Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brake Pads

Quote Originally Posted by 4everRS View Post
    Something is screwed up if it feels bad at 80
    Things were GREAT with the DRC for the 1st 6 months then something strange happened and I don't know what it was but the car just didn't corner properly or handle properly...
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

After finally getting my EBC reds broke in and quiet....all things seem fine. No hot spots on the rotors but I dont drive in stop and go traffic. Hmmm, I guess its time to just monitor and continue.

I received the Hawk Street pads for the rear and threw them on. The Hawk Plus tazered net hog herd squeal is gone, and the hogs are penned until the next play weekend.

My initial impression is they do the job and they are quiet. As expected- not quite the bite of the Hawk Plus. However; I'm pleased with the switch to the Hawk pads with less than 100 miles rolled.
    210K miles rolled

Quote Originally Posted by ben916 View Post
    Things were GREAT with the DRC for the 1st 6 months then something strange happened and I don't know what it was but the car just didn't corner properly or handle properly...
    Bite the bullet- strip the DRC cancer out- throw the KW v3 on- Have fun!

Tell family CFO you are doing it for the children. Your purchase will help the economy, providing economic boost, employment along the supply chain, tax revenue, and ultimately providing opportunities for your daughter. You don't want the children to be deprived do you???? 00
    210K miles rolled

Lol@ best brake noise description.
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..
    "Some people play hard to get... I play hard to want."

^ .......

Last edited by MaxRS6; January 28th, 2012 at 18:25.
    210K miles rolled

Quote Originally Posted by Brav View Post
    Ben - this is because i had all rotors turned and got rid of the EBC reds about 2 weeks ago. Thats why they look normal now I am running cheap posi-quiets which I think were around 150 for front and rears.
    Brav,

I am about to do my RS4 brake pads, Zechausen recommended the Posi-Quiets for street use, how have you found them, I don't do tracks these days so just for street use.

Cheers Gazzab

Quote Originally Posted by gazzab View Post
    Brav,

I am about to do my RS4 brake pads, Zechausen recommended the Posi-Quiets for street use, how have you found them, I don't do tracks these days so just for street use.

Cheers Gazzab
    They aren't bad at all for the money. I did over temp them once with repeated freeway stops. Started smoking and some squeel here and there. Bt they are fine. If you arent going to track or Autocross or crazy canyon carve you should be OK. Repeated braking over short term, you will need to upgrade.
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..

Quote Originally Posted by Brav View Post
    They aren't bad at all for the money. I did over temp them once with repeated freeway stops. Started smoking and some squeel here and there. Bt they are fine. If you arent going to track or Autocross or crazy canyon carve you should be OK. Repeated braking over short term, you will need to upgrade.
    If upgrade what would you go to next?

Gazzab

I will probably run Hawk next.

Cheers Gazzab

generally, pads with lots of initial bite will fade quicker. More sporting pads need warmup time but won't melt away so quickly. I'll take pads that feel greasy when cold over pads with "bite" any day of the week. Depending on the pad though, it may need some preheating. During winters in my old Skyline (with track-spec pads), in the first minute of driving, I'd drag the brakes a bit while moving forward. I forgot once, and had to panic stop from 100mph, and the lack of stopping power from ice-cold sport pads left me with brown underwear and a lesson I won't forget!

and remember that we don't have to deal with just braking. I smelled smoking pads after a very spirited exercise in high speed corners and never really hit the brakes. It's that damned traction control that uses brakes instead of limited slip diffs.

but RS6 drivers are a more diverse bunch than people really focused on highly tuned cars. So pads with lots of initial bite could suit a majority of us. They just won't hold up when you start to really flog this two-ton beast.

Ben, maybe check both the health of your DRC (pressure) and alignment? I've found that pressure changes in the DRC system can throw the alignment out. And if the DRC needs servicing, that means a realignment as well.
    Das Silberkugel - Eurocharged Stage 2/MTM/Level 10/Hotchkis/Koni/H&R
    2015 Ducati 1299S Panigale
    2014 Ducati Multistrada Granturismo