Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Learning my way around the car--so what are these?

Learning my way around the car--so what are these?

So, my RS 6 didn't come with an owners manual (BTW, anybody know where I can get one, in either paper or pdf format?). I've come across a few things that I can't quite figure out. So, what are these:

There is a hole in my center console in the tray behind the mirror adjuster. What is supposed to go here?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0221..jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	81.9 KB 
ID:	12015

Directly behind that tray is another one, which is under the armrest (not the one inside the armrest, but the one under it). The front of that tray is blocked off, with a small plug located on the vertical wall of the block. I've provided a picture of the entire tray, and then a close-up of the plug. What is that for?

Name:	IMAG0223..jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	128.6 KB 
ID:	12016

Name:	IMAG0222..jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	124.1 KB 
ID:	12017

Next up, there is a small speaker (or something that looks like a speaker) on the right side of the vehicle right next to the front passenger seat, kinda behind its seatbelt. What is that for?

Name:	IMAG0219..jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	70.8 KB 
ID:	12018

And finally, there is a cubby under the steering wheel. What is that for?

Name:	IMAG0220..jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	12019

Oh, actually one more. At the very back of the rear deck are a couple of vents grills. At first I thought they were speaker grills of some sort, but there is nothing behind them in the trunk. Are these to let the sound from the subwoofer in, or to let air out, or what?

Name:	IMAG0218..jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	111.9 KB 
ID:	12020

Let's see here...behind the mirror adjust is the space for nav buttons...below the armrest are connections for old cell phone...I want to know about the side speaker too, maybe for warning chimes....cubby under steering wheel is for owners manual....vent in back for defrosting?...I once had aspirations about scanning and PDFing the manual...
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

So, in vehicles without nav, was there just a blank inserted in that spot? Am I just missing the blank?

As for the old cell phone connection, are you saying that is an aftermarket addition? Is that entire block an add-on, or just the plug installed in it?

1. behind the mirror adjust is the space for nav buttons... - IF your car came with NAV. You could replace that with a cup holder
    2. below the armrest are connections for old cell phone - the cell phone option was the entire center arm rest (Speedtrapped might be able to provide a photo?)
    3. I want to know about the side speaker too, maybe for warning chimes - WHA?!?!? never seen this...
    4. cubby under steering wheel is for owners manual - or other items (lead vitamin holder)
    5. vent in back for defrosting - I would think that is for the LOVELY Bose audio dual 4" subwoofer sound output...
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Ben, I've been thinking the same about having something more powerful than the manual down there. I'll take a closer look at the side pillar "speaker" vent...
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

I tried my lead vitamin holder down there, wouldn't stay. but mine has a frame mounted belt clip (Kel-tek PF9). Probably need to mount a holster in there...
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

I always thought the speaker was for the phone but it is a weird location (it would be on the other side). Maybe it is for speaker phone on RHD
    2003 Daytona/Silver RS6

It is wired for the handsfree phone system. In the S4's it was in the driver door. On ours it is in the b-pillar.

4b0 035 411 4pk

illustration 035-35 in etka
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

Quote Originally Posted by JSRS6 View Post
    It is wired for the handsfree phone system. In the S4's it was in the driver door. On ours it is in the b-pillar.

4b0 035 411 4pk

illustration 035-35 in etka
    Score, nice one...

Quote Originally Posted by JSRS6 View Post
    I tried my lead vitamin holder down there, wouldn't stay. but mine has a frame mounted belt clip (Kel-tek PF9). Probably need to mount a holster in there...
    Yep, was thinking a holster attached, there is a guy in Arizona I think that makes nice custom leather ones, pocket style with no belt clip. Haven't checked my Walther PPS 9 yet, but thinking something even smaller, but the PPS is slender and super accurate.

Lead vitamins....LOL! that's a great idea though, I'll have to fit check my HK P2000 and see how it fits. Black Hills Leather makes great holsters, bought a few from them/him. I'm sure they can make a custom holster to fit in the owner's manual slot. www.bhlstore.com
    2003 RS 6______________________________________________
    Mugello Blue/Silver Interior/Wood Trim/Warm Weather Package/
    LED Tail lights/RNS-E/DVD Video/OEM S5 19's/Custom Painted Calipers/Full CAT-Less, Nonresonated Milltek/APR DV's/
    H-Sport Sway Bars/5 Bar FPR/ABT Aluminum pedals/MTM TCU Chip

-------Other Rides
    2007 Cadillac Escalade
    2007 Jeep Compass
    2006 Jeep Commander
    2006 Chevy Colorado Reg Cab
    -------

Ya know, I'm pretty happy with my PF9 on my hip. Even while driving i have access to it. Sometimes i forget its even there. Next step...lasermax micro.

And if i have to go in somewhere i can't carry, i just put everything in the door card....still concealed...:-)

Quote Originally Posted by snoopra View Post
    Lead vitamins....LOL! that's a great idea though, I'll have to fit check my HK P2000 and see how it fits. Black Hills Leather makes great holsters, bought a few from them/him. I'm sure they can make a custom holster to fit in the owner's manual slot. www.bhlstore.com
    Mine sits there inside a bank deposit bag. Forgot it there when I dropped it off for service once. Got a phone call later that day from the Service Manager...guess the tech opened the bag expecting to find some lettuce and found some lead; shit a brick apparently.
    2003 RS6 Mugello Blue - mods? Whatever Ben does....

Careful. I used to keep my manual there and when my friend opened up the throttle it hit him in the nuts. Moral of the story be nice or the car will hurt you
    2003 Daytona/Silver RS6

Quote Originally Posted by Born2be View Post
    Mine sits there inside a bank deposit bag. Forgot it there when I dropped it off for service once. Got a phone call later that day from the Service Manager...guess the tech opened the bag expecting to find some lettuce and found some lead; shit a brick apparently.
    Wade, I had to laugh when you told me that story!!!

I wonder what other surprises we will find on these 9yo cars....
    Does anyone know what the handle above where the seatbelt is on the "B" pillar? Is that for releasing the seat belt lock?
    It looks like it should adjust up/down but I will be damned if I could get it to move...
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Quote Originally Posted by ben916 View Post
    Wade, I had to laugh when you told me that story!!!

I wonder what other surprises we will find on these 9yo cars....
    Does anyone know what the handle above where the seatbelt is on the "B" pillar? Is that for releasing the seat belt lock?
    It looks like it should adjust up/down but I will be damned if I could get it to move...
    If its been in that position for awhile, it'll get pretty stuck. You just gotta man handle it a little Ben...;-)

But to answer your question, its for height adjustment...

I got my owner's manual from Audi for $40. Just select from the drop boxes.

https://www.audi.techliterature.com/...uctSearch.aspx

Seriously, what happens with all of these manuals? I'm on my 3rd (used) Audi, and have had to buy one for each.