Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Oil to Use in the RS6 part 2

Mech Best Oil to Use in the RS6 part 2

Hi everyone - I happened across a curious PDF file on the internets this evening - which should put to rest any speculation on what oils are approved for which specification.

The document I found is an Audi TSB dated July 2005. The subject matter? It's essentially a long list detailing which commercial oil brands, product line, and weight conform to the VW 502.00 standard - which is the successor standard to the 501.01 oil specification that our RS6 engines require...

I figured this might be a useful bit of information!

Audi Oil Specification Chart TSB
    Daily Drivers: 2002 Mercedes E55 AMG, Brilliant Silver, Autoadapt Menox control, hard-wired Valentine 1 | Ki Tsunami Titanium w/ Spinergy SPOX, Jay J2 Seatback, Jay J3 cushion, 2.5 degree camber

Currently I'm running Castrol 10W-40 - half-synt. That's what I got when I bought it, 80k miles ish. Running OK

Is there really a way of feeleng the difference between the manufacturers ? It's not like octane rating when You sometimes 'feel' more power.

I thought our spec was 505.01...
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

Quote Originally Posted by JSRS6 View Post
    I thought our spec was 505.01...
    Thats what i was thinking too, yes, it needs 50501...
    I should go for full synthetic 5w40.
    Mugello Blue C5 RS6 Avant Viper Tuning ECU/TCU
    MTM Bimoto wheels 9,5 x 19 ET 30 LK 5x112 with 275/30/19 tyres
    MTM exhaust system cat back 4-pipe with throttle valves in 2 pipes, control

505.01 is a heavy turbodiesel grade oil. Now I was ready to swear up and down that I had seen a specification in the manual stated - however, unfortunately the only manual page I've been able to find is this one:

Now - it states the following requirements for oil: API Service SJ/CF rating and ACEA A3, B3, B4 ratings...

We're going to engage in some fuzzy logic here at this point. The oil I ended up putting into the car, Kendall full synthetic GT-I oil - and a link to the specification sheet: Kendall GT-1 specification page

The specifications for the oil are as follows:

GT-1 Full Synthetic Motor Oil, SAE 5W-40, meets or exceeds the
    requirements of:
    • API Service SM, CF
    • ACEA A3/B3-04, A3/B4-04
    GT-1 Full Synthetic Motor Oil, SAE 5W-40, is fully approved for
    service fill under the following OEM specifications:
    • BMW Longlife-01 Oil
    • Mercedes-Benz Sheet 229.5
    • Porsche A40 (excludes Cayenne V6 for extended drain &
    Cayenne diesel)
    • VW Standard 505.00, 502.00
    OK, so - with that in mind, what the heck is the API Service SM/CF, and what makes it different? Well, we can just refer to the following reference guide from the American Petroleum Institute (API) which says:

CATEGORY STATUS SERVICE
    SN CURRENT Introduced in October 2010 for 2011 and older vehicles, designed to provide improved high temperature
    deposit protection for pistons, more stringent sludge control, and seal compatibility. API SN with Resource
    Conserving matches ILSAC GF-5 by combining API SN performance with improved fuel economy, turbocharger
    protection, emission control system compatibility, and protection of engines operating on ethanol-containing
    fuels up to E85.
    SM CURRENT For 2010 and older automotive engines.
    SL CURRENT For 2004 and older automotive engines.
    SJ CURRENT For 2001 and older automotive engines.
    One can draw the conclusion that all it takes to be VW 502 and 505 certified is to meet the API Service SJ/CF rating, and the ACEA A3, B3, B4 ratings - as this is what was originally specified for our vehicles by Audi...

Suggestions, comments, wishes we can put the worms back in the can? And a digression - this is what happens when I get bored, have insomnia, and have just finished debugging a million lines of code... its either brilliant or a waste of time.
    Daily Drivers: 2002 Mercedes E55 AMG, Brilliant Silver, Autoadapt Menox control, hard-wired Valentine 1 | Ki Tsunami Titanium w/ Spinergy SPOX, Jay J2 Seatback, Jay J3 cushion, 2.5 degree camber

The oil specification came as a supplement to the owners manual, and add on page that may have been lost over the years by most owners.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

During the original factory warranty period for our beasts when new, Audi realized that putting the wrong oil in this motor might cause some problems they were going to have to repair under warranty. So, they sent out a page in the manual that specifies you must use 505.01 and nothing else or your warranty would be voided. Basically, they were saying that if you have a motor problem, the first thing they would do is take an oil sample and have it analysed, If there was anything funky in the oil sample you would foot the bill..
    Of course, since this time we know other oils will work but it was just them guarding their 'bumplattzes' .. having said that, I have always used the 505.01 Castrol until the last change when I switched to something even better. Quantum Blue. Its amazing that you can feel/ hear the difference this amazing oil makes.

Can you elaborate on the differences?
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..
    "Some people play hard to get... I play hard to want."

2008 Oils guide VAG

http://my-gti.com/wp-content/uploads...ngine_oils.pdf

And here is a great expanation of the VAG oil standards and one of the reasons I went with Redline as they have one of the highest HTHS (High Temp/High Shear) ratings in the industry. As I've said before, in the states, only Mobil 1 0W-40 meats Audi's standard, and only by a fraction as it has a HTHS of 3.6 (VAG minimum is 3.6), Redline 5W-40 is 4.5 or 4.6.

http://mysite.verizon.net/b5crazy/si...ec_article.pdf
    Last edited by hahnmgh63; December 2nd, 2011 at 23:02.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

^ I have 8 quarts of redline 5w40 and a hengst waiting for me at the shop today!
    03 RS6 Daytona Grey - EFI Express - 01e - SRM K24 - Aquamist - 495whp/580ft-lbs

Just tried Lubro-Moly 5w 40 yesterday.. local shop carreid it and I wanted to see if it makes a difference with my valve angel adjuster noise. Was using BND before.
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..
    "Some people play hard to get... I play hard to want."

I had more noise with the Lubro-moly than the Pentosin with respect to valve noise immediately on startup
    2003 RS 6
    2001.5 S4
    1990 200
    1990 Lotus Esprit SE
    2002 F4i Racecar

Smileys are to Car Forums like the Bubonic Plague was to Europe...

Amsoil makes a 5W-40, European blend that is certified to the 505.01 standard. I have used Oil Analyzers in the past to analyze the oil on my 2.7 T - it showed that at around 7 K mi the TBN (total base index) was out of spec, - thus the need to change oil at 5 K mi. I have not analyzed the oil on the RS6 yet - but will pull a sample at 5 K (when I change) and post the findings.

Go with Quantum Blue from BND Automotive. Most oil out there now has cut down on additives that prolong cylinder/engine life but could impact the catalytic converters. Oil analysis after 8K miles with Quantum Blue in the engine attached in this prior post http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/20...ht=#post220140
    The TBN was minimal at 8k miles, but the high phosphorus content is the key. ACES IV and Quantum Blue, running 100 octane tune now at 115K miles and running smooth as ever...
    First RS6 totaled at 142K. Now donor for S6 Avant project. Daily driver: Sepang Blue 2016 S6. Black optics, sport package. #2 Black on Black, Level 10 and Koni, Eclipse Nav + Sirius, 034 Motorsports ECU and TCU tune.

Very interesting info. I deal with viscosity measurements on a daily basis and in my world, comparing 2.7cP material and 3.6cP is akin to comparing viscosity fo water from two different bottles from the same case. It is mindboggling that such a minute difference can play such a huge role. Please note, I am not disputing this, because Audi had staked its 8 year warranty on 1.8T engines based on this data - money/mouth deal.

What a scientist in me would like to know, if anyone can point me to a data source that compares viscosities of different motor oils, so I can pour over the data to educate myself better. I know Bing is my friend, but if anyone has a link handy, it would save time. Thanks!
    2003 RS6 MTM, RNS-E, 2007 Q7 and 1999 A4

Just to clarify, I have used Amsoil products (synthetic) on all my vehicles. When I owned a 2001 A6, 2.7T I ran the 5w-30 blend. I had the oil analyzed by Oil Analyzers sample the oil at 5 K mi and approx. 10 K mi. The TBN # was in spec at 5k, but out at 10 K. I decided to change the oil consistently at 5 K. I am now runing the 5w-40 European blend. I will sample it at 5 K mi and let you know what the results are. Probably 2 months away.

Bump,
    Do you guys use BND's oil filter as well?

When my indy shop did mine two weeks ago, they said they check the specs with Audi constantly (before any change) because they are upgraded a lot more frequently than this thread leads one to believe. The tech in fact said ours was updated relatively recently because I think Audi was looking at historic gasket wear or something (going off memory here though). They were adamant about only 5w-40 weight though, that much I remember. My shop uses only Total and would probably never put an aftermarket filter unless I begged them. Audiprotn, need a recommendation? I'm in Chi.