or something.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA