Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 37 to 54 of 62

Thread: Last attempt to save my JHM rotors..

  1. #37
    Registered User lswing's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Eugene, OR, again...
    Posts
    4,694
    Just looked up a part...online again...

    http://genuineaudiparts.com/partloca...?siteid=214407
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

  2. #38
    Registered User Brav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Posts
    1,120
    Quote Originally Posted by 4everRS View Post
    Thanks for bringing up this topic. I will be shopping for front rotors and pads again this spring. Again, not real happy with the EBC offerings. I have yellows in now.

    Not sure if I should be blaming EBC, but I've only used them for about 10k miles, but does include one track event.

    The more I look at the crap buildup on these rotors, the more scared I get. that a lot of buildup/overtemp, methinks. Would ditch those pads ASAP. EBC reds, and yellows I guess, seem to easily over-temp the rotors. Maybe from uneven pad pressure, developing hot spots? I don't know, not an engineer.. or the low dust compound is way too abrasive and creates too much heat. Regardless..

    Who was that genius that got us all started on the Reds?!?

    So far, my cheapo posi-quiets have been great. I bought them as a temp solution, but will just keep them at this point.
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..
    "Some people play hard to get... I play hard to want."

  3. #39
    Registered User ben916's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Newcastle, WA
    Posts
    4,991
    Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    Just looked up a part...online again...

    http://genuineaudiparts.com/partloca...?siteid=214407
    www.genuinevwaudiparts.com doesn't function
    www.genuineaudiparts.com is functional...
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

  4. #40
    Registered User 1 bad 03 rs6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Puyallup, WA
    Posts
    61

    I guess I'm just cheap...

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pads2..JPG 
Views:	71 
Size:	73.2 KB 
ID:	12166Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pads..JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	12165

    Got these at O'Reilly. Made by ATE. The same manufacturer as the rear calipers on our cars.
    Limited Lifetime Warranty. Very high qualiy. I have driven them hard and have had zero issues. Well, a little squeal sometimes when they're cold and it's wet out.

    http://www.ate.de/generator/www/com/.../index_en.html

  5. #41
    Registered User 4everRS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    2,408
    Haha, those aren't cheap. I remember when I bought the ebc reds front AND rear for 178 bucks shipped.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 bad 03 rs6 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pads2..JPG 
Views:	71 
Size:	73.2 KB 
ID:	12166Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pads..JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	12165

    Got these at O'Reilly. Made by ATE. The same manufacturer as the rear calipers on our cars.
    Limited Lifetime Warranty. Very high qualiy. I have driven them hard and have had zero issues. Well, a little squeal sometimes when they're cold and it's wet out.

    http://www.ate.de/generator/www/com/.../index_en.html
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

  6. #42
    Registered User kday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    398
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxRS6 View Post
    Gonna (Arkie slang) try the Ferodo 3000 pads (sitting next to the Hawks) for the next track event.
    Nice... I had a set of those for my UrS4 (w/ 993 turbo brakes) when I used to track it. They are awesome. Like bruise yourself on the harness belts awesome. I only got 2 or maybe 3 events out of a set, and they were $$$, but you gotta pay to play I guess.

    I had DS2500s for the street that I liked a lot too, but they don't seem to make economic sense for the RS6.

  7. #43
    Registered User Brav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Posts
    1,120
    For cheap, try posi quiet.
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..
    "Some people play hard to get... I play hard to want."

  8. #44
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    141
    Quote Originally Posted by 4everRS View Post
    Another pic.



    It seems as if the pad material is getting lodged in the holes and then creating these awesome grooves.

    Max, I'm gonna look inta em ther fernando pads you ben talkin bout

    The grooves you see are consistent with drilled rotors. You can ask any major rotor manufacturer about that. When I first saw it (ages ago), I was like WTF!?!?
    I think the way to go is slots. But the drilled ones are so pretty.

  9. #45
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    141
    Quote Originally Posted by Brav View Post
    Who was that genius that got us all started on the Reds?!?
    LOL. I recall a member posting that they were going to jack the price up one Reds and there was only one site that still sold them at the lower price. So we all bought some. I bought 2 complete sets (front and rear). Lucky me, my fronts are fine. I did get some vibration under braking so I use some very abrasive "track only" pads to resurface the rotors. TONS of brake dust came off! The vibration was better but not gone. It turns out that my rear pads were toast! There was a rear inner pad that was stuck to the rotor and was completely worn out to the metal. While the outside pad still had about 1/3 left. After it was replaced (rear rotor and pads), no brake vibrations anymore. I'm satisfied with the Reds. However, after using the track only pads (they stop on a dime!!!), I'm going to switch to yellows for some more stopping power.

    FYI - The JHM rings are not China knockoffs. They are made by Coleman rotors. I'm currently using 2Bennett 2 piece rotors. I'm not surprise if they are Colemans as well! GOOD LUCK!

