Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cylinder 1 Zero Compression!!

I don't think that screw would fit through the inter-cooler. My guess would be it fell into one of the intake tube during some previous work and max boost and hard cornering picked it up. It looks line a very course thread like some used on plastic covers.
    05 Cayenne turbo

Quote Originally Posted by Elevens View Post
    What a disaster. I can't even begin to speculate how that screw was introduced to the Intake system. If it did enter through the Input side of either Turbo Compressor (MAF side) I would have to assume there is major damage to the Turbo itself. Let's hope not. It looks like a Cam Cap Torx screw. But it looks a little short though. Good luck with the Results....................
    No way it went into the intake and through the turbo. It would NEVER get through the intercoolers. (Tozo beat me to it!)

I am dumbfounded on how it got in there.
    2008 A4 2.0TQ Quartz Grey Metallic S-Line/Titanium Package
    2017 A4 2.0TQ Glacier White Metallic Prestige Sport
    2003 RS6 TOTALED.-----Searching for a replacement

Looks like an air filter housing screw.

We had a MB Kompressor towed in a couple years ago with a locked engine (the owner thought is was) turned out to be a screw the went into the supercharger. Replaced it and was good as new.
    2003 Rs6 Mugello/Ebony Eurocharged/APR R1 DV's/RNS-E/KW-v3/Hotchkis/Full Milltek Cat-less/Apikol IC's/D.O. water-meth/ 6 speed SOLD!! Next???

Quote Originally Posted by TozoM8 View Post
    I don't think that screw would fit through the inter-cooler. My guess would be it fell into one of the intake tube during some previous work and max boost and hard cornering picked it up. It looks line a very course thread like some used on plastic covers.
    Yea! Completely Forgot about the Intercooler. Obviously It was introduced after It. This is a big time Error. And so the Mystery continues........................................
    03 RS6, VIPER ECU, MTM TCU, Milltek Full Catless Non Res setup from Turbos to the boxes(ROAR'S), H&R Coilovers, Hotchkiss ARB's, 19x10's with 275-30-19 PSS's at each corner, Kenwood 9960 Head unit, V1 Radar Locator. 517 Trans Rebuild, ScrollProducts Turbo Rebuild.

$5100 for a head? Ouch. I'll sell you a whole long block shipped for less than that. In my opinion, I don't think it can be repaired if you want to maintain the same compression. The cleaning up of the stress risers might be an issue.
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

Ah ha!

Tell tale sign of some maintenance/modification work being done and a screw went missing. This is 100% mechanic error - simple as that. Thankfully you have a warranty. The information disclosed however, I suspect said warranty company might be looking at previous ownership to ascertain how this might have occured.

I once dropped a nut down the intake runner of the pro ram manifold on my old Chevelle when I was putting one of the quad carbourators on and had to do a fetch effort. Luckily though, a pro ram is pretty much straight down to the valves and as such a magnetic pick-up tool did the job nicely without having to remove the manifold.

As for $ for the head, that is nothing short of absurd. A qualified engine machine shop can easily repair the damage as long as the casting itself is not cracked anywhere.

T.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

http://www.ebsracing.com/ Highly recommended for head work. There not cheap but cheaper than that by far.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

What about the block and piston , the piston must need to be changed as well if the head is that bad.
    The other head will need to be skimmed as well ..

grizz
    Last edited by grizz; March 29th, 2012 at 20:57.
    www.Unit 20.org
    martin@unit20.org
    Home of all things for the RS6 .....

I was wondering about the piston as well... Need to look it over good. The top ring land could have been damaged.
    2003 Rs6 Mugello/Ebony Eurocharged/APR R1 DV's/RNS-E/KW-v3/Hotchkis/Full Milltek Cat-less/Apikol IC's/D.O. water-meth/ 6 speed SOLD!! Next???

The piston surface is more of a concern. The pitting causes hot spots that leads to premature detonation.
    2008 A4 2.0TQ Quartz Grey Metallic S-Line/Titanium Package
    2017 A4 2.0TQ Glacier White Metallic Prestige Sport
    2003 RS6 TOTALED.-----Searching for a replacement

I hate to say it, but I personally would be relieved to find damage to just the head. Pulling a screw out of a cylinder is significantly better than pulling all the pieces of a piston and rod out. Got to enjoy that the hard way on one of my other rides a few years back. lol

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG2703..jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	103.2 KB 
ID:	12477
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Likely cause

In thinking about this a bit more, I am of the opinion this likely resulted as part of a spark plug change. The screw appears to be one of the fasteners to clamp the air cleaner assembly and could have dropped down through the hole when the coil pack and spark plug were removed.

Unfortunate regardless.