Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RS6 fog lights. Is there an upgrade?

RS6 fog lights. Is there an upgrade?

Are there any members here, who have upgraded there fog lights?.........either switched them out totally, or ran some sort of HID kit to generate more light output? I'm not really looking for pretty colored bulbs; I want to cast more light on the roadway, as I drive at night alot. Any suggestions?

Good idea !!

I upgraded my allroads fogs to higher output H7s...I'm sure a better bulb in the stock RS6 housing can make a bit of a difference. I also polished the RS6s sand-blasted lens...that made a noticeable difference for me.

There's got to be an application to retro-fit an HID in there too. Prolly the newer Audi model foglights guts can be made to work(?). Can't see why not. Maybe I'll pop off a grill on a newer S4 that's on my friend's lot and see what's up with it all.
    SOLD ! 2003 RS6 Mugello/Silver -MTM
    2001 allroad 6-speed (300K+), 1992 Mercedes-Benz 500E, 2007 Mercedes-Benz CLK63, 2010 BMW X3, 1986 16V Scirocco, 2005 Mercedes E55 Wagon

Elevens converted his fogs to HID. He had to build a larger back onto the housing, right elevens?

One thing to look out for is creating more heat than the housing can handle, as I discovered in the past through melting my housings when running 100w bulbs in them.

Hmmmmm.....maybe instead of creating more heat than the housing was built for, just swap out the entire fog light unit, to something of similar size.......something that was built for off-road use; or something that was built specifically for HID use..........thoughts?

Paging Elevens!

Fog lights aren't really meant to broadcast a large or deeper light are they? Aren't they just meant to be lower for foggy days? Your better bet is to see if there is a swap for the main HID's. I've recently switched from an 2005 A6 to my RS6 and the lights on the A6 were many times better. They shone much further up the road and were significantly brighter. With that being said, the high beam light output on the RS6 is excellent so long as you don't have much traffic coming the other way.
    Last edited by bakes; November 3rd, 2011 at 18:01. Reason: spelling
    ECU/TCU chip, Euro Recaro's, KW 3's, Wagners, Venair hoses, Dahlback diverters, Hotchkis sways, Phaeton ducts, lower spoilers, custom vent's in hood

I use my Fogs as DRL's (Daytime Running Lights). I did the Fog light Mod (Fogs running without the Headlights on). And then I upgraded to HID's because the Yellowish light from the stock bulbs looked ridiculous compared the white light from the Standard HID Headlights. The HID upgrade was not easy. As the whole Fog light housing had to be Modified. I really did not Document the Procedure, which I regret because I can't remember exactly how I did it. I do remember that I had to modify the Bulb holder to accommodate the Larger HID H7 bulb using PVC piping from Home Depot. I then mounted the Small Ballasts in the Intercooler ducting and performed the necessary wiring. If I ever remove them change a bulb, I'll make note of exactly how I did the Mod........................

03 RS6, VIPER ECU, MTM TCU, Milltek Full Catless Non Res setup from Turbos to the boxes(ROAR'S), H&R Coilovers, Hotchkiss ARB's, 19x10's with 275-30-19 PSS's at each corner, Kenwood 9960 Head unit, V1 Radar Locator. 517 Trans Rebuild, ScrollProducts Turbo Rebuild.

I too installed HIDs for my fog lights. I'm using yellow. I don't recall the installation being as difficult as Eleven said.

I've thought about doing HIDs but if it's going to be a pain...

I do have a pair of H7 LED bulbs. Might try those out; just hope it doesn't trip a code as they likely draw less voltage. Just getting the colors to match will be good enough for me.
    Das Silberkugel - Eurocharged Stage 2/MTM/Level 10/Hotchkis/Koni/H&R
    2015 Ducati 1299S Panigale
    2014 Ducati Multistrada Granturismo

Resurfacing an ancient thread. Any updates on specific kits or part #'s for a clean plug n play HID/Xenon upgrade. Thanks in advance!
    Current: Black Pearl Metallic Effect/Ebony, RNS-E, Euro + pedals, oCarbon, Hotchkiss Front & Rear Sway Bars, Koni Yellow's

All Audi's in Canada have for years used the fogs as DRL's. I just swaped out the tired H7 halogens in the fogs and the high beams with some high wattage LED's. They are bright white (whiter than the HID's which now look a tad yellow) and project well IMO.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	#T221B_20130716081629640.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	78.9 KB 
ID:	14434Click image for larger version. 

Name:	#T221B_20130716081630171.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	47.4 KB 
ID:	14435Click image for larger version. 

Name:	#T221B_20130716081813546.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	14436
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	62.1 KB 
ID:	14431Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	14432Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	14433
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Too bad Skribe and Elevens don't post anymore, those fellas had it together and nice rides...
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

I upgraded mine by deletion with the Wags.....

See post #6.

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    Too bad Skribe and Elevens don't post anymore, those fellas had it together and nice rides...
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    those fellas had it together...
    Hey....what about the rest of us?? lol
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

I agree that it is better to just upgrade by removing the fogs to get better airflow over the Intercoolers, and even better to go with Wagners over stock Intercoolers.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Quote Originally Posted by hahnmgh63 View Post
    I agree that it is better to just upgrade by removing the fogs to get better airflow over the Intercoolers, and even better to go with Wagners over stock Intercoolers.
    Can't do this in Canada as the Xenon's are permissible for Daytime Running Lights and the fogs are used instead to meet regulation.

Quote Originally Posted by hahnmgh63 View Post
    Told my wife that mine with the Wags is faster than hers without......gonna be a cold night.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigglezworth View Post
    Can't do this in Canada as the Xenon's are permissible for Daytime Running Lights and the fogs are used instead to meet regulation.
    So Daytime running lights are required north of the 49?