Thread: Is an RS6 right for me??

Is an RS6 right for me??

I have always loved RS6’s and still fancy getting one, I currently have a RR Sport 2008 that I use as a daily driver and a few trips on the weekend, I live in MN and commute around 15 miles a day round trip.>>
    So I want to sell the RR and get a smaller car so I can get a lift in my garage and buy a classic 911. Life story over.>>
    >>
    Now having read many posts, you could get the feeling that the RS6 is a nightmare with DRC and TC issues, are they really this bad? I get it’s a performance car and maintenance will be high (drive belts, brakes etc), but if maintained are they a good DD?>>
    >>
    I ask as I read similar nightmares about the RR, but other than maintenance it has been fine. Are the horror stories rare and generally these are well built German cars or is this for fans only?>>
    >>
    I really want one but I am not a fanatic and don’t want something I am constantly throwing $$ at. My other choice is a E500 4 matic, for the same money I can get a 2005-2006 car vs a 2003. Or crazier still a VW Phaeton, which seems to be a stupid amount of car for the money.>>
    >>
    Is a RS6 a good DD, good in winter, reliable (as any performance car can be), or would I be better with something else??>>

Ok....
    DRC/TC-they are weak points, but usuaslly there are examples of RS6 that have had them both replaced, and some w/ aftmkt suspension(better)
    Any 8+ year old car u buy, make sure there are service records. U can buy an RS6 with 65k+ miles that has had plenty of service and will run another 75k miles, the engines are solid.(cosworth)
    The car is a freight train stock, with room for 5 people....drives great in snow, rain, and all other conditions.
    If u plan on tuning, a well documented and reliable stage 1 can be had for $500, and adds another 50-60hp at crank.

Service records....
    rotors/brakes are $1300+ just for parts...so look for one replaced.
    Timing belt service is expensive, $1700 on average....35k miles, next one 75k miles.
    sensors and the like arent cheap, not suprising on a hiperformance car, BUT to get to them all is...labor intesive....e500....forget it, this car runs with majority of modern, new sport cars....its a blast
    Ebony/Black, DBR Stage 3 race kit, -SOLD :( 996TT Proto 650 basically a sardine can with a rocket attached to the back...11' CTS-V, 540/579RWP hehehehe ;)

BTW E500 air suspension (with all earlier MB) is also prone to failure, and extremely expensive.. Really, the RS is not that much worse than any other older euro car at all, just a bit heavier on maint costs due to rarity and tighter packaging.
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..
    "Some people play hard to get... I play hard to want."

The Airmatic suspension is the primary reason I didn't go with a W211 E55 AMG as my Daily. Mind you, you will always sacrifice some reliability when you wish to daily drive a car such as this. You've DDing a Rolls - there is no way an RS6 could be nearly as bad.

That being said, each car is unique - a game of roulette in my experience. My old E55 AMG was a nightmare, as was my old M5... before that, I had an M3 (perfect! no problems at all beyond scheduled maintenance). Heard lots of nightmare stories about Audi that initially kept me away - but in my exhaustive research before I bought the car, I learned that an RS6 really isn't THAT much more complicated or unreliable than a standard A6 4.2, or any other C5 with quattro for that matter...
    Daily Drivers: 2002 Mercedes E55 AMG, Brilliant Silver, Autoadapt Menox control, hard-wired Valentine 1 | Ki Tsunami Titanium w/ Spinergy SPOX, Jay J2 Seatback, Jay J3 cushion, 2.5 degree camber

not all DRC systems fail, but many do. Solving it can be done for $2000 (switching to coilovers). But it's a very nice system when it's working (mine's still functional).

Investing about a grand in the transmission (valve body upgrade, and TCU reflash) will help with longevity. There are little niggles here and there, but every older car has those. What impresses me greatly is that the engine itself is bulletproof, even though many of us run reflashed ECUs that add decent horsepower and a huge amount of torque (over 100lb/ft), and that torque increase really makes the car quick off the line. In essence, with the suspension and transmission sorted, you have a 520bhp bullet that is among the more reliable cars out there. Not many engines can produce over 100bhp/liter and still run forever like an Accord.

I've also found the cargo capabilities of the RS6 to be impressive; there isn't much you can't carry with the seats folded down. My wife and I drove 1400 miles over the Thanksgiving holiday, and as we prefer to drive through the night, we actually turned the rear into a bed by laying down a thin futon (all our luggage was set to one side). One of us would sleep cozily while the other drove.

If I could wish for a few things - a dual clutch transmission. Firmer seats with bigger bolsters and be able to lower another inch or so. Pillowball bushings in the suspension to really stiffen the ride. So not a whole lot.

The RS6, originally intended to be the best possible substitute for my true #1 car, has turned out to be so impressive that even though I'm spending Christmas in Korea and get to drive my Skyline GT-R again, what was once my obsession (the Skyline) is really an afterthought now.
    Das Silberkugel - Eurocharged Stage 2/MTM/Level 10/Hotchkis/Koni/H&R
    2015 Ducati 1299S Panigale
    2014 Ducati Multistrada Granturismo

Sorry guys, I was a little unclear, my current car is a Range Rover Sport not a Rolls

thanks for the insight, much appreciated

Well, my opinion stands. If you can handle an out of warranty Range Rover, then you shouldn't blink at an RS6. It's really no worse than any other high end German sedan.
    Daily Drivers: 2002 Mercedes E55 AMG, Brilliant Silver, Autoadapt Menox control, hard-wired Valentine 1 | Ki Tsunami Titanium w/ Spinergy SPOX, Jay J2 Seatback, Jay J3 cushion, 2.5 degree camber

Sorry but the costs for parts and getting those parts in the car are more than anything else out there. You wil need to find a good independent shop as the dealer will eat you alive ($2500-2700 for that timing belt change service, 1K less at indy shop). Even oil changes are more as you need to drop the stabilizer bar. You go through tires at a rate of a set every 15-16K due the camber, you eat rotors at double the rate of any other car and the cheapest replacements are still well over $600. Anything breaks the entire front bumper or more needs to come off to get to it. You will spend more maintaining this thing than most older cars. And the tranny is a ticking time bomb so you must have a contingency plan if it goes...big gamble if you can't swing that at some point. $6K. The last set of plugs i put in the car cost $300. Control arms go quick as do other bushings in front suspension. Double the rate of other cars I have owned (good news is that prices are not too bad).

It was for me under warranty a fantastic everyday driver that got me through anything and everything weather wise and was a joy to drive every day. It really is the ultimate all around car. But over 6 years it spent more than 6 months in the shop. Stock i had 4 transmissions and 5 torque converters...you may get a good one or you may get one with issues but every RS6 I know of personally except one rarely used had tranny issues. I have a TT I am keeping going forever but its costs are nothing compared to what I sank into my RS6.
    2012 R8 GT #275 Suzuka, 2014 RS7 Suzuka/Lunar Silver, 2013 RS5 Suzuka/Lunar Silver
    2000 Audi TT Neiman Marcus Edition #47, 1960 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible
    Past...03 RS6, 10 S5 Cabriolet, 00 NMTT #25, 94 Audi Cabriolet

I have 115K on the speedo, stock tranny, replaced DRC, and one hell of a ride. APR tune for ECU and TCU, plus exhaust. Only maintenance from the initial purchase. I've got Mark's wheels on the car. I've watched this board for years, some have had good fortune, others not. But add the tune, some ACES IV in the tank, and you've got a ride that very, very few new drives can replicate.
    First RS6 totaled at 142K. Now donor for S6 Avant project. Daily driver: Sepang Blue 2016 S6. Black optics, sport package. #2 Black on Black, Level 10 and Koni, Eclipse Nav + Sirius, 034 Motorsports ECU and TCU tune.

I have a Bilstein suspension on an RS6 with barely 9,000 miles, along with five spoke 19s and a chip. That, and a 1988 911 cabriolet with 75K original miles.

It's a good combo and I recommend it.

As for issues, consider that we're all gathered in one place talking about every little thing that goes wrong. Yet we're all committed to the cause.

Buy one.

my local dealer had been calling me, asking me to trade in my car. They were very, very persistent. Finally I said, ok, what do you have that matches the performance of my car? Really, it's only the R8 V10. If you're willing to swap even-steven I might consider it, but then, the R8 can't carry the people or cargo I need my car to haul around. So it's really no deal, even if money isn't a factor.
    Das Silberkugel - Eurocharged Stage 2/MTM/Level 10/Hotchkis/Koni/H&R
    2015 Ducati 1299S Panigale
    2014 Ducati Multistrada Granturismo

My rs/6 which I have owned for 4 years has been a delight. Have no major problems has apr/tip chip, running aces iv it is a blast. Mmaturo what Indy shop did you use? I take it to Ewerks for apr updates, tuning, plugs, oil changes.

If you're looking for rock-solid reliability and cheap maintainance, buy something else. If you're looking for AWESOME, buy an RS6.
    2003 RS6, Mugello Blue/Ebony - SOLD :-(
    2015 S5 Coupe, Mythos Black w/Black Optics package and an attitude

Quote Originally Posted by vitalian View Post
    If you're looking for rock-solid reliability and cheap maintainance, buy something else. If you're looking for AWESOME, buy an RS6.
    Hear Hear! Well said.

Anyone even considering the notion of one of these cars must understand the inherent perils that come with the RS6 badge. It is, for all intents and purposes an exotic supercar in the body of a humdrum saloon. Would people have more realistic maintenance expectations if it looked like an R8 instead?

Quote Originally Posted by PixieVC View Post
    Hear Hear! Well said.

Anyone even considering the notion of one of these cars must understand the inherent perils that come with the RS6 badge. It is, for all intents and purposes an exotic supercar in the body of a humdrum saloon. Would people have more realistic maintenance expectations if it looked like an R8 instead?
    I prefer to call it "super stealth"! Especially with my super secret non-se exhaust! ...never know what hit them!
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Thumbs up

It is a car like no other. Expensive to maintain? Certainly can be. Parts can be expensive as mentioned, but if you do your own work and are not afraid to learn and be patient with some of the nuances of working on it.
    I have replaced the timing belt and water pump over a weekend with a friend (probably about 20 hrs). Parts including accesory belt, water pump, misc. hoses etc, and I only spent about $300. Replaced a CV joint - $89 + misc. total - $115. Replaced a trunk latch $80.

I bought the car as a salvage with 35k on the clock. I was fortunate that it already had a tune and TCU upgrade, as well as the DRC recall. (DRC replacement options range from $1200 A-6 sport struts and springs to $2000-3000 coil-over setups)

I am not exactly rolling in money, but I use it as a daily driver. I manually shift the trans always (either with the stick or with paddles). I'm hoping that and the TCU programing will help the trans last, which seems to be the main drawback to this car.

But hey, what do you expect with a 500 HP\500 TQ, 4000# stealthmobile......

Long story short. This car is sooo... cool and amazing, I have been forever spoiled. I have no idea how to ever top the RS6 for the price, and what you get.

I agree with what most people on this forum says about this car. I have owned one for about a year and don't think I´ll ever sell it, it's as Vitalian says, simply awesome. Nothing can offer the combination of power/ handling/ built quality/features/
    luxury/class, and good looks/ exclusivity/ AT THIS PRICE ! ¿ Or you rather drive last years' Accord? I didn't think you would. Owining one is like going to Europe: You should it at least once in your life. The experience is worth it. go for it.