Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Front License Plate Idea DIY

Nice solution!

So, did you get fined? As an equipment violation, I presume (so no points or anything other than $$$)?

If/when I get cited, I plan to divide the dollar amount by the amount of time I got away with it, and then reason to myself that it's just my personal "front plate tax" and drive on! Anything more than a little fine, though, and I'd hafta rethink that...

I like your style spidercat. Good economics right there. Or whatever it is.

No, I didnt get a ticket. He asked me if I'd been warned about before. I told him 'no' and he went back to his car. Turns out I was warned before,... Oops. And on top of that, I was warned by his WIFE. Well, when she warned me I got a speeding ticket at the same time, and really did completely disregard the mention of a front plate. I manage her parents money (I'm a financial advisor) and she told her Hubble to let me go with a warning.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

I chose the state I registered my car in (Michigan), due to several key factors:
    - no annual car tax
    - no emissions testing
    - no real restrictions on window tin
    - NO FRONT PLATE!!
    Das Silberkugel - Eurocharged Stage 2/MTM/Level 10/Hotchkis/Koni/H&R
    2015 Ducati 1299S Panigale
    2014 Ducati Multistrada Granturismo

Lots of Audi's the bumpers are a little off in color with the plastic. Mine was even though not damaged as well. I do the magnet thing on my TT but with a few more...fully tested beyond 125. They are REALLY strong. I tried the retractable mount also and came to the same conclusion on my RS6 as was too low to work under the front lip and no way to work higher. I ended up rigging the mounting plate of the retractable unit by bending back a piece of metal in the center of it into a hook and it fit perfectly through the grill diamonds so when i parked i just hooked it through the lower grill in the center. Was in enough to let it stay put on the road.
    2012 R8 GT #275 Suzuka, 2014 RS7 Suzuka/Lunar Silver, 2013 RS5 Suzuka/Lunar Silver
    2000 Audi TT Neiman Marcus Edition #47, 1960 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible
    Past...03 RS6, 10 S5 Cabriolet, 00 NMTT #25, 94 Audi Cabriolet

Thanks for reminding me of this thread.

The magnets continue to hold strong. I've had the beast over 140 with it on.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

Quote Originally Posted by 4everRS View Post
    Nene, here's a couple shots of the wheels from this summer. They are Hartmann c6 rs6 wheels. 19x8.5 et25. I like them a lot, and feel it really updates the car. I just put on my stock wheels for winter and it just seems bland.

These wheels are classy and sporty. And classy. And sporty. The fact that they are the next gen RS6 wheel cements the deal. This is what I will be putting on my car. Funny, I could ride my bike to Achtuning in about 18 minutes.

Thanks for the pics!
    Daytona/Ebony/Carbon/SEE/RNS-E/19X9 Speedline "Peelers"

Thanks. I like them. However it will be pretty hard to get the wheels back home on your bike!

Thanks. I like them. However it will be pretty hard to get the wheels back home on your bike!
    My mountain bike (old Aluminum Trek 7000, also known as "Truk"), has a plastic Coca-Cola crate strapped to the aluminum frame carrier in the back. Would easily hold one box, maybe two if I am ambitious.

I could use the exercise!

Thanks for reminding me of this thread.

The magnets continue to hold strong. I've had the beast over 140 with it on.
    Easy to do in MN! So flat and so straight! I was driving the fam in a rented Crown Vic from Minneapolis to Crookston and I could see the next four towns by their grain elevators. I slooooowly accelerated to about 90 before my wife realized I was going kinda fast.

That could never happen here in Westbumpyland where continents collide.

do you use spacers at all with your Hartmann's?

I live a ways north of Minneapolis. More elevation, and trees, and turns in the roads. Minnie to crookston would be a boring drive.

No spacers on the Hartmanns. I bought the 25 offset.

I live a ways north of Minneapolis. More elevation, and trees, and turns in the roads. Minnie to crookston would be a boring drive.

No spacers on the Hartmanns. I bought the 25 offset.
    I was in Minneapolis at Halloween, visiting my uncle - he lives on W Cedar Lk Pkwy. We went downtown to look at the college students get wasted in their costumes. The place was rippin'!

BTW - My uncle is 76!

Love that idea! We have the same law in Utah, So I'll have to do something similar.....eventually.

Love that idea! We have the same law in Utah, So I'll have to do something similar.....eventually. Shouldn't be too much force there, right at the stagnation point of the air moving around the car.

4everRS,

I know I will have the same problem here in Eewtah eventually. What size were the magnets inside the bumper and how many did you stack? I found some but they were 10mm and didn't seem strong enough. 20 mm work? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 905084 View Post
    4everRS,

I know I will have the same problem here in Eewtah eventually. What size were the magnets inside the bumper and how many did you stack? I found some but they were 10mm and didn't seem strong enough. 20 mm work? Thanks
    They are not regular magnets. They are neodymium magnets. Some hardware stores have them. They may be packaged as "super magnets". They are small. I don't remember the size but not bigger that 1". They have a chrome finish. I used 3 behind the bumper, 3 glued onto the plate holder. So these are not only holding the plate, but a plastic plate holder as well. I been over 160 mph with it on.

Thanks, sounds like 20mm. The 10mm ones I saw were a little small. Save me the extra cost of no front plate when I get my first ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by 905084 View Post
    Thanks, sounds like 20mm. The 10mm ones I saw were a little small. Save me the extra cost of no front plate when I get my first ticket.
    Ya. Sorry. Read your previous post a little too quick. they are much closer to 20mm than 10.