Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 Audi TT.

I wish the introduction will be sooner then later.

There are pretenders among us.....
    Geniuses with the ability to become anyone they want to be.....

Quote Originally Posted by The Pretender View Post

I believe this is from Audi UK, so maybe the new TT will be appearing sooner than first thought.
    Hanging the tail out is Vanity
    but choosing AWD is Sanity

A simple cover but hides so much.

It has been quiet for a while around the new TT.
    Last test mule pictures are from the 12th of july 2012.

Audi TT Mule - 12-07-2012 - Autogespot

Update.
    These pictures are from 17 Oktober 2012. (10 days ago)
    Meaning they still testing with the old body on the MQB floorplan, meaning the new TT is at leased 1 year or more away from introduction.

Audi TT Mule - 17-10-2012 - Autogespot

I have thinking about a way for Audi to improve the next TT and one of the things that would help the weight balance is to go the Lexus LFA way with the water coolers in the back.
    That way you take a lot of weight out the front and separate the water and turbo air cooling from each other.
    In this case you can install a full intercooler up front and two water cooler in the rear, left and right.
    Further there would be less heat in the engine bay coming from the watercooler, it also give space for a much better airflow to the brakes.
    And by putting the coolers in the back left and right, the exhaust tips can move further to the middle like it should be, TT Mk1 retro style.
    Audi need to separate the next TT more from the other MQB siblings performance wise IMHO.
    Another advantage with this is that the TT could look more in line with the R8 because of the need for side and rear vents to accommodate air flow to the water coolers.

Last edited by The Pretender; October 28th, 2012 at 15:23.

I have thinking about a way for Audi to improve the next TT and one of the things that would help the weight balance is to go the Lexus LFA way with the water coolers in the back.
    The only issue is Lexus wasn't concerned with luggage space whereas the typical TT buyer wants at least some...
    Einstein once said, "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details."
    Ron Paul Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Benman View Post
    The only issue is Lexus wasn't concerned with luggage space whereas the typical TT buyer wants at least some...
    Can't see this happening in the TT price class either. Adds overall weight as well.

All this would make MUCH more sense only if this car got longitudal engine... MQB isn't for car that has to compete with Boxster, Z4 and others...

Quote Originally Posted by AndyBG View Post
    All this would make MUCH more sense only if this car got longitudal engine... MQB isn't for car that has to compete with Boxster, Z4 and others...
    My thoughts exactly.

Is those Autocar's words or Audi's because its a mighty claim to compare yourself with a Boxster, I doubt this is possible unless this new platform has something unique up its sleeve.
    Hanging the tail out is Vanity
    but choosing AWD is Sanity

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Is those Autocar's words or Audi's because its a mighty claim to compare yourself with a Boxster, I doubt this is possible unless this new platform has something unique up its sleeve.
    MQB is nothing special IMHO, and the Q means "Quer" (tranverse), so no way a longitudinal engine is possible.
    It also mean Haldex 4WD, and i have not here anything special about the Haldex ? version used in the MQB.

Pretender,

Autocar gets it right more often than it gets it wrong, so I find this story encouraging:

POSITIVES
    - Lighter, more aluminium-intensive chassis
    - New EA888 engines plus reworked 2.5 5-cylinder unit for TT-RS
    - Return to Bauhaus styling

NEGATIVES
    - MQB platform with transverse engine
    - Haldex AWD system

Actually, MQB isn't the negative you perceive it to be. If you use a longitudinally mounted engine with Audi's traditional quattro set-up, most of the engine weight is ahead of the front axle. With MQB you can tilt the engine rearwards so while it isn't behind the front axle, at least it is over it.

Secondly, A lot of work is being done on the Haldex system and I think we may be in for a few surprises. Mercedes has reworked it for the upcoming A45 so that the you can actually steer the car with the throttle. Haldex is likely to incorporate these changes into standard units it makes for VW and Audi.

Thirdly, my understanding is that Audi is feeling a little bit stung by recent criticism of its design language. That being the case, plus Audi's love of the original TT's Bauhaus lines should mean that we're in for a stunning car visually.

Will the next TT be on a par with the Boxter? I don't know. let's hope so.

More aluminium only means that the steel doors will be made out of aluminium on the next Gen.
    The steel rear-end like it has been used in de 2th Gen will be maintained in the next one according to info, for better weight balance.
    Engine wise, i'm not a fan of chain driven engines, and Audi show they are clueless in that part of engine building.
    The tilted solution is not new, the 3.2 VR6 (weigh less then the 2.5TFSI) in the TT was standing upright with a lot space between the engine and the firewall, the 2.5 was tilted because of it's heavy weight. (184 Kg)
    VAG had sign a contract a while back with Haldex for a new VAG specific Haldex development for the MQB floorplan, you would exspect something special but there are no big anouncements about it not even with the introduction of the new S3.
    The Haldex system is just a ordinary system used by almost every manifactor of transverse engines FWD/4WD cars, Saab, Opel, Mercedes, VAG, and so on, it's just a multi mass product used by every one.
    Haldex 4WD is nothing more the a fancy FWD with benefits, remove it from the TT RS and install a LSD and you have a much quiker car.

On the Design part of things, don't forget "WOLFGANG EGGER" is in charge, and he is not the man for the job IMHO.
    The quattro Concept was a nice car but it does not look anything like the Ur-quattro-sport, it was missing several key elements of the original design, and it ridicule the hole Sport quattro's history.
    And putting in a 5 cylinder engine does not make it right, even this sketch looks better.

Will the next TT on par with the Boxster, never never not, it's a fancy VW Golf, not a sportcar.

On these TT/A3 subjects, I have to agree with The P' 100%...

Basicly, all Golfs from Mk4 untill today are very simmilar, in technical point of view, so the same case is with TT. If Audi looks at it self as a premium and serious factory, one of their most popular coupes, in this case TT, has to be more sofisticated, more serious car than this!

You can buy a Scirocco and have in big lines the same car minus the aluminum body and the fancy Audi design.

Audi made a big mistake in the past, Audi showed the world the quattro spider.

But desided to choose the TT for production over the quattro Spider from a design point of view.

This was not the big mistake back then, the big mistake back then was to build the TT on a Golf floorplan instead of building it on the quattro spider florrplan.

Transversal engine here to, but this would make much more sense!

I totaly forgot about it, I had a pic's of it in some sticker album when I was kid!

2.8 V6, 250 ps, predesecor of todays 3.0 T!