View Poll Results: Did I get an awesome car or didn't I?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

4 100.00%
  • Yes

2 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New owner with a silver '03

New owner with a silver '03

Hi everyone. I had signed up originally before I bought the car, in the hopes that somebody would scare me enough about the potential headache I was buying. As luck would have it, my profile awaited activation by the moderators. And I just couldn't contain myself - I had to buy the thing.

I don't have any photos as yet - managed to drop my DSLR lens first onto the concrete of my driveway just as I was getting into the car to take the photos. Camera body is fine but the lens is toast - and all I had available was a 200-500mm telephoto and a fisheye available... so, no pics until Nikon comes through. On second thought, I'll snap some with my phone when I get the car back from the valet this afternoon.

So, here's details: It's a silver 2003, around 100k miles, all service records. The suspension (and the acronym I just can't remember) was fully replaced around 70k miles. Water pump/etc done around the same time. Car was serviced with a local dealer for its whole term of ownership. Something that slightly troubles me is that I have no reference to the timing belt being done throughout the life of the car.

Torque converter is original - and, stupidly I passed on a pre-purchase inspection (the deal was just too good to walk from) - and I think I might have a Quattro or torque converter problem of some sort. The car runs great - after a good hard romp there's a slight whiff of coolant so something is leaking, but it runs just a teeny bit to the H side of dead center. Oil temps run around 180-190c.

Everything works - aside from plastic flaking off the interior console, and the original CD changer not working as expected - everything functions properly as expected.

To elaborate re: my quattro issue - I noticed a rather odd vibration which, up until this morning I thought only occurs under full power in 3rd or 4th gear while accelerating through 80-90-100-110. (All testing occurred in Tijuana). There was an odd thing that I thought was a tire out of balance - just a strange vibration. Didn't sense any slippage - power was definitely as it should have been. The car keeps pulling harder and harder the faster you go....

This vibration occurred again this morning - when I had the wheel cranked full left for a u-turn, and applied a fairly liberal amount of gas. As soon as I straightened out the vibration was gone - but it sort of has me thinking - perhaps its not transferring power properly between the wheels?

Records do state that the CV boots in front have been replaced recently (about 10,000 miles ago) and some assorted other suspension parts. The joints themselves have not been replaced - and I remember that CVs can sometimes act up in ways that mimic what I'm feeling.

I've put less than 300 miles on the car (slightly over half a tank of gas), so I don't really 'know' it yet... dash computer tells me I'm averaging 18.8 mpg, which, if that's the reality of it, surprises the heck out of me - especially knowing how I drive. I was able to caress a consistent 20 mpg out of my outgoing/sold 2000 BMW M5. If I can manage 18 with this car, I'll be super happy.

Next up: Establish a $5k emergency fund for the car before the warranty runs out!

congrats on your new RS , i have also bought a silver one 2004 with almost 70k miles, i need to go and pick it up these days, i will also make a proper presentation

regarding your issues, as i have been reading a lot before buying one and though there are some scary stories about these cars i went a ahead anyway and bought one, the vibration you're talking about when you were doing the U-turn, i felt that too on almost all the RS's i have tested, on some of them was worse on some them you could barely felt it, someone on the forum said that it could be due to the central differential wear but if you can also feel it in a straight line when powerfully accelerating then it might be the TQ.

your car should've had a major service at 75k miles which includes the timing belt kit, water pump and thermostat but as i know the next one is again at 110k miles for the timing belt as it must be changed every 35k miles! I have to do it as well!

Good luck and post some pictures!

Quote Originally Posted by PixieVC View Post
    So, here's details: It's a silver 2003, around 100k miles, all service records. The suspension (and the acronym I just can't remember) was fully replaced around 70k miles. Water pump/etc done around the same time. Car was serviced with a local dealer for its whole term of ownership. Something that slightly troubles me is that I have no reference to the timing belt being done throughout the life of the car.

Torque converter is original - and, stupidly I passed on a pre-purchase inspection (the deal was just too good to walk from) - and I think I might have a Quattro or torque converter problem of some sort. The car runs great - after a good hard romp there's a slight whiff of coolant so something is leaking, but it runs just a teeny bit to the H side of dead center. Oil temps run around 180-190c.

Everything works - aside from plastic flaking off the interior console, and the original CD changer not working as expected - everything functions properly as expected.

