Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cylinder 1 Zero Compression!!

No tongue cutting here...I have some ideas, but waiting for the verdict...no use speculating now...
    2013 Audi S8

I suspect valve. To have only one piston completely go would be strange.. however if there was meth/water injection, I have heard reports of the vaporization process "washing" the sleeve and combustion champer, which can also remove the oils lubricating properties and cause a lot more wear in some circumstances. But in this case it should be a reduction, not zero compression. Here's to hoping for a simple solution..
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..
    "Some people play hard to get... I play hard to want."

every engine has a "lean" cylinder, depending on the intake manifold design. When highly boosted, if something goes horribly wrong with fueling, the lean cylinder can melt. I killed three Skyline engines, and the first blew only the 6th cylinder, which is the "lean" one with that manifold design. But I'm guessing against that, as IIRC I didn't lose 100% compression, and catastrophic preignition tends to take out multiple cylinders.
    Das Silberkugel - Eurocharged Stage 2/MTM/Level 10/Hotchkis/Koni/H&R
    2015 Ducati 1299S Panigale
    2014 Ducati Multistrada Granturismo

Wow what a shitty situation. So to clear a few things up. The tune is not the issue. The meth is not the issue. Why? Because there is no Meth on the car and the tune was installed back to the no meth tune. It is still a solid EPL tune and it did a solid 3.8 0-60.

I suspect it's a bad rocker/or valve spring. Can sea a piston letting go.

I bet your glad you bought the extended warranty. It was worth having it bumper to bumper

Jeep me posted how it works out.
    2004 Black/Black,EPL Tune *** 0-60 in 3.5 seconds SOLD :( - - 2002 TT Porsche 724WHP 10.43@139mph/ Motor build in progress. looking for 9's

Btw who is working on the car?
    2004 Black/Black,EPL Tune *** 0-60 in 3.5 seconds SOLD :( - - 2002 TT Porsche 724WHP 10.43@139mph/ Motor build in progress. looking for 9's

Quote Originally Posted by kismetcapitan View Post
    not necessarily; I once melted the piston rings on all six cylinders in my Skyline, and there was zero compression across the board. That was expensive

But if compression is normal in the other seven cylinders, it could be something like a valve issue. Loss of the seal from the rings is easy to see - lots of smoke from the burned oil in the exhaust!

I see running 30 psi of boost, but to melt the rings off completely.. ooufff how much spray .. ..

I still think valve issue. As far as one cylinder going down, of course it's possible. One injector spraying wrong f's up everything.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

It should be quite impossible to achieve a compression reading of absolute zero from a piston ring failure and not have the motor lock up.
    91' NSX Turbo 700whp/550tq
    03' RS6 550ish bhp/tq
    09' R8 :-)

Quote Originally Posted by 4everRS View Post
    I still think valve issue. As far as one cylinder going down, of course it's possible. One injector spraying wrong f's up everything.
    very true!

Just checking in to see what the word is on this situation.

Cool Update

Hello everyone. Sorry for the delay. I do not want to release too much info till I get the car back into my possession which should be the end Of march. As of now the warranty company is flying in a new head for the rs6 from Germany. When all is good I will post the complete story and pics so everyone can learn from my pain. Thanks to all for advice and info. Let's just say that the engine is bullet proof, not screw proof. How a screw got in is still a mystery. Ciao for now.

Question

So here we go. Gather around the fire children for I have a tall tale to tell. Seems Audi Mississauga had quoted 2400 for a refurb head from Germany, only to come back two weeks later and inform all that the price is now 5100 dollars. Problem is the warranty company had already issued a P.O. for the head and labour to put her back together.(At the lower price,obviously) So now it is off to the head shop for a rebuild, if that is possible. I will attach pics of the head and the screw for all to view and come up with scenarios of entry. I had driven the car for almost 6000 KMs prior to issue. Let the games begin.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	audi head pic 1..jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	108.6 KB 
ID:	12470   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	audi screw..jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	101.7 KB 
ID:	12471  

Ooooofffff- Wowza- That is fugly!!!
    210K miles rolled

3 out of 5 valves is enough....
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..
    "Some people play hard to get... I play hard to want."

Knew it would be valves, but it looks like a tamperproof torx screw? MAF screws are on the outside?
    2013 Audi S8

Looks like it's been tempered with
    05 Cayenne turbo

What a disaster. I can't even begin to speculate how that screw was introduced to the Intake system. If it did enter through the Input side of either Turbo Compressor (MAF side) I would have to assume there is major damage to the Turbo itself. Let's hope not. It looks like a Cam Cap Torx screw. But it looks a little short though. Good luck with the Results....................
    03 RS6, VIPER ECU, MTM TCU, Milltek Full Catless Non Res setup from Turbos to the boxes(ROAR'S), H&R Coilovers, Hotchkiss ARB's, 19x10's with 275-30-19 PSS's at each corner, Kenwood 9960 Head unit, V1 Radar Locator. 517 Trans Rebuild, ScrollProducts Turbo Rebuild.

My guess is it sounds like the OP knows who was in there last, and knows where to look for a resolution?
    2013 Audi S8