Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2011 rns-e

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer View Post
    Absolutely... I'm planning on replacing the OnStar module with the Audi BT module and will definitely grab the Sat antenna from that spot. I assume I'll need an extension cable..? Looks like I need to code for DIS nav info but my car was non-nav so no surprise there.

Played with the nav a bit this morning on the drive to work and the voice actually prompted me for TMC traffic conditions... "attention, traffic congestion ahead in 2 miles" type thing. Very cool...
    Tom, why does it look like it isn't sitting flush with the climate controls? or are you just working on it still?
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

The OnStar unit uses two antennas: one for the cellular network and one for GPS. The GPS antenna can be reused for the RNS-E.

The extension cable needs FAKRA connectors. I think you need a cable with one male end and one female end, but I don't recall exactly.

That is very good question for Tom....Tom push it in !...unless you plan or working on it. Still if you accelerate harder your new unit may end up on the back seat ! so for now...push it in until it clicks...you got removal keys after all :-)

Kday, when I junked my Onstar module I was able to pull the GPS antenna out from the wiring harness back to just about abeam the center console and got it to stretch just enough to connect directly to my RNS-E unit without an extension, it was tight but just fit. To my dismay though, seems like the Sharkfin antenna reception is identical to the magnetic stickon one I was running behind the instrument cluster, both great signals so I don't know what I was hoping for actually, I did get rid of at least one or two ounces of weight right???
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Zawa, pls send cost etc details to me thanks....Ken

Quote Originally Posted by hahnmgh63 View Post
    Kday, when I junked my Onstar module I was able to pull the GPS antenna out from the wiring harness back to just about abeam the center console and got it to stretch just enough to connect directly to my RNS-E unit without an extension, it was tight but just fit. To my dismay though, seems like the Sharkfin antenna reception is identical to the magnetic stickon one I was running behind the instrument cluster, both great signals so I don't know what I was hoping for actually, I did get rid of at least one or two ounces of weight right???
    I was thinking that might end up being the result... I'm 7 or 8 sats at all times. I doubt the fin would do much better. Of course, that weight savings has to add up to some power gain, great point! ;-)

I like the idea of a little cleaner setup, but then how much am I behind my dash.

Definitely not pushed all the way in in the pics. I'm going to be back in there in the very near future with adding a line in harness so figured I'd just not fully seat it, but good point on the acceleration! See, just not used to having all that power... my previous ride (admittedly an in-between beater car) couldn't get out of it's own way!

I did find this extension cable, I think the length would be about right:

Fakra Extension Cable

So that should be enough length... good to know there is GPS antenna specifically. Is it fairly obvious which one is GPS and which is cell?

Anyway, still churning on which way to go with the BT solution. With not having a MFSW, answering and placing calls will be less convenient.

I don't remember having any confusion over which antenna lead was for the GPS. I think they are different colors, or marked in some obvious way.

Regarding BT -- out of the box it seems to be set up to answer automatically. At least that's the way mine is, and once I got used to it I found it convenient. What is definitely not convenient is scrolling through the directory to make outbound calls. It's quicker to just take the phone out of my pocket and use the directory there.

Just 'finished' my install... had been having kind of odd audio, music didn't attenuate when the nav voice came on, volume was a bit high when turned all the way down and then back up 1 notch. Plus wanted to axe the unused 4th connector for non-bose. Got to looking at the pinout chart and as it turns out the bose wire was not moved from pin 3 to pin 7 on the B connector. So, swapped that over and she sounds even better and is acting right. I had an inkling that might have been the case with a speaker code I was getting. I recall doing the same way back when I did and RNS-E retrofit into my B6 S4. Anyway, unit fully seated and looks absolutely amazing. I'll post an 'in action' shot tomorrow.

I'll have to pull it back out when I do the line in harness (bit of a pain because it's a TIGHT fit) but better safe than sorry. It would be a shame if I missed out on a kill because I was worried about my RNS-E flying out of the dash!!

I really want to see photos of these. So tempting to get one.

I joke with my friends that when you go WOT you better batten down the hatches. We just instituded tolling here in WA and I didn't want to stick anything to my windshield. My plan was to hold the pass up as I go under the reader. First thing I do is floor it onto an on ramp and the pass flies to the back seat...
    2003 Daytona/Silver RS6

Quote Originally Posted by Chung View Post
    I really want to see photos of these. So tempting to get one.

I joke with my friends that when you go WOT you better batten down the hatches. We just instituded tolling here in WA and I didn't want to stick anything to my windshield. My plan was to hold the pass up as I go under the reader. First thing I do is floor it onto an on ramp and the pass flies to the back seat...

Tons of pics here: 2011 RNS-E FS Thread

Zawa,

How does this integrate into the RNS-E or does it even?
    http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...Camera-Special
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Hey Ben

Dont really know about anybody paired new gen RNS-E with camera. You see the price of the camera set and know why not many want to take risk and try it...especially that yo can not return it.
    Same with AMI to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by zawa View Post
    Dont really know about anybody paired new gen RNS-E with camera. You see the price of the camera set and know why not many want to take risk and try it...especially that yo can not return it.
    Same with AMI to be honest.
    I did see a write up on an A8 that had the RNS-E installed (unsure of the generation) and a generic camera that was connected directly to the wiring harness and then coded via VAGCOM to use "Lamborghini mode" to use the camera when shifting into reverse.

Send me the link and I will tell you which gen it is. Yes ihad been done with old generation but never heard of new one. Would be nice to try :-)