To elaborate re: my quattro issue - I noticed a rather odd vibration which, up until this morning I thought only occurs under full power in 3rd or 4th gear while accelerating through 80-90-100-110. (All testing occurred in Tijuana). There was an odd thing that I thought was a tire out of balance - just a strange vibration. Didn't sense any slippage - power was definitely as it should have been. The car keeps pulling harder and harder the faster you go....

Records do state that the CV boots in front have been replaced recently (about 10,000 miles ago) and some assorted other suspension parts. The joints themselves have not been replaced - and I remember that CVs can sometimes act up in ways that mimic what I'm feeling.

I've put less than 300 miles on the car (slightly over half a tank of gas), so I don't really 'know' it yet... dash computer tells me I'm averaging 18.8 mpg, which, if that's the reality of it, surprises the heck out of me - especially knowing how I drive. I was able to caress a consistent 20 mpg out of my outgoing/sold 2000 BMW M5. If I can manage 18 with this car, I'll be super happy.

Next up: Establish a $5k emergency fund for the car before the warranty runs out!
    Welcome!
    Is this a US RS6 or a Non-US RS6? If you can post the last 6 digits of the VIN...

TJ?!?! I hope you are kidding....

So if there are all records, the Timing Belt would be a major service in that listing of service... scheduled intervals would be 35k/75k/105k - and 40k there after.
    IIRC, it is less expensive to change the entire axle versus changing just a CV boot - or is it a P.I.T.A. factor

Vibration:
    perhaps new rubber?
    balance those rims as TJ's roads are not the best - neither are California's for that case.
    prior CV boot install was wonked? - Bearing toast?
    Control arms?

Trans slippage:
    This one is a gasoline subject - many unfailed RS6 transmissions are on the original ATF. There have been several that have changed the ATF and shortly after, due to current high mileage, the TQ or Transmission $hit the bed. If you are under warranty, that might not be such a bad thing.

Oil Temp:
    Most of us are at 200(10 o'clock position) but NOT straight up (12 o'clock or 1 or 2)
    I would suggest changing it.

BUT - if the TQ and the transmission do go south, you get all new fluids(except oil - and have them do the TB service) as most shops don't know how to change them - they just pull the motor
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Let me be blunt: I'm cheap, and I will defer whatever I can as long as I can when it comes to maintenance and operation of this vehicle... yes yes, I can hear the chorus of groans already... but realistically, I am not going to have the car more than 3 years, and by then it'll be, as they say 'rode hard and put away wet', and will live on probably as a parts donor by the time I'm through.

It's going to be driven harder than it has ever been before under my purview. It'll be loved, and I will fix what I know is about to break - but not to the extreme that some people maintain things. I used to do that - with my old M5, and my old E55 - and I got no additional value out of it. None. Zip. Zilch.

We'll see what happens with the vibration. For now, the car is a perfectly serviceable daily driver.

Do you have the last 6 of the VIN so I can add it to the list?
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

do a thorough wheel balance and alignment to sort that high speed vibration. I just went through that last month.
    Das Silberkugel - Eurocharged Stage 2/MTM/Level 10/Hotchkis/Koni/H&R
    2015 Ducati 1299S Panigale
    2014 Ducati Multistrada Granturismo

Time for show and tell... apologies in advance for image quality. I dropped my DSLR on the lens (and broke it) as I was getting out of the car... motor's broken, and autofocus. The camera body survived, thank god for that...

I've got a minor coolant leak - and power steering pump started making some noise today... and so it begins.

Welcome! I would have to say the vibration is more likely wheel bearings as this has happened to me recently. Timing belt would/should've been done while replacing water pump. We, well Ben916 maintains a list of VIN # so we can know how many beasts still lives so you can list your last 6 or PM him as you are now part of the "Family"
    PS
    try to inspect the auxiliary radiators behind the intercoolers for leaks
    Last edited by snoopra; November 23rd, 2011 at 04:51. Reason: Add txt
    2003 RS 6______________________________________________
    Mugello Blue/Silver Interior/Wood Trim/Warm Weather Package/
    LED Tail lights/RNS-E/DVD Video/OEM S5 19's/Custom Painted Calipers/Full CAT-Less, Nonresonated Milltek/APR DV's/
    H-Sport Sway Bars/5 Bar FPR/ABT Aluminum pedals/MTM TCU Chip

-------Other Rides
    2007 Cadillac Escalade
    2007 Jeep Compass
    2006 Jeep Commander
    2006 Chevy Colorado Reg Cab
    -------

Oh and last 6 of my VIN: 904870

Almost as nice as Daytona Gray
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..
    "Some people play hard to get... I play hard to want."

Quote Originally Posted by snoopra View Post
    Welcome! I would have to say the vibration is more likely wheel bearings as this has happened to me recently. Timing belt would/should've been done while replacing water pump. We, well Ben916 maintains a list of VIN # so we can know how many beasts still lives so you can list your last 6 or PM him as you are now part of the "Family"
    Soopra, thanks for the welcome. Got a question for you - what tail lights do you have on your car? They look very interesting...

looks exactly like the one i have just bought , the only difference being the exhaust which is ABT. Yours looks very good as well, i se you've started with some issues already, i have too, mine is in the garage for overhauling the DRC, for the second time in 2 years, if i was to pay the entire amount for the job i would've swapped it for an aftermarket kit but i am only covering half of it, 3 shock absorbers are leaking and must be replaced, i am not sure if they were supposed to change them all....!? 2 years ago and less then 15k miles all 4 were replaced by the previous owner and now again...this is really a crappy system...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3..jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	11991  

Looks nice man, esp. for the miles....enjoy !!!

Looks to sit a bit high in the rear, was the DRC ever replaced under the factory warranty? Many (most?) places overcharge the struts back there giving you the 'aufstand'...mine is like that too (for now). Not a big deal tho.

Welcome to the RS6 family. 8-)
    SOLD ! 2003 RS6 Mugello/Silver -MTM
    2001 allroad 6-speed (300K+), 1992 Mercedes-Benz 500E, 2007 Mercedes-Benz CLK63, 2010 BMW X3, 1986 16V Scirocco, 2005 Mercedes E55 Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post
    Looks nice man, esp. for the miles....enjoy !!!

Looks to sit a bit high in the rear, was the DRC ever replaced under the factory warranty? Many (most?) places overcharge the struts back there giving you the 'aufstand'...mine is like that too (for now). Not a big deal tho.

Welcome to the RS6 family. 8-)
    DRC was replaced under warranty at 75k miles... rides very very well now. My mechanic identified a leak in one of the front struts... I'm deferring the repair for now as there's no noticeable ride quality issue yet, so I am not worried about it.

Taking the car on a thanksgiving road trip to my husband's parent's house in Southern California - the 'break in' drive. Had fluid levels checked...

What oil should I be running? Owner's manual isn't specific - just says 5w-40 only... do you concur? My plan is a full synthetic.

I run the 0w40 Mobil 1 in both my Audis...yes, everyone will say definitely full sythetic for these motors.

Sorry 'maam' , I called you 'man' !
    SOLD ! 2003 RS6 Mugello/Silver -MTM
    2001 allroad 6-speed (300K+), 1992 Mercedes-Benz 500E, 2007 Mercedes-Benz CLK63, 2010 BMW X3, 1986 16V Scirocco, 2005 Mercedes E55 Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by PixieVC View Post
    DRC was replaced under warranty at 75k miles... rides very very well now. My mechanic identified a leak in one of the front struts... I'm deferring the repair for now as there's no noticeable ride quality issue yet, so I am not worried about it.

Taking the car on a thanksgiving road trip to my husband's parent's house in Southern California - the 'break in' drive. Had fluid levels checked...

What oil should I be running? Owner's manual isn't specific - just says 5w-40 only... do you concur? My plan is a full synthetic.
    The leak is just the beginning and as a new owner, the car probably feels amazing!
    The tell-tale sign of the DRC failure, aside from the leak, is the thunk in the trunk.

Were abouts in So Cal?

Full Synthetic and it has to have the 505-11 rating (Peeps correct me if I am wrong on the 505 number)
    The oil is very specific and, of course, not cheap.

I'm pretty sure it's 501.01, there is an insert in the owners manual, lots of warnings too. Bought the oil through an Audi dealer, forget brand, 4 quart jug, silver, german writing all over it, must be good.

And welcome, nice car! Interesting to see it de-badged. Do a search on here for LED tails and you'll see a few options people have used. I'll put mine in when I get time and post pics. Orange tuning in germany has a good selection...
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    And welcome, nice car! Interesting to see it de-badged. .
    Thank you! I got it debaged. I prefer it that way, too - cherry on top. I don't want to advertise what's under the hood with a little bit of plastic. I'd rather the exhaust note do the talking...

I'm content with people thinking it's a pedestrian A6. Only an enthusiast will spot it now...