Thread: 2001 A6 4.2L Factory Sport Suspension vs. RS6 factory suspension question....

2001 A6 4.2L Factory Sport Suspension vs. RS6 factory suspension question....

I have a few suspension questions relating specifically to a 2001 A6 4.2L Sport vs 2003 RS6 suspension...

In the spec literature, Audi states the 2001 A6 4.2L (with factory sport suspension) is lowered 20mm, has a 30% stiffer spring rate, and 40% increased compression damping compared to non-sport suspensions...

Also, in spec literature, Audi states the RS6 is lowered 20mm,
    has a 30% stiffer spring rate, and 40% increased compression damping... But dosen't specify if compared to the base suspension or sport suspension.

1) Does this imply both cars are lowered, dampened and sprung the same/similiar?

2) Or, is the RS6 lowered 20mm, sprung 30%+ and dampened 40%+ more than the factory sport suspension of the 4.2L sport?

Seems rather coincidental that the same exact specs are quoted for each car, IF they are in fact substantially different. And even more coincidental IF the RS6 is exactly lowered 20mm,
    has a 30% stiffer spring rate, and 40% increased compression damping compared to the A6.

I know the front and rear sway bars on the RS6 are beefy'r and some, or all, of the RS6 front control arms have higher durameter bushings...

I have both cars. Measured front and rear height of each car from wheel center to the wheel well.

Height differences (IN):

RS6 -0.625" Front
    RS6 0.0" Rear

The only difference is the RS6 sits 0.625" lower in front?????

3) Does the RS6 DRC add preload to the rear, and not the front?

4) Could it be that the most differentiating straight-line ride factor are the sway bars?
    Last edited by 4.2Crew; February 2nd, 2012 at 23:50.
    2003 RS6 l SE Exhaust l Koni Yellow Sports w/stock springs l Lowered 1"F 1.25"R l EPL Tuned l 19 x 9.5 VMR V713 & 265 PSS's l 50% window tint l Protective film on entire hood, bumper and front quarter panels l

Since every RS6 with DRC is different, its hard to say. There is no 'its supposed to ride like this' with these cars. Nodoby knows how low it is supposed to be or how stiff it should be when it is working as designed. Each car rides differently.
    I wondered about this too when we all were having the problems with the DRC.. I had a 2003 A6 4.2 with the sports suspension and I can say that before the factory DRC failed, it felt like those numbers applied to the sport suspension, not stock. But since it was redone from the recall, it feels very similar to the A6 sport suspension as far as smooth going, but when it gets bumpy the DRC rides harder than the sport did.
    Also remember, you can only lower the thing so much..

reported.
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth