Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Last attempt to save my JHM rotors..

Last attempt to save my JHM rotors..

I was told that turning them will F them up if not done on a proper type of mill.. standard brake rotor turning machine will get the bit fouled up by the slots (or holes) and in turn mess up the rotor itself. Does anyone know the proper name of the machine so I can ask around? someone told me but I forgot.. I think it starts with a B? Blanchard? I am getting very frustrated with this setup (JHM/EBC reds). JHM posits its all the pads fault.. I dont want to toss 1k down the drain in recent rotors.

After doing this I will go with Hawk HPS or stoptech.. thought of EBC yellows, but they left a bad taste in my mouth.
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..
    "Some people play hard to get... I play hard to want."

There is indeed a process colloquially known as Blanchard Grinding which is used to grind a surface smooth.
    Never heard of it being used on brake rotors but it makes sense. You should be able to find a machine shop that can do it.

Great, thanks for the confirmation.
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..

I couldn't get anyone to do Blanchard grinding on my rotors.. so I had them resurfaced the normal way. I switched to cheap Posi-quiet pads at the same time. I was tired at continuing to waste time and money replacing all the other things JHM recommended. So far after 5 days, no vibrations under braking.. yes!! I still have high speed vibration, but I dont think from the brakes. I don't know if I can recommend the JHM rotors still, my feeling is they should handle any pad OEM rotors can, if not more. I haven't done any crazy hard braking yet, as I just want them to bed nice and easy with low heat at this point. If they vibrate at all anymore, I am going to mail them back to JHM along with some anthrax.

^Sounds good.

I actually just warped a set of Stasis rotors (only 4K miles) at a recent track event. I have sent the rotors to Stasis for their inspection and comments. They should be able to handle a couple of track days without issue. It isn't like I'm setting track lap records. I may need to borrow some of the white stuff if you have extra. To date though- I must say Stasis have been responsive and I look forward to their findings.
    210K miles rolled

Thats good. JHM blames pads and bed in process. I have owned many cars and track cars.. never had this problem. They never offered anything as far as help, and I am pretty sure they are Chinese cast rings. Might work OK in some scenarios for street, and even track, but I hate having to be the guinea pig in pad testing. They should at least warn people. Seems they know of the issue, but call it an EBC problem..

Thanks for bringing up this topic. I will be shopping for front rotors and pads again this spring. Again, not real happy with the EBC offerings. I have yellows in now.

Not sure if I should be blaming EBC, but I've only used them for about 10k miles, but does include one track event.

Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

Yea thats not great.. maybe EBC does have a problem with over temping. With whatever rotor you go with, I wouldn't get EBC.

Good ole trial and error!
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

Quote Originally Posted by Brav View Post
    Yea thats not great.. maybe EBC does have a problem with over temping. With whatever rotor you go with, I wouldn't get EBC.
    hi Brav, i was going to get the JH rotors, searched alot for info on them, was very hard to get them on the ph too...i ended up going oem from ECS tuning ... a tunning shop here in OZ has had quality issues w/ RS4 rotors from JH (1/2 a drive day), i have also just installed the HAWK HPS pads, they are so cheap here compared to oem pads, they work great on the road so far 650 miles only no squeeling etc, i have not pushed them that hard yet...i did take the car to 140 mph the other day , stopped fine..less dust...however i dont know what they'd be like on a drive day..but again ..a high quality brake fluid can help with that too...
    2004 RS6
    APR, KW, REMUS

Quote Originally Posted by 4everRS View Post
    Thanks for bringing up this topic. I will be shopping for front rotors and pads again this spring. Again, not real happy with the EBC offerings. I have yellows in now.

Not sure if I should be blaming EBC, but I've only used them for about 10k miles, but does include one track event.

whats the thickness of that rotor, buy the image it looks to have a big lip on it??
    2004 RS6
    APR, KW, REMUS

Geez, Brav, how frustrating! I think it's astonishing that JHM is blaming everything on the pads, when tons of people use those pads apparently with no issues. I mean, they're ROTORS for crying out loud, not china tea saucers.

That said, thanks for posting this. I was thinking of going EBC the next time I change pads, but I think I'll go with something else...
    2003 RS6, Mugello Blue/Ebony - SOLD :-(
    2015 S5 Coupe, Mythos Black w/Black Optics package and an attitude

^Seems to be more and more the case with vendors always pointing the fingers any which way but back at themselves....

210K miles rolled

I am just relieved of not having to deal with brake pulsation anymore.. Now to tackle that other vibration.

I think I am going Hawk's this next time, i have that odd bluing on my rotors that Pat and others have...

(I must remember that my RS6 doesn't have ceramics)
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

You guys should check out the EBC Yellows though. Check out EBC's website and you will definitely see that the Yellows are more tuned for our type of car. Heavy weights, higher temps than the Reds. They are used in a couple of racing series and I have a set on my Cayenne Turbo S w/380mm front / 356mm rear rotors and I drive it aggressively and they are quite good. I have Reds on my little Audi tt but will definitely swap to the Yellows next time or maybe even before the Reds are used up. The Reds would be fine if it was a standard daily driver but they are not meant for higher performance use for our Type A personalities
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

I'm using yellows.
    Quote Originally Posted by hahnmgh63 View Post
    You guys should check out the EBC Yellows though. Check out EBC's website and you will definitely see that the Yellows are more tuned for our type of car. Heavy weights, higher temps than the Reds. They are used in a couple of racing series and I have a set on my Cayenne Turbo S w/380mm front / 356mm rear rotors and I drive it aggressively and they are quite good. I have Reds on my little Audi tt but will definitely swap to the Yellows next time or maybe even before the Reds are used up. The Reds would be fine if it was a standard daily driver but they are not meant for higher performance use for our Type A personalities
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

Quote Originally Posted by johnnie27 View Post
    whats the thickness of that rotor, buy the image it looks to have a big lip on it??
    Not much lip. Just looks it due to pad not hitting there.