Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Completed: DIY DRC removal/swap with Koni Yellow Sports....

Quote Originally Posted by mik15 View Post
    ....could you please tell me if for changing the front upper strut mounts i need to compress the spring?
    Unfortunately, yes... But, with an pneumatic impact gun and spring compressors, it only adds an additional 5 minutes per side to the process.
    2003 RS6 l SE Exhaust l Koni Yellow Sports w/stock springs l Lowered 1"F 1.25"R l EPL Tuned l 19 x 9.5 VMR V713 & 265 PSS's l 50% window tint l Protective film on entire hood, bumper and front quarter panels l

I would agree, not terribly difficult but just a lot of steps. The most difficult part for me was pulling them out and putting the new ones in. I don't have a lift so I was operating from the ground. A good set of pry bars helped a ton. That and one of the rear Konis was stripped where the allen goes so tightening it down was a blast!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg341 View Post
    Mudguts, did you install your Konis yet?

I installed them over the weekend with stock springs and sways (a very time-consuming job). I've not driven the car much, just a couple of trips to town but so far so good. At slower speeds the ride seems very similar to the DRC but no clunking or whatever sound that thing makes which drove me absolutely crazy. I'll be on the interstate Thursday and am excited to see how she handles at higher speeds.

Kudos to 4.2Crew for all of his information, that was a HUGE help. The older I get the more I have come to appreciate a bit smoother ride so I'm afraid coil overs would have been too stiff for me. I almost bought the Koni FSD's but decided against it. I agree with 4.2 that they may not hold up over time and I don't want to do this again if I don't have to!

I picked up the Konis last week and am debating the DIY install... Anyone know where to find a detailed step-by-step of the procedure and what tools are required?

Many thanks,
    MG

Quote Originally Posted by Mudguts View Post
    I picked up the Konis last week and am debating the DIY install... Anyone know where to find a detailed step-by-step of the procedure and what tools are required?

Many thanks,
    MG
    Without knowing your experience level, it is difficult to help determine if it's a DIY... It is a big, messy all-day DIY job to go from DRC to Koni's/oem springs. If you've never done strut-type suspension work on Audi's/VW's, find assistance or outsource. Compressing springs can be very dangerous if not done correctly. Plus, there are procedures like removing the upright pinch-bolt that can be a real bitch even with the right tools, techniques and experience.

Tools required:
    complete set of metric wrenches and sockets
    torque wrench
    spring compressor
    hydraulic jack
    jack stands (if not using a lift)
    pry bar
    container to catch stinky DRC juice
    beer

Tools desired:
    lift
    pneumatics (impact gun and wrench)
    paint pen to mark/index strut-spring components prior to disassembly for ease of reassembly alignment
    experienced helper
    Southern Comfort

You can research this site for suspension procedural write-ups, but nothing will be step-wise exact to the RS6:

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/wheel.html

Good luck!...
    2003 RS6 l SE Exhaust l Koni Yellow Sports w/stock springs l Lowered 1"F 1.25"R l EPL Tuned l 19 x 9.5 VMR V713 & 265 PSS's l 50% window tint l Protective film on entire hood, bumper and front quarter panels l

Quote Originally Posted by Mudguts View Post

Many thanks,
    MG
    I used this but it's not very thorough.

http://forum.rs246.com/viewtopic.php...wtopic&t=81926

It discusses installing PSS9s so it was enough to help me navigate through but there's a lot more steps than mentioned. I don't think 4.2 missed anything...I did find that a crescent wrench comes in handy and I didn't remove the DRC lines, just capped them and zip tied the rears up so they wouldn't flop around. I'll remove them eventually. I rented the spring compressor from O'Reillys. They let me have it free for as long as I wanted it...they've got a good crew here where I live.

If you've got a little extra cash, I'd have someone else do it. I spread it out over 3-days so I didn't loose my mind but I'm not sure if it was worth the money I saved...I suppose it was. It wasn't as bad as changing out the plastic pipe in the oil cooler!

If you decide to tackle it and get stuck, I'll do my best to help!

Thanks all for a very informative thread, I am currently at war with Audi UK as they claim the DRC issue is not safety related.......LOL....... My car has only done 24,000 miles and had a replacement DRC system fitted just over 5 years ago immediately before I bought it under warranty which did not make any difference, It has been stored for about 5 years now and I have finally decided to get it sorted out one way or the other.
    I have been looking into sensibly priced DRC replacements of late and concluded that the very same part numbers used by you guys would be the way to go coupled with the standard springs, I am encouraged by your findings as Koni's have always worked for me especially in my 944 turbo S which for me has the best suspension of any car I have ever driven.
    04 S4 4.2 V8 manual Convertible - 04 RS6 Avant - 03 A2 1.6FSI soon to be 270bhp 20V 1.8 with LPG - 91 Audi V8

Swapped in Koni's following 4.2Crew's recipe on Monday, so only about half a tank of gas on the new suspension.

First impressions:
    - The ride height is slightly lower than stock without tucking the wheels resulting in a slightly sporter look
    - No more unidentified suspension noises (USN's) from the DRC from normal driving conditions
    - Corners like a champ (car has H-bars) with good turn-in and very flat
    - Install cost me $425 at a local shop.