  10. #46
    Registered User Brav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Posts
    1,120
    Quote Originally Posted by arS6 View Post
    LOL. I recall a member posting that they were going to jack the price up one Reds and there was only one site that still sold them at the lower price. So we all bought some. I bought 2 complete sets (front and rear). Lucky me, my fronts are fine. I did get some vibration under braking so I use some very abrasive "track only" pads to resurface the rotors. TONS of brake dust came off! The vibration was better but not gone. It turns out that my rear pads were toast! There was a rear inner pad that was stuck to the rotor and was completely worn out to the metal. While the outside pad still had about 1/3 left. After it was replaced (rear rotor and pads), no brake vibrations anymore. I'm satisfied with the Reds. However, after using the track only pads (they stop on a dime!!!), I'm going to switch to yellows for some more stopping power.


    FYI - The JHM rings are not China knockoffs. They are made by Coleman rotors. I'm currently using 2Bennett 2 piece rotors. I'm not surprise if they are Colemans as well! GOOD LUCK!
    Well that is reassuring. I was skeptical of JHM quality since the hats and rotors aren't even using the same hardware front vs rear, or same design. rear rings are way too thick relative to pad. And they made the slots going the wrong way with respect to the directional vanes..

    I guess it is just a pad issue then, I have heard of EBCs now creating multiple problems, and having pads crumble at the track after 4 hard runs. With red and yellow, but more so red. I for one will never use them again. I have used Ferodo for the Noble for street/track with pretty good success.
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..
    "Some people play hard to get... I play hard to want."

  11. #47
    Registered User 4everRS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    2,408
    I used the yellows at the track for 6, 25 minute sessions. They worked fine. I'm just concerned with rotor damage. I understand I can't have my cake and eat it too, but I'd like a pad that has low rotor wear, but still great bite. Even if that means they dust a little more.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

  12. #48
    Registered User skribe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Beer City
    Posts
    952
    Did new OEM rotors and Hawk HPS pads, as per the late great V8Weight's advice and couldn't be happier. No dust, no squeal, no grooves, no pulse, no problem.

  13. #49
    Registered User lswing's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Eugene, OR, again...
    Posts
    4,694
    Quote Originally Posted by skribe View Post
    Did new OEM rotors and Hawk HPS pads, as per the late great V8Weight's advice and couldn't be happier. No dust, no squeal, no grooves, no pulse, no problem.
    What he said...maybe a bit less grab than other setups, but great DD and all around...
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

  14. #50
    Registered User as350's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Bend, Oregon
    Posts
    156
    I recently did OEM rotors all around and EBC yellows. Though I have less than 200 miles on this setup, I am pretty happy so far. A bit more bite than OEM, a bit less dust. Still too early to know about some of the other complaints.

  15. #51
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by as350 View Post
    I recently did OEM rotors all around and EBC yellows. Though I have less than 200 miles on this setup, I am pretty happy so far. A bit more bite than OEM, a bit less dust. Still too early to know about some of the other complaints.
    I already have the EBC yellows waiting for me to put in. Just bought them during the ECS sale before Christmas for $226 + shipping (full set) Sometime this summer I should be needing to do them (going to use OEM rotors too) but they are in decent shape now.
    -Greg
    2003 RS6

  16. #52
    Registered User Brav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Posts
    1,120
    I fixed a few more things at Raven MS - new front drive shafts, tie rods and shock mount that went bad. Big improvement on vibration but not gone. So today I removed my spacers, as it looked liked the hub rings in the Rotiforms were beveled too much and not sitting flush on the hub. Also, in the rear I had cone shaped lug bolts instead of ball shaped.. fronts were correct. Strange. So out the spacers came, and after 1 hour of searching for shorter bolts that fit (shorter). Test drive shows big improvement yet in vibration, nearly gone. Maybe to a point that is as good as possible.. but i would say a 95% improvement from where I started. We shall call it a win for now.

    What was strange was my rear passenger side spacer.. it was pitted, as was the hat of the rotor... but from what?? take a look. Threw in a pic of driver rear for comparison.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1264..jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	30.3 KB 
ID:	12232   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1263..jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	34.0 KB 
ID:	12233   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1261..jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	47.7 KB 
ID:	12234   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1260..jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	12235   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1262..jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	27.1 KB 
ID:	12236  
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..
    "Some people play hard to get... I play hard to want."

  17. #53
    Registered User skribe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Beer City
    Posts
    952
    Galvanic corrosion, happens sometimes when dissimilar metals are in contact... it's why you don't plumb copper pipes to iron.

    A nice coat of grease on each surface would likely have stopped it. Or you could blast each surface with a couple coats of spray paint. Or make a gasket.

    Who makes your spacers? Do they contain any recycled chinese tuna cans in the alloy? If spacers and wheels are of relatively similar aluminum alloy, you wouldn't see this...

  18. #54
    Registered User kevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Waterloo, IA
    Posts
    341
    That's strange looking stuff.. If you lived in the snow belt I just say it's road salt corrosion. Your car spend a lot of time next to coast?
    2003 Rs6 Mugello/Ebony Eurocharged/APR R1 DV's/RNS-E/KW-v3/Hotchkis/Full Milltek Cat-less/Apikol IC's/D.O. water-meth/ 6 speed SOLD!! Next???

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •