Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lauch control ? Jumpstart ? Healhy for the TC, gearbox ?

Post Lauch control ? Jumpstart ? Healhy for the TC, gearbox ?

Hi

I've been wondering whether performing a jumpstart eg. holding the brake pedal and throttle doesn't harm th TC or gearbox.

I'm afraid of using this technique. Should I ?

I heard that RPMs are limited while holding the brake pedal simultanously with throttle.

I suppose many of You use this launch control procedure but I wanted to approach from the engineering point of view

This topic has been discussed, duck rat duck foot method?....Any brake boosting puts enormous strain on your TC and i would guess gearbox. If your TQ is stock, and u have a high mileage gearbox, if u make habit of launching, I would assume you wont have the trans or TQ for very long.
    Ebony/Black, DBR Stage 3 race kit, -SOLD :( 996TT Proto 650 basically a sardine can with a rocket attached to the back...11' CTS-V, 540/579RWP hehehehe ;)

dont be sorry...I have done the technique a couple of times, its intoxicating.
    Ebony/Black, DBR Stage 3 race kit, -SOLD :( 996TT Proto 650 basically a sardine can with a rocket attached to the back...11' CTS-V, 540/579RWP hehehehe ;)

Quote Originally Posted by speedtrapped View Post
    dont be sorry...I have done the technique a couple of times, its intoxicating.
    I'm gonna need proof of that... video proof...
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

oh right, well I need a passenger....Ron is closest to me. My schedule has been royally fcked last 2 months. After Christmas.

Get a warranty and launch away to your hearts content, I too am scared to use this technique.
    Current: V10 RS 6 Saloon, 420mm Ceramics, MRC, Milltek, MTM bits, Audi exclusive bits - 757BHP/967NM
    Past: V8 RS 6 plus, Sprint Blue, 126 of 999

how many seconds (part of) will that differ from 0-60?
    Mugello Blue C5 RS6 Avant Viper Tuning ECU/TCU
    MTM Bimoto wheels 9,5 x 19 ET 30 LK 5x112 with 275/30/19 tyres
    MTM exhaust system cat back 4-pipe with throttle valves in 2 pipes, control

is it possible to get a seperate warranty on the box...?

I very much doubt that, the only way I can see the box alone being covered and not the rest of the car is if it were rebuilt/replaced.
    Current: V10 RS 6 Saloon, 420mm Ceramics, MRC, Milltek, MTM bits, Audi exclusive bits - 757BHP/967NM
    Past: V8 RS 6 plus, Sprint Blue, 126 of 999

^^^^ what Amar said, and if u can properly launch, a sec can be saved

sorry, not accurate, but 3.6 sec, can be achieved

we dont have to worry about the box when going manual...wow, think about that, launch control all the time..

Racers have used this technique for years and there are thousands and thousands of cars that use it without any problems whatsoever. My Turbo Buick stalls out at 3800-4000rpm using a high stall non-lock-up convertor which makes it launch like a bat out of hell and pull the front wheels off the gound with slicks on the back. Neither the engine, tranny, driveshaft, differential, or axles are stock though...

Clearly not something required for your family sedan. What you need to best understand however is that the car is only as strong as the weekest link and as many others have already mentioned, a 'stock' tranny w/ stock convertor will likely fail eventually under strain. There is no predetermined formula or timing for it, but I can guarantee you it will happen when you lease desire. Now, if you opt to utilize a modified tranny with improved clutch packs, improved lubrtication, improved valve body, and a higher stall modified convertor, then you could do this day in and day out without fail. In fact you could then look at using a transbrake too and really push the limits of launching.

My tune can hold revs over 2K prior to the hydraulics starting to engage the gears and then it goes like a bat out of hell. You won't save a second like some think, but you certainly can gain a few 10ths of a sec depending on your tune and coupled with weather/traction conditions.

Here's pics of what you DON'T want happening.....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6c65_1..jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	29.1 KB 
ID:	12054Click image for larger version. 

Name:	beeb_1..jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	12053Click image for larger version. 

Name:	547a_1..jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	12052
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

I've been 4.0 0-60. I've also personally changed my TC, so I keep my 0-60's to a minimum...
    2013 Audi S8

can't remember what model, but I seem to recall a certain GM 4-speed automatic that is popular among drag racers. With a manual transmission and lots of power, you need a multiplate clutch. And it is HARD to get those launches just right, especially with big turbos that will lag horribly if the RPMs drop. There's a technique with Skylines where you hold the car with the handbrake and then every so slightly engage the clutch to load the drivetrain and take out any slack, all while keeping RPMs way up. Brake boosting sounds very appealing for launching.
    Das Silberkugel - Eurocharged Stage 2/MTM/Level 10/Hotchkis/Koni/H&R
    2015 Ducati 1299S Panigale
    2014 Ducati Multistrada Granturismo

Brake boosting is the way to go for killer launches, but remember, when your brake boosting, your cooking your TQ and trans fluid at the same time.
    2013 Audi S8

To Hell with Brake Boosting !! Ripping every body up off the Light or Terrorizing every one on the Highway is good enough for Me. These Transmissions are to expensive to be messing around with..........................
    03 RS6, VIPER ECU, MTM TCU, Milltek Full Catless Non Res setup from Turbos to the boxes(ROAR'S), H&R Coilovers, Hotchkiss ARB's, 19x10's with 275-30-19 PSS's at each corner, Kenwood 9960 Head unit, V1 Radar Locator. 517 Trans Rebuild, ScrollProducts Turbo Rebuild.