Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2-3 shift sticking under WOT

2-3 shift sticking under WOT

I found that my transmission, whether in manual, drive, or sport, will not shift from 2-3 when I have it floored (w/kickdown depressed) unless I let off the gas. 1-2 happens seamlessly. Due to concerns over my license, I haven't tested 3-4 at WOT.

Eurocharged Stage 2 flash, MTM TCU. Any ideas? It *feels* like the engine is really screaming at the end of 2nd gear and the transmission doesn't want to attempt the shift until the torque is reduced, and then the shift is a bit rough. That's what I'm imagining anyways.
    Das Silberkugel - Eurocharged Stage 2/MTM/Level 10/Hotchkis/Koni/H&R
    2015 Ducati 1299S Panigale
    2014 Ducati Multistrada Granturismo

Can You check for any ECU/TCU codes ?

I've run Rosstech, no codes in the TCU and ECU codes weren't relevant (2nd cooling fan - intermittent).

That would make it a mechanical issue if there aren't any codes would be my guess.
    91' NSX Turbo 700whp/550tq
    03' RS6 550ish bhp/tq
    09' R8 :-)

Pretty odd. I can only guess, and I guess it's a valve body issue.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

TCU never throws any codes, which makes this a bit worrisome. Drivetrain issues are happening in both my cars; my Skyline finally fried its clutch the last week I was in Korea, three weeks ago. And now I'm worrying about the torque converter. at least our engines are relatively bulletproof.

Has anyone else ever encountered this issue of sticking gears?

Quote Originally Posted by 4everRS View Post
    Pretty odd. I can only guess, and I guess it's a valve body issue.
    that would be especially odd as the car came with a very recently installed Level 10 valve body...

When was the valve body done? There was a key employee who left level 10 for 512. He knew and did everything. I don't know exactly when he left or remember his name. It was probably 2 years ago. This is when level 10 started to go downhill. I shouldn't talk as I have not had personal experience with them. Maybe others will chime in.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

it was done early 2011; I have the receipt in my file. It took quite some time to discover this issue, because I rarely give the car full beans through that many gears.

My level 10 trans has not given me a problem, and I beat on it. But I have heard that they can have problems from time to time. Tozo is on here from time to time, or pm him on Audizne...he might be able to point u in the right direction
    Ebony/Black, DBR Stage 3 race kit, -SOLD :( 996TT Proto 650 basically a sardine can with a rocket attached to the back...11' CTS-V, 540/579RWP hehehehe ;)

I would scan it with vag-com, ign on, transmission, measuring blocks and press it to the floor to see if the kick down switch working. Sounds silly, but sometimes the carpet slides forward and stops the pedal from hitting the switch.
    05 Cayenne turbo

He's saying the kickdown is pressed down, all the while he's hoping to shift up gears.

All I can say is I get practically full power at 3/4 throttle, and it feels like the car is going to rip itself apart when my foot gets close to, or hits the kickdown, which drops a gear obviously.

Maybe your confusing the tcu by accelerating with the downshift (kickdown) depressed???
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Shouldn't matter if the kickdown is hit, it should shift either way when it hits redline.

The guy who left Level 10 and started his own business is Sam and it was about 3 years ago he started www.517trans.com , he is really big with the S4tt crowd with 500bhp engines on the 5HP19 but does do the 5HP24's. Curiously he also does a lot of Diesel trans for the Dodge/Cummings engines and such.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

There ya go. Sam. 517. Not 512.

would be annoying to have to redo the valve body, seeing as it was one of several key points in choosing my car (upgraded valve body already done).

I ran some tests this morning. 1-2 shift goes smoothly with the kickdown switch pressed, and shifts at 6500. 2nd gear runs to 7000 and if I'm pressing the throttle all the way to the kickdown switch but not engaging it, it shifts into 3rd, but with a bit of a jerk.

Tested mine today. Shifts at about 6500 with or without kickdown at WOT.

It is not a valve body problem. It will shift when the TCU tells it to shift. The TCU will shift when it sees the right throttle position---RPM---vehicle speed. Did you have the battery going dead recently? I would do a throttle adaptation with vag-com and go from there.
    05 Cayenne turbo