Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Team Dynamics Racing 1.2 Wheel

Team Dynamics Racing 1.2 Wheel

After beating up my BBS wheels a bit, and not wanting to run on the OEM wheels for track events- I am on da hunt for track wheels..

I looked at the Enkei wheels. However; there were clearance issues with the Alcons, and I didn't want to run spacers. Therefore; after a little mo huntin, the Team Dynamic Racing (TDR) Wheel 1.2 is the current candidate. Currently, I'm running the BBS wheel that has a 38 offset with 12mm spacers. The TDR is 18x9 with a 25 offset. So, I'm thinking these will fit without the need for a spacer, and the TDR rep. thinks they will clear the brakes. I get to "test" fit them to verfiy before handing over the $$$.

Any feedback on these from the gang?

http://www.avalonmotorsports.com/ind...f00f42b516dc1d

210K miles rolled

Nice Elmer illustration

So the BBS, are they cast or forged? I see these are cast. Do they have a recommended car weight? If they are strong enough, they look really good. You're correct about the offset and not needing spacers. My summer wheels are 25 offset and they fit perfect.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

The BBS wheels are forged.

Thanks for bringing up the weight question. I haven't seen anything about the recommended car weight on the TDR wheels. The representative stated the TDR wheels are strong enough for our heavy hog. However; I will ask the specific question about the weight tomorrow, and see if there is a spec sheet that I can review. The TDR wheels -while cast- are still surprisingly light.

Thanks for the info on your offset. I should have a wheel to "test fit" within a couple of weeks.

It is nice to have the "street tire/wheels" safely in the paddock while out on the track. The tracks- that allow my presence- are multiple hours away. Therefore; it is nice to know if a tire "gives out" on the track, I'll still be able to head home without issue or need of a U-Haul truck- assuming I haven't slid into a wall or other obstacle....;000
    210K miles rolled

Quote Originally Posted by MaxRS6 View Post
    . The tracks- that allow my presence- are multiple hours away.
    hahaha - what did you do?

Isn't there a track nearer to you?
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

^Apparently.......some tracks frown upon one partaking of liquid spirits and having a cooler of the stuff covered in paddock areas. Who woulda thought??? Then when they found I had been forging the weight/hp class limits...well you know the story..;0

Actually- no local tracks. The closest is a couple of hours away. However; the ones I like to haunt are a bit further and worth the extra distance for this kid. The distance is one reason I don't make it to very many track events. They do make good get aways from reality and the road trips add to the adventure.
    210K miles rolled

OK, I will bite hard...

What is the difference between forged and cast?
    (ducks for cover!)

Also, why not some HRE's? They are made RIGHT here in San Diego, CA and you can come visit good ol' Southern boys in Cali where it is suppose to be 80 degrees this weekend...
    http://www.hrewheels.com/cl93/
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

just get some s8 wheels, they look awesome...
    Mugello Blue C5 RS6 Avant Viper Tuning ECU/TCU
    MTM Bimoto wheels 9,5 x 19 ET 30 LK 5x112 with 275/30/19 tyres
    MTM exhaust system cat back 4-pipe with throttle valves in 2 pipes, control

Quote Originally Posted by ben916 View Post
    OK, I will bite hard...

What is the difference between forged and cast?
    (ducks for cover!)
    Good article at below link:

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/....jsp?techid=90

Pulling a couple snippets:

The casting of wheels is the process of getting molten aluminum inside a mold to form a wheel.

Forging is the process of forcing a solid billet of aluminum between the forging dies under an extreme amount of pressure.
    210K miles rolled

One would think you would want the lightest weight rims for track events...try a look at Kosei or even Diamond Racing steelies. Most all are under 20 lbs w/o tires.

I used to run 19 lb Kosei K1s on the 500E, made a huge difference on the track, of course, they were no good on the road (they couldn't absorb any road irregularities like the heavy AMG rims do)
    SOLD ! 2003 RS6 Mugello/Silver -MTM
    2001 allroad 6-speed (300K+), 1992 Mercedes-Benz 500E, 2007 Mercedes-Benz CLK63, 2010 BMW X3, 1986 16V Scirocco, 2005 Mercedes E55 Wagon

^The TDR wheel is under 20 lbs.

The Kosei was another option that I had considered, and still think that would be a good choice. However; I ended up with a personal preference with the TDR. The sales rep has been responsive- and is letting me "test fit" the wheels. They both seem to have very good reputations.

I had not taken a look at the Diamond Racing steelies.

I appreciate the input!
    210K miles rolled

I run them on my b4 rs4 with 380mm ceramics ..

Very good , very light and cheap
    www.Unit 20.org
    martin@unit20.org
    Home of all things for the RS6 .....

^Good to get the Grizz endorsement and thank you for your input. They are set to arrive on my doorstep in a few days as the big brown truck currently has em in its' belly
    210K miles rolled

By the way all- Brian at Avalon Motorsports has been terrific to work with in my relatively limited experience with him. He has been very responsive to inquiries and has provided input and insight as I researched my options.

http://www.avalonmotorsports.com/ind...af66d65d215225
    210K miles rolled

Randy, I asked about this wheel to the Mn Audi forum. Several use it for track events. It was said it might be a little soft for normal street use with potholes, train tracks, ect. I ask for weight of cars and they are mostly a/s/rs 4's. Weight just under 4k. I think you'll be good with these as far as strength.

^Thanks for the additional input Kyle and checking on this for me! I have a request into TDR about the wheel load pursuant to your great suggestion. I can still send them back if needed.
    210K miles rolled

Thumbs up

By the way all- Brian at Avalon Motorsports has been terrific to work with in my relatively limited experience with him. He has been very responsive to inquiries and has provided input and insight as I researched my options.

http://www.avalonmotorsports.com/ind...af66d65d215225

Brian is a good guy, one of the better local shops also

^The TDR wheel is under 20 lbs.
    Big Brown delivered today. I was mistaken about the weight- they are actually approximately 23 lbs. I look forward to giving them a workout..;0
    210K miles rolled

¿ When are you hitting the track ?