I'll provide more feedback at the end of November.

Happy Halloween,
    MG

Congrats, MG!... Isn't it amazing how much quieter and "planted" the car is now?... Especially when hitting bumps at speed and askew?

Just for the record, do you recall the rebound settings and is the rear perch setting on the high or low groove?

Con'on now... You know the deal! Pics! We need pics!

Quote Originally Posted by 4.2Crew View Post
    Congrats, MG!... Isn't it amazing how much quieter and "planted" the car is now?... Especially when hitting bumps at speed and askew?

Just for the record, do you recall the rebound settings and is the rear perch setting on the high or low groove?

Con'on now... You know the deal! Pics! We need pics!
    Car feels good -I need to put some mileage on before offering further impressions.

Settings:
    Fronts got 1/2 turn rebound & only has one setting
    Rears got 1/4 turn rebound and set on the lowest perch

Picture attached (i think)...

Thanks for the help!
    -MG
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RS6 Toronto-20121030-00465.jpg 
Views:	383 
Size:	116.9 KB 
ID:	13100  

4.2Crew,

I just took another look at your pics and your car looks lower than mine. Did you do anything beyond the Koni's that would make the car lower? Will the suspension settle after a couple hundred clicks?

Thanks
    MG

Your right... Your stance appears slightly higher. Mine is set-up exactly as yours---same springs, same perch height, same rebound. Huh. The only thing I can possibly think could be different is spring fatigue (sag.) I'm only speculating, but I thought a properly functioning DRC removes some load off the springs. If it does, maybe my DRC was depressurized and non-functioning much longer than your DRC??? Thereby straining (fatiguing) my springs more??? I dun'no...

In my experience/opinion, the Koni's "wear-in" after a few thousand miles and the ride becomes slightly softer... No change in ride height tho!

Either way, nice job! Look'n good!

I just went to TireRack's website and found them in stock????...

Go to: TireRack.com > Suspension > Audi > 2003 > A6 4.2

Look down the results page for Koni Sport...

Fronts (82-2516sport) are in stock @ $181 ea
    Rears (82-2526sport) less than 3 available @ $166 ea

Send email
    Find email

Hi I just bought a RS6, and now my suspension is making massive clunking noise. The dealer said I need to replace the strut mounts and the struts themselves. They told me they were slowly leaking something????? My only guess is the DRC needs to be replaced. When you changed them did you replace the mounts with new ones? Also I checked tirerack too and I dont see anything under the RS6 catergory. But I see in your post you selected A6 4.2, can those parts be used on the RS6? I priced out for new mounts front/rear and struts front, rear and springs all around for 1038. Can I reuse the old springs or will I need new ones? Is this a good price? Your guys seem to have paid far less. Why is that? Any help or advice would be nice because this noise is driving me crazy!

dre, welcome!, location?, what did you use to edit your font, tough to read. Have the DRC replaced, reputable shop should only replace other parts as needed.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Im from Watertown, CT. What is the DRC per say? The only experience I have with Audis was my S5 and I never had this problem with my S5. Is the DRC the suspension itself?

Dynamic Ride Control....sensor driven balanced fluid pressure between left and right...almost all have failed or been replaced many times with varying results. Some of have liked this cheaper, non-adjustable (once installed) method of the Koni's, there are many options though.

Replace the DRC, you'll be happy...
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

dre - if you want to find the Koni Sports on the Tirerack site, you will need to search by part #. I had the same experience when searching under the RS6.

Good luck,
    MG

Quote Originally Posted by dre View Post
    Hi I just bought a RS6, and now my suspension is making massive clunking noise. The dealer said I need to replace the strut mounts and the struts themselves. They told me they were slowly leaking something????? (hydraulic fluid) My only guess is the DRC needs to be replaced. (Yes---or repaired = $$$$) When you changed them did you replace the mounts with new ones? (Yes) Also I checked tirerack too and I dont see anything under the RS6 catergory. But I see in your post you selected A6 4.2, can those parts be used on the RS6? (Yes) I priced out for new mounts front/rear and struts front, rear and springs all around for 1038. Can I reuse the old springs (Yes) or will I need new ones? (No) Is this a good price? (Yes, once you remove cost of new springs) Your guys seem to have paid far less. (Yes) Why is that? (Didn't replace springs) Any help or advice would be nice because this noise is driving me crazy! (1: Not a novice DIY---outsource if in doubt. 2: All you need is Koni struts and maybe strut mounts---I replaced'em cause it's easy since your replacing struts. 3: Prudent to get 4-wheel alignment after the swap.)
    Welcome!...
    You have 9 questions in your original post regarding the DRC suspension and replacing with Koni's... Luckily, all the answers are in this 4-page thread!

Welcome!...
    You have 9 questions in your original post regarding the DRC suspension and replacing with Koni's... Luckily, all the answers are in this 4-page thread!
    Awesome thanks for all the info. I cant wait to take out the old DRC and put in the Koni's!