Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RS6 fog lights. Is there an upgrade?

Absolutely. Has been legislated as such for almost a quarter century - since 1991...
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Quote Originally Posted by Bigglezworth View Post
    Absolutely. Has been legislated as such for almost a quarter century - since 1991...
    So you have a lot of people driving around at night....with no tail lights, because they think their headlights are on....that's what I have seen from DRL....

Quote Originally Posted by 905084 View Post
    So you have a lot of people driving around at night....with no tail lights, because they think their headlights are on....that's what I have seen from DRL....
    Nope. Inacurate statement. Canadian issue vehicles have DRL's and auto lights so that as night comes, the tail lights and dash lights turn on automatically. Never worry about turning lights on - or off. We don't have those stupid warning chimes that tell you your lights are on.... Can't for the life of me figure out why the US is so hell bent on not adopting such a simple piece of technology. The only time you see someone driving without tail lights here is when it's a vehicle imported from the US and the driver has forgotten to manually turn their lights on. There was a bit of outcry when DRL's first were mandated back a couple of deacades ago, but that has long since passed.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Umm, you can have HID's for the DRL's in Canada, my 2003 Passat W8 uses the HID's for the running lights. No fog lights.

Nope. Inacurate statement. Canadian issue vehicles have DRL's and auto lights so that as night comes, the tail lights and dash lights turn on automatically. Never worry about turning lights on - or off. We don't have those stupid warning chimes that tell you your lights are on.... Can't for the life of me figure out why the US is so hell bent on not adopting such a simple piece of technology. The only time you see someone driving without tail lights here is when it's a vehicle imported from the US and the driver has forgotten to manually turn their lights on. There was a bit of outcry when DRL's first were mandated back a couple of deacades ago, but that has long since passed.

Bigglezworth thanks for your earlier post about swapping the fogs and high beams for LED's those look nice any links to where to buy the correct fit? Also were they difficult to swap out?

I think your most recent post has me totally confused because I have a canadian car, it appears that only the corner lights are used as DRL's when I have the headlamps in the off position these corner lamps are the only ones that stay lit. When I turn the low beam lights on during the day I find that as you mention nothing buzzes to remind me that I've left them on after turning the car off. Several times my neighbor has called to alert me that I've left the lights on because of the absence of the buzzer feature, I would like to know how to override the Canadian DRL's and bring my car to american spec since i live in the states.

I also desire an american Dash speedo with MPH instead of KM anyone want to trade??
    Current: Black Pearl Metallic Effect/Ebony, RNS-E, Euro + pedals, oCarbon, Hotchkiss Front & Rear Sway Bars, Koni Yellow's

Quote Originally Posted by nistah View Post
    Bigglezworth thanks for your earlier post about swapping the fogs and high beams for LED's those look nice any links to where to buy the correct fit? Also were they difficult to swap out?

I think your most recent post has me totally confused because I have a canadian car, it appears that only the corner lights are used as DRL's when I have the headlamps in the off position these corner lamps are the only ones that stay lit. When I turn the low beam lights on during the day I find that as you mention nothing buzzes to remind me that I've left them on after turning the car off. Several times my neighbor has called to alert me that I've left the lights on because of the absence of the buzzer feature, I would like to know how to override the Canadian DRL's and bring my car to american spec since i live in the states.

I also desire an american Dash speedo with MPH instead of KM anyone want to trade??
    I purchased a host of LED's for all my cars direct from China. lol The H7 units were $25/pair shipped. Product appears robust and has worked fine.

Your fogs should operate as the DRL's - not just the amber signal lights which I think you're referring to. I suggest you check your owners manual (guessing it's different for your specific car given that it was an '04 released outside of the US). There should be some indication on how the 'auto lighting' works. You should be able to have the switch set to auto position which tells the car to put the DRL's on during the daylight hours, turn on dash and tail lights when the light level sensor confirms available light, and controls turning off the lights when the ignition has been turned off, or the parking brake applied. Some cars have a safety feature that leaves the lights on for a couple of minutes after you turn the ignition off and exit your car to provide additional lighting around the vehicle while you leave - same feature that provides lighting around the vehicle when you disarm your alarm. Dark parkades, side streets, parking lots, etc., where security is a concern well benefit from this feature. If you young at heart and making out in the car with your favorite gal, you would want to pull the parking brake which kills the DRL's and headlights while in a parked condition.

As for overriding the DRL safety feature, you 'might' be able to do something in VAGCOM. OR - possible switch out the light switch. We can talk more via PM.

I like that idea......seen a lot of people driving with no lights whatsoever....

I purchased a host of LED's for all my cars direct from China. lol The H7 units were $25/pair shipped. Product appears robust and has worked fine.

Your fogs should operate as the DRL's - not just the amber signal lights which I think you're referring to. I suggest you check your owners manual (guessing it's different for your specific car given that it was an '04 released outside of the US). There should be some indication on how the 'auto lighting' works. You should be able to have the switch set to auto position which tells the car to put the DRL's on during the daylight hours, turn on dash and tail lights when the light level sensor confirms available light, and controls turning off the lights when the ignition has been turned off, or the parking brake applied. Some cars have a safety feature that leaves the lights on for a couple of minutes after you turn the ignition off and exit your car to provide additional lighting around the vehicle while you leave - same feature that provides lighting around the vehicle when you disarm your alarm. Dark parkades, side streets, parking lots, etc., where security is a concern well benefit from this feature. If you young at heart and making out in the car with your favorite gal, you would want to pull the parking brake which kills the DRL's and headlights while in a parked condition.

As for overriding the DRL safety feature, you 'might' be able to do something in VAGCOM. OR - possible switch out the light switch. We can talk more via PM.

Thank you sir!
    Current: Black Pearl Metallic Effect/Ebony, RNS-E, Euro + pedals, oCarbon, Hotchkiss Front & Rear Sway Bars, Koni Yellow's