Thread: Wiring harness

Wiring harness

My RS6 seems possessed. Some days are great but most end up with a check engine of some sort.

Right now my main problem is stemming from the MAF sensors (I believe). Some days I get great readings out of them and others bank 1 reads 0. To me this indicates a fault in the wiring and the wiring (which has be redone) does look iffy. My plan was to buy some connectors and redo the bank 1 maf sensor but after having it in the shop for my coolant leak, bank 2 is now reading incorrectly in addition to my transmission and ABS reporting an ECU error.

Currently my line of thinking is just replace the whole wiring harness. Reading through threads it appears that these tend to degrade and will cause all sorts of random issues.

Before I pull the trigger on another $3000 repair I wanted to get the opinions of other here. Going to my peer group is no fun since they all just make fun of me for having a car in the shop the whole time.

Does anyone know the part number for the wiring harness?

How hard is it to replace myself? I am thinking of buying a garage to work on the 6 but I am very much in the newbie category when it comes to working on cars.

At least this board is cheaper than therapy.
    2003 Daytona/Silver RS6

Quote Originally Posted by Chung View Post
    My RS6 seems possessed.

... in addition to my transmission and ABS reporting an ECU error.
    Does anyone know the part number for the wiring harness?
    Absolutely POSSESSED! I didn't even have to look at the post to know that 3 more gremlins pooped in your car...
    Check the brake switch, it happened to John about 3 weeks ago.
    Also, MaxRS6 had the wiring harness replaced... ask for the part number(s)...

I still owe you the MAF extension mod...
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Actually I was thinking about that after I read this thread http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/18...ation.../page3

Interestingly enough that is the car I bought. How long should these switches last? Is it unusual for one MAF to read 0 if a brake light switch is out?
    2003 Daytona/Silver RS6

Part number on my invoice was 4b7 971 072 cc

It was replaced at 132K miles and the sheathing was literally brittle and flaking apart in areas.
    210K miles rolled

Quote Originally Posted by ben916 View Post
    Absolutely POSSESSED! I didn't even have to look at the post to know that 3 more gremlins pooped in your car...
    Check the brake switch, it happened to John about 3 weeks ago.
    Also, MaxRS6 had the wiring harness replaced... ask for the part number(s)...

I still owe you the MAF extension mod...
    In the span of a week last fall, it took not one, but TWO brake light switches to fix my issues....the first replacement one was a dud right off the shelf

The break light switch is a cheap fix so maybe I will do that regardless of my wiring harness. My problems are so intermittent it is not something that registers right away so it could be a few weeks/months before it comes back. It bothers me not knowing if the check engine is going to come on during my trips.

Thanks for the part number. I knew dealers had a mark up but who knew it would be so much above MSRP. Genuine has the MSRP at $1600 and actual at 1388.80. Audi is telling me $2042 for parts. Are there other parts to consider?
    2003 Daytona/Silver RS6

http://audiusaparts.com/parts/index....&siteid=215820

$1400 and they are based in Oregon, Portland I believe but they have recently changed their website so I am unable to verify that...
    Tax Free.
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Interestingly enough they are one of the dealers I have contacted to get pricing on the job (Sunset Audi). I wonder what they charge for the harness through the dealership.
    2003 Daytona/Silver RS6