Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY: valve cover gasket replacement, cam tensioner gasket

I've just got back from my test ride. I'm going to explain it tommorow

I hope with logs..
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..
    "Some people play hard to get... I play hard to want."

Quote Originally Posted by Brav View Post
    I hope with logs..
    Sorry Brav I didn't forget about You but we have a shitty wet weather and I cannot do any major WOT test now

PCV circuit diagram

Quote Originally Posted by Brav View Post
    Hey I was right there with ya.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture..JPG 
Views:	260 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	11879

This is what I've managed to draw during my lunchbreak.

Basically what we have here is pure PCV circuit consisting of two PRV (pressure regulating valves) and bleeder valve itself (called PCV valve in general !).

The bleeder valve is a one way valve so during boost it is sealed by the IM pressure and blowby gasses are driven back to the intake (right after MAFs but before turbines).

So, I am going to tackle the dreaded passanger side(drivers as well) VC removal and swap. When I was having my engines swapped, I had my mechanic send out the VC for PC. There was confusion, and painter painted bright red(Honda) hi temp. I was too impatient to wait, and they were installed. After Stephens loss, I p/u the proper Audi Red PC VC's from Dion, they are gorgeaus. I have new seals, waiting on new plugs(all the trouble last month with rich/lean, leaking injectors) and need to pu some black RTV. I will take plenty of pics on both sides.
    Ebony/Black, DBR Stage 3 race kit, -SOLD :( 996TT Proto 650 basically a sardine can with a rocket attached to the back...11' CTS-V, 540/579RWP hehehehe ;)

good luck and take pics for us! I will be doing it sooner than later.
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..
    "Some people play hard to get... I play hard to want."

Swapped the VC on driver side last night. The PC version looks awesome...Took about an hour, i changed plugs as well.
    The passenger side is def more complicated, I started but I have about 1-2 hours more. I only took a pic of driver side done(its very easy) and passengerside started-I will take pics of this side.
    2 questions, the metal tube that runs 90 degrees across VC, is that a pcv line as well? And do I need to seperate the the rubber coolant line from the metal pipe, in order to tweak it away from the VC?(aside from remove the bolts that hold the pipe into the head)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vc..jpg 
Views:	383 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	11924   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vc2..jpg 
Views:	349 
Size:	42.3 KB 
ID:	11925  
    Ebony/Black, DBR Stage 3 race kit, -SOLD :( 996TT Proto 650 basically a sardine can with a rocket attached to the back...11' CTS-V, 540/579RWP hehehehe ;)

Quote Originally Posted by speedtrapped View Post
    Swapped the VC on driver side last night. The PC version looks awesome...Took about an hour, i changed plugs as well.
    The passenger side is def more complicated, I started but I have about 1-2 hours more. I only took a pic of driver side done(its very easy) and passengerside started-I will take pics of this side.
    2 questions, the metal tube that runs 90 degrees across VC, is that a pcv line as well? And do I need to seperate the the rubber coolant line from the metal pipe, in order to tweak it away from the VC?(aside from remove the bolts that hold the pipe into the head)
    They're just PCV lines that go directly to the intake (these metal pipes are screwed to the intake - left & right just after MAFs). You can play with them - just make sure they're tight and sealed

how about coolant pipe, cold engine, remove rubber hose connection? If so i assume I will lose some coolant. stupid engineering design.

how about coolant pipe, cold engine, remove rubber hose connection? If so i assume I will lose some coolant. stupid engineering design.
    Well, not so stupid The cooling system has to be flooded to prevent any air inside it. If You want to do it the clean way just empty the cooland using the radiator dump valve/screw, mess with these lines that You want to change and fill the system again. What do You want to do with that line ? It looks that everything is on place in Your picture.

the second pic sans coil packs, is the yet to be removed old passenger side VC(the colors look similiar, but are slightly diff and the new VC are PC) I still have to manipulate the PCV lines out, and Josh just told me, removing the the 2 hex bolts that hold coolant pipe doesnt have to be taken apart, just pried away carefully to get the VC on and off. and I have to figure a way to get the 1 bolt removed on the SAI and one loosened so I can rotate the SAI out of the way....once thats done, easy peasy...I hope

As SzymekCRX said those are just Crankcase ventilation pipes (inline in each of those pipes is where I have my Catch cans). They are not pressurized (well, sometimes just a little above ambient but not boosted) pipes so they don't have to have a super tight seal as a boost pipe.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

I still have yet to add my catch cans, buy my PCV lines are clean....off topic, I had driverside pancake valve assembly removed, I could blow thru both sides??? is it shot? or does the valve work when there is a vacuum present

Quote Originally Posted by hahnmgh63 View Post
    As SzymekCRX said those are just Crankcase ventilation pipes (inline in each of those pipes is where I have my Catch cans). They are not pressurized (well, sometimes just a little above ambient but not boosted) pipes so they don't have to have a super tight seal as a boost pipe.
    Exactly - no boost, because they're connectd right BEFORE the turbo

I still have yet to add my catch cans, buy my PCV lines are clean....off topic, I had driverside pancake valve assembly removed, I could blow thru both sides??? is it shot? or does the valve work when there is a vacuum present
    Yes, they're 'suckable' and 'blowable' in both directions. However to properly test them just block one side with your palm and suck You should hear the diaphragm click.

lol.....cue the...nevermind, ok I will try that out.

You can consider them OK when You can let air trough them and they hold pressure when You clog one side and blow.

hehehe
    lol.....cue the...nevermind, ok I will try that out.
    Regarding the VC removal on the pass side, I remember yokust saying that the coolant pipe needs to be "flexed" out of the way to slide the cover out. Like Josh said, I don't remember anything about the screws needing to be removed.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats