Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Front License Plate Idea DIY

Pictures Front License Plate Idea DIY

So it was inevitable, I was stopped by one of the many great MN state troopers for not having a front plate. In MN it is law to have one, and I have eluded the law for over 2 years. I started a shopping adventure to find the right solution that I could remove if wanted.

So I bought a manually retractable plate holder that I had high hopes of mounting in the lower grill and cutting a slot in the grill to allow it to slide out. Well, after doing some mock-ups, I realized that wasn't going to work well without significant modification. ..........So I bought magnets!

I applied gorilla super glue to a few "super" magnets and finagled them under the bumper cover. I slide them up to the desired position using another magnet on the outside of the bumper.

I let them sit for a while and take a plate bracket I had from the retractable idea, then just applied more glue to the exterior magnet, and held the plate bracket on for a while until it stuck.

With plate:

And Without:

Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

Nicely done, these neodymium magnets are very strong

PS. RS6 C6 rims ? 19" ?

Quote Originally Posted by SzymekCRX View Post
    Nicely done, these neodymium magnets are very strong

PS. RS6 C6 rims ? 19" ?
    Yep, on the magnets and the rims
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

Is that for putting around town? Cuz I would think at triple digits, it wouldn't hold for squat... just sayin'
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Ben, you'd be surprised how strong these magnets are. I did the same mod (except I used 4 stacks of magnets instead of the 3 in this thread) and the license plate has survived many high speed runs as well as potholes and other jarring bumps.

Quote Originally Posted by ben916 View Post
    Is that for putting around town? Cuz I would think at triple digits, it wouldn't hold for squat... just sayin'
    ya, they don't look like much, but they are tough. After the glue dried, I took a run to test it. 125 mph and it held great

At some point I just got tired of taking it off and putting it back on. So now it stays on all the time.
    But I like your idea. Great work.

Any more info on the wheels you can share, or pix?
    I'd love to get something new for my Winter setup, and yours look great.

thats very nice.

I am having trouble seeing where the magnets are. I cannot see them on the Without picture. Could you post another picture?

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
    thats very nice.

I am having trouble seeing where the magnets are. I cannot see them on the Without picture. Could you post another picture?

Mike
    I think they are on the licence plates and the inside of the bumper...

Yes, they are strong enough to hold through the bumper plastic. Nothing visible when plate is off.

Kyle, what tires are on your car in these pics? In your other thread with the cracked 19" rim, you have supersports on, but not here...?
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

Mike, as The RS6 said, the magnet are on the inside of the bumper cover. Nothing visible from outside. In the 3rd pic it shows the outer magnets that are just holding the inside ones in place while the glue dries on those inside ones.

Josh, they are the old Pilot Sports - in both threads. Supersports will be next though.

Nene, here's a couple shots of the wheels from this summer. They are Hartmann c6 rs6 wheels. 19x8.5 et25. I like them a lot, and feel it really updates the car. I just put on my stock wheels for winter and it just seems bland.

you using any spacers? they look sweet!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4everRS View Post
    ya, they don't look like much, but they are tough. After the glue dried, I took a run to test it. 125 mph and it held great
    CRAZY!!!! That is really clean!
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Awesome looking car, but is it me or does the back bumper look a different shade in the last picture?
    Current: V10 RS 6 Saloon, 420mm Ceramics, MRC, Milltek, MTM bits, Audi exclusive bits - 757BHP/967NM
    Past: V8 RS 6 plus, Sprint Blue, 126 of 999

Those rims are so hot!!!!!!! Amazing look!

< yes, i have the same >
    SOLD - 2003 RS6 Black on Black / SE / Solar / Carbon / APR ECU + TCU / Wagner Intercoolers / Fog light delete / RNS-E / LED tails / Clear Corners / Sportek Cooling / itg filters /

Quote Originally Posted by twinsteve View Post
    you using any spacers? they look sweet!!
    No spacers. Hartmann has 2 options for offset, 25 and 38. Our stock offset is something like 32 I think. So the 25 offset would be like using 7mm spacers - built in. As I said I just put on the stock wheel with snow tires and you can really tell they sit in the fender more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Amar View Post
    Awesome looking car, but is it me or does the back bumper look a different shade in the last picture?
    You're right, it sure looks like a different shade. Maybe the lighting. When I bought it there were no accidents in it's history report, and prior owner said that he never had anything repainted - and neither have I.