Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lower control arm removal problem :(

Exclamation Lower control arm removal problem :(

Hi

I am in process or control arm replacement but I'm stuck and don't wknow how to proceed with my problem...

Can You have a look ?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bolt..jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	109.9 KB 
ID:	11938

Do You have any idea how to remove this bolt ? It's quite long and it's currently blocked by chassis (frame).

Please help, I'm on jackstands

doesnt sub frame drop? that bolt facing to floor, if u loosen that doesnt linkage drop? then u would be able to move bolt out.
    Ebony/Black, DBR Stage 3 race kit, -SOLD :( 996TT Proto 650 basically a sardine can with a rocket attached to the back...11' CTS-V, 540/579RWP hehehehe ;)

Quote Originally Posted by speedtrapped View Post
    doesnt sub frame drop? that bolt facing to floor, if u loosen that doesnt linkage drop? then u would be able to move bolt out.
    I've been thinking about that but is it safe ? I don't want to drop engine on the floor Should I jack it before I loosen the bolt ? How long is this bolt ?

u def need someone who has removed that bolt to chime in....I have seen my mechanic do it, on a lift, I do NOT think u need to support it, IIRC...But please wait till someone who has chimes in.
    Ebony/Black, DBR Stage 3 race kit, -SOLD :( 996TT Proto 650 basically a sardine can with a rocket attached to the back...11' CTS-V, 540/579RWP hehehehe ;)

You can lower the rear of the subframe. I've done it. Your engine and trans will not drop to the ground. That being said, you should still have your floor jack under the engine/trans to control the amount of descent.
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

Quote Originally Posted by JSRS6 View Post
    You can lower the rear of the subframe. I've done it. Your engine and trans will not drop to the ground. That being said, you should still have your floor jack under the engine/trans to control the amount of descent.
    Yep, done this before as well. Those bolts come out then let it down easy with jack under engine\trans.

Cool, thanks guys. Gonna try this tommorow

LOL at the pic szymek. Nice! Had to do this too. As the guys said above, lower cradle, but use a jack. Safety first.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

As everyone said but here is the caviot. Audi say that the 4 subframe mounting bolts are stretch bolts and should be replaced once you loosen them. With that said I had loosened mine twice and reused them in the past although this time I replaced all 4 while my engine/tranny was out. I would reuse them in your case. Just loosen them and drop the rear of the subframe enough to get the A-Arm bolts out but don't remove the subframe bolts all the way.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

I have done this.. you need to drop the subframe.. annoying design! I had a really long jack that goes up 6 feet, and was on a lift.
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..
    "Some people play hard to get... I play hard to want."

Thank You for all the replies. I still need help with frame lowering procedure I don't know how to do it.

I just loosen bolts #2 & #5 (only on one side !!). It was no-go. Should I go for #3 as well when doing one side ? (I didn't know about bolt #3 in my garage so that can be the problem of non-lowering subframe). What say You ?

Name:	Capture..JPG 
Views:	160 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	11958

Remove #1 and loosen #2 don't touch #3 and the rubber mounts will have enough play where you won't even need to loosen #5. You only need to lower the rear of the subframe about 1/2~1" to get the A-Arm bolts out.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Quote Originally Posted by hahnmgh63 View Post
    Remove #1 and loosen #2 don't touch #3 and the rubber mounts will have enough play where you won't even need to loosen #5. You only need to lower the rear of the subframe about 1/2~1" to get the A-Arm bolts out.
    I did that only to #2 only on ONE side. I assume that was the problem and the subframe itself was held by the other #2.

Thanks, will try tommorow

Lowered, removed, replaced lower arms

Unfortunately the old passenger side lower arm is stuck in the wheel bearing housing. Darn.

Even this tool didn't help. Need to sleep it over

Name:	DSC00516..JPG 
Views:	138 
Size:	71.8 KB 
ID:	11970

Try a pickle fork. Worked for me, had the same issue when I changed mine out.
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

250$ for 2,5hrs aligment at the dealer. What are the US prices ?

An ordinary shop (although a branded one) wanted just 50$ but they realised that they didn't have tools to set the front camber

its expensive. I can get my car corner-balanced and aligned for that amount..
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..
    "Some people play hard to get... I play hard to want."

Had it done for $89 at a non audi dealership.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats