Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How hard is it to get to the steering rack bolts?

How hard is it to get to the steering rack bolts?

I bought some new stretch bolts, and would like to replace the ones that are in there. Why?, well the rack was removed and I don't think my mechanic replaced with new ones. They were cheap enough, was wondering if I would be able to do myself?
    Ebony/Black, DBR Stage 3 race kit, -SOLD :( 996TT Proto 650 basically a sardine can with a rocket attached to the back...11' CTS-V, 540/579RWP hehehehe ;)

two easy from the rain tray, third one is not going to happen

Thank you! Well 2 out of 3 not bad. I guess 3rd is next engine pull. Btw what is socket type?
    Ebony/Black, DBR Stage 3 race kit, -SOLD :( 996TT Proto 650 basically a sardine can with a rocket attached to the back...11' CTS-V, 540/579RWP hehehehe ;)

IIRC torx or triple square.
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

Ty Josh .

Hey, why was the rack removed, leaking seals? I've got a leak on mine, wondering how to get it out of the car, do you know what your mech did? Engine pull as in the books or a work around? Thanks!
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

I dont know if you could get the rack out with either the motor or trans still installed.

The headtsheilds covering the lower rack bolt cannot be removed with the motor/trans still installed.

If maybe someone had skinny enough little girl arms, might be able to reach in thru drivers tie rod opening to get bolt out once the pressure lines were removed. But I know I do way to many beer curls to fit in there

Thanks yokust, I really just want to put money into the car to make it fast, damn maintenance. This will be a good sized job...
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

That's why child slave labor should be legal, skinny little children's arms to help with these projects.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Ha, if only Audi would adopt Nike's business practices...all I can do is spend more money fixing other stuff to not feel bad about the $1500 for a leaking seal...

you'll need an offset joint to get at them. It's a 12point socket type.

I tightened the top two two years ago....all is fine so far......I suspect the third is long gone.... LOL..

Mike

When mine first came loose years ago, my Audi tech used a long socket extension with a kink in it to reach way down and tighten that 3rd bolt..Used a glob of loctite on each and no trouble since then.. It can be done, you need the right tool..

Quote Originally Posted by Hy Octane View Post
    When mine first came loose years ago, my Audi tech used a long socket extension with a kink in it to reach way down and tighten that 3rd bolt..Used a glob of loctite on each and no trouble since then.. It can be done, you need the right tool..
    You can do it on all other cars but the RS6, unless he cut a whole in the heatsheilds to get to the lower botl is the only way. I have done two racks on these cars, and bottom bolt is fully covered. Here is a pic of the manual of the covers over the rack.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rack..jpg 
Views:	305 
Size:	32.4 KB 
ID:	12079

And unless you remove the center and drivers side heatsheilds the lower bolt is not accesible.

On 4.2 n/a motors, 2.7t, and 2.8, they do not have those center covers to be able to access the rack bolts

And just to let everyone know, really only the pass side bolt under the coolant bottle ever comes loose. the drivers side since it has two bolts rarely comes loose, unless the pass side has been loose for an extended period of time.

I have been tracking down a clunk for a while, new control arm bushings didnt work.. maybe this is it.
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..
    "Some people play hard to get... I play hard to want."

Brav, my clunking grew louder and louder....it was the rack bolts, NO more clunking

Yea, mine is getting worse. Even some grinding when going over steep driveway at angle when wheels are turned in. Was yours causing any high speed vibration?
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..
    "Some people play hard to get... I play hard to want."

OK. Just to be clear.. There are 4 steering rack bolts.. only 3 are accessable.. The 4th really never comes loose..(thats the one you cant reach)..but its the other 3 that do.. and its the 3rd of these which I was referring to..