Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Completed: DIY DRC removal/swap with Koni Yellow Sports....

My DRC will have to stay for a while now...stupid transmission...
    2013 Audi S8

Hey 4.2 where did you buy your strut mounts? Did you buy them on tire rack as well?

I purchased the OEM mounts online...
    2003 RS6 l SE Exhaust l Koni Yellow Sports w/stock springs l Lowered 1"F 1.25"R l EPL Tuned l 19 x 9.5 VMR V713 & 265 PSS's l 50% window tint l Protective film on entire hood, bumper and front quarter panels l

Oops. Sorry. Didn't really answer your question completely.

Purchased oem's from:

http://genuineaudiparts.com/partloca...?siteid=214407

I've seen aftermarket mounts from NAPA... Wasn't too impressed. They weighed half the weight eom's and the rubber felt more plastic'y than rubber'y. So decided to stick with oem's.
    2003 RS6 l SE Exhaust l Koni Yellow Sports w/stock springs l Lowered 1"F 1.25"R l EPL Tuned l 19 x 9.5 VMR V713 & 265 PSS's l 50% window tint l Protective film on entire hood, bumper and front quarter panels l

Well I went ahead and ordered it from tire rack. Should have it by mid week. That will give me Saturday and Sunday to install it. I`ll keep you guys posted! Thanks for all the help.

I just got the konis from tire rack and I was wondering how do I adjust the rebound dampening on the suspension? The instructions really don't explain it thoroughly lol, just a bunch of pictures and no words lol. 4.2 any advice since you have already did this.

IIRC -non-externally adjustable Koni's are adjusted prior to installation by completely compressing the damper and rotating the shaft until you feel it engage. I then back it all of the way off (soften) and then fully tighten (hardest), noting these positions. This gives me the full known range of settings. I have typically then set mine at the mid point, and left them like that for as long as I had the car, with great results - I love Koni's. For the RS6, I would be tempted due to weight and the general nature of the car, to set it at 3/4's hard. Good thing - these settings may be adjusted at a later time if the results are not desired or the shock has softened with use (typical). Bad thing - you have to disassemble the suspension and free the shock to do it.

Good luck!
    Daytona/Ebony/Carbon/SEE/RNS-E/19X9 Speedline "Peelers"

I set mine at lowest spring perch, perfect level. Originally at full soft rebound, would go one click firm now that broken in, stock springs, love it!
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by dre View Post
    I just got the konis from tire rack and I was wondering how do I adjust the rebound dampening on the suspension? The instructions really don't explain it thoroughly lol, just a bunch of pictures and no words lol. 4.2 any advice since you have already did this.
    If you poke around on Koni's website, you'll find detailed instructions and info... As other's have said, push (compress) the rod all the way in until it bottoms. Then, rotate rotate using the appropriate allen wrench--- I think full soft is counter-clockwise until no more rotation, and full firm is clockwise with no more rotation. I'm set very close to full soft as a daily MN Winter comuter...

Be advised:

1) There is one perch hieght for the fronts and two for the rear----most set the rears on the lowest perch hieght.

2) There is more rotational adjustability in the front than rears.

3) There seems to be a non-linear dependency between the setting and firmness.... ie. Dampening set at the midway point on both fronts and rears is still very firm.----At least IMHO.

Good luck!

Wow thanks for all the info everyone. After doing some research on youtube they said exactly what you have all said here. Thanks again, I`ll keep you all posted and take some pics then post when I can!

Ok so I figured out how to adjust dampening but I was wondering something when I fully decompress the bar to adjust the dampening and let go isn't the rod suppose to go back up on its own? Or does it have to build pressure first in order for the rod to go back up on its own? Or do I have to assemble the whole thing first and the spring will keep the rod up and build pressure that way? I hope I'm asking the question the right way and you guys understand lol.

What you are experiencing is normal for properly functioning Koni struts for the RS6... The struts provide dampening on both the rebound and compression stroke. Therefore, significant resistance should be felt when trying to compress or extend by hand. And will likely NOT "relax" extended or closed on their own.

Quote Originally Posted by ttboost View Post
    My DRC will have to stay for a while now...stupid transmission...
    Any chance you can work the struts in? The change from drc was great for me. How goes the trans swap?
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Ok cool so it's normal for the rod to not extend after I decompress the rod fully to adjust the dampening. Thanks for the info everyone!

Mugello Blue C5 RS6 Avant Viper Tuning ECU/TCU
    MTM Bimoto wheels 9,5 x 19 ET 30 LK 5x112 with 275/30/19 tyres
    MTM exhaust system cat back 4-pipe with throttle valves in 2 pipes, control

The only way to be sure is to confirm the listing is for Koni part numbers:

Front: 82-2516sport
    Rear: 82-2526sport

Ok so I finally got the change done! Thank god because that noise was killing me. Can tell the difference right away, like night and day! Car rides awesome! But now that I put the konis in, the self adjusting light for the DRC is going on on the dash. 4.2 how did you get around this? Were you able to find a way to disable the light from going on?

what light? there shouldn't be any light as the system(DRC) is completely mechanical, there are no sensors and the ECU has no idea what the DRC does, there is no connection between DRC and the other modules! The light must be warning you of another totally different error!
    Ex.: 2004 Audi RS6 C5 ABT, Milltek non-resonated, 19" RS4 B7 rims, RNS-E - SOLD
    2004 AUdi RS6 C5, SE exhaust, RNS-E, 19' original rims - SOLD
    Now :2009 Audi RS6 C6 - stock yet pretty fast