Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 Audi TT.

The quattro spider was a running concept and there where two of them, a Orange and Green version.

There are pretenders among us.....
    Geniuses with the ability to become anyone they want to be.....

They made it running the most simple way possible, with a longitudinal V6 and a FWD gearbox mounted tranversly and using the front wheel drive axles to feet front and rear axles.
    The production version would get a longitidinal mounted transverse 1.8T engine with 200 hp and used the same way axle wise.
    The drive shafts that normaly drive the front wheels would drive the front and rear axle with there own diff to transver the power to the right and left wheels.
    The central diff would always provide the power to the axle with the most grip.

btw, The Autocar article is pullet out of a past article ditch.
    The picture posted back then was this one.

If the TT was to be equipped with a longitudinal engine it would be an A5 and would cost a lot more, so basing it on a Golf was financially the right thing to do and this continues to be the case. Also the Haldex in the S3 might or might not be different but until somebody drives it we don't really know if anything has improved though I'm willing to bet the new chassis is a far better starting point.

I believe Audi like all companies are bumming up their chat about it offering Boxster dynamics, it can never offer its level of involvement or adjustability but then no other rival can either.
    Hanging the tail out is Vanity
    but choosing AWD is Sanity

Quote Originally Posted by The Pretender View Post
    You can buy a Scirocco and have in big lines the same car minus the aluminum body and the fancy Audi design.

Audi made a big mistake in the past, Audi showed the world the quattro spider.

But desided to choose the TT for production over the quattro Spider from a design point of view.

This was not the big mistake back then, the big mistake back then was to build the TT on a Golf floorplan instead of building it on the quattro spider florrplan.
    Building a mid engine TT would cost the same as a Boxster and people would bitch even more about the price and that it's not a Porsche. What was the quattro spyder platform, it wasn't an actual platform just two prototypes.

The TT competes with the SLK and Z4 (no matter what Audi says) which mostly sell on looks and style more than anything else. The TT, if it performs better than those, will be more than fine. Super drastic changes aren't likely nor would they even make sense.

And I do not like the Autocar rendering at all, too much of a hatchback look vs. that of a coupe.

Not seen any renderings/sketches that make any sense of what it could look like.
    Last edited by The Pretender; November 5th, 2012 at 22:09.

This story tells me the next TT can be some different compare to the rest.
    They talk about A, R and Q lines and not about the TT.
    That can mean two things, or the TT get a design of it's own or the TT gets R styling.

Audi promises greater model differentiation

I wonder if Audi will surprise us all with the next TT, just like it did with the first. By that I mean, could we get a rear transverse engine TT? Now that would put the cat among the pigeons. Pretender, have you driven a TT-RS? Tell me it isn't quick. This car has dated so little since it was introduced. Audi did a fine job with it. The Mk III will be a great car. I'd much rather own a TT than a Boxter.

It is not difficult to build a fast car, Audi show that with the TT RS and RS3.
    But fast is something else then performance.
    8.09 min on the Nordschleife is not that good because the TT RS is not that sharp in corners and lose time there.
    You need to make a lot of changes in the drivetrain, like suspension,ARB's, drivetrain bushes, and so on to get a lot sharper car.
    The next TT will not much beter in that department IMHO if it get Haldex 4WD again.
    The next TT RS would get 380 hp and will weigh around 1400 Kg, but i don't see it set a time under 8.00 min.
    MQB can also be used the other way around, making it a transverse mid engined car, with a rear bias drive train.
    But i doubt Audi will have the balls to do that.

This is the fastest street legal TT RS around the Nordschleife.
    The Raeder Motorsport TT RS with 390 hp and a lot of adjustments made to the suspension, wheel/tires, and aerodynamics.
    This TT RS is able to do a full lap at the ring in 7.33 Min.

I would not be surprised to see a lot of these design influences back in the TT Mk3 design.

This is the fastest street legal TT RS around the Nordschleife.
    The Raeder Motorsport TT RS with 390 hp and a lot of adjustments made to the suspension, wheel/tires, and aerodynamics.
    This TT RS is able to do a full lap at the ring in 7.33 Min.
    And...it still has Haldex

Quote Originally Posted by The RS6 View Post
    And...it still has Haldex
    I don't think Pretender is implying that the TT isn't quick because it uses Haldex only that it stop it from being that enjoyable. He might be right though I reckon he's a little premature in saying so without anyone having driven it.

The TT RS is not the kind of car that you can pin-point into a corner the way it should be, it always drift wider.
    It's basically a front wheel drive car with synonymous drive characteristics.
    In simple therms you have to go in slow to get out fast, enter a corner to fast and you loose grip big time.

MQB can also be used the other way around, making it a transverse mid engined car, with a rear bias drive train.
    But i doubt Audi will have the balls to do that.
    So how does one mount an engine in section 4 easily and cheaply enough to make it mid engined?

Quote Originally Posted by chewym View Post
    So how does one mount an engine in section 4 easily and cheaply enough to make it mid engined?

Reed this: Intel Report: Audi R-Cars and the Future of Mid-Engine Supercars at the Volkswagen Group

I see, but what they are saying in the article is that a R3/356 sucessor/Bluesport platform would flexible like the front engined MQB, they didn't say that you can turn the Golf MQB into a mid engined platform and just by looking at the photo you can see it wouldn't be easy.

It looks like the R3/356/Bluesport platform has been scrapped or is on hold?

If you could turn the MQB round you would be turning the TT from a 2+2 into a proper 2 seater thus losing a lot of its practicality which is a large part of its appeal compared to most of its direct competitors.