Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: DIY: valve cover gasket replacement, cam tensioner gasket

If I remember right, it needs to be flexed out an inch or so. It was slightly more than I could do with my hands, so I used a breaker bar inserted into the front opening of the coolant pipe. That gave me the leverage to flex it just enough to get the valve cover off and back on again.

This was with the coolant pipe side bolt removed and the rear bolt still installed.

Later, when I had the engine out for my six speed conversion, I removed the coolant pipe completely to replace the seals. Having done that with the engine out, I’m glad I didn’t fully remove it to remove the valve covers. It would be very difficult to reinstall with the engine still in the car.
    RS6 #1, 01E, 2.5" straight pipes, AMD Stage 1 6MT tune, 460awhp/530awtq on AMD's Mustang dyno. TOTALLED.. RS6 #2, Ebony Black Pearl on black/silver combination with carbon, up and running with 6 gears and AMD tune.

I am assuming that you are talking about the black plastic coolant pipe that runs under the valve cover on the right side. If so, yes you just need to remove the front bolt and you only need to flex it back about an inch or so with you hand and the valve cover will slide up and past it. I just did this about a month ago. As I mentioned also, I loosened the bolts holding the combi valve to make it easier to have more room to get the valve cover off

The Coolant line on the right side is definitely metal and not too flexible.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

hahnmgh63 is correct it is metal, not plastic. The part number is 077121071bt. It pipe itself does not bend but it will flex away from the valve cover when he front bolt is removed and it is enough to get the valve cover off.

All,

I'm being told by my indy that to replace the valve cover gaskets, the "engine has to be dropped", because, "it's a V8." I simply can't believe that. WTF? Am I going crazy?

CW

Driver side is easy & straightforward.
    Passenger side is a bit tricky, but definitely doable.

Your mechanic just doesn't want to deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by nubcake View Post
    Driver side is easy & straightforward.
    Passenger side is a bit tricky, but definitely doable.

Your mechanic just doesn't want to deal with it.
    What Nubcake said - absolutely is doable...