Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The nine year itch

Ironically, a buddy of mine is looking at either an old 308 Ferarri or 348/355/360 - he said EXACTLY what the article stated - "I can pick one up for mid $20k to $30k" - I asked him what the point is? He stated that he always wanted one. I said to him - regardless of vehicle age of your purchase, you will still pay current Ferarri maintenance costs... The look was priceless...

I must add - there is nothing wrong with a Honda, but many generalize as to say that they are free from issues is not a true statement....... ever. The only way I would be a Honda guy is if the Accord was in addition to the RS6 in the stable, with an exception if it is an RC30 or RC45 or NR750.
    I chose to owner/drive/flog-when-ever-possible my RS6 as the fun-factor is very high. There are several other cars that might triumph the RS6 fun factor but they are considerably more $$$$$...

I don't know what I would replace it with if I had to...
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

So...

in summation, we're all fux0red.
    '97 993TT, '14 E63 S-line, '17 GT-R and a couple of '12 Mini Cooper S Countryman ALL4s for the kids.

I have to say I have my 98 Accord with 256k miles and still counting strong.. (knock on wood) So are they 100% problem free? NO!! but they are easy and cheap to fix if you do have any issues... But the best part is every1 has parts readily available. Now the excitement factor of driving it is not there whatsoever other than knowing it will make it to all of its intended points. I wouldnt drive my RS up to my second job for many reasons and that is why it sits home instead of going to both jobs with me. So as a "beater" it is the perfect car for me. And very comfy might I add. And just so were clear no matter how many problems my RS may give its still worth it and I wouldnt get rid of it for anything else..
    they call me Tank

my 2 cents - I still get thumbs up from other drivers in this car and it is 9 years old! And the smiles per mile... well that sums it up for me. I have looked at other cars - most recently was a 550 AWD version. Nice, but not as engaging.

It s a personal thing - if we were all about transportation devices I dont think we would be on this forum.

Having owned since new 7 1/2 years ago and now at 115K as a daily driver, and having pulled on an R8 a few months ago, still don't see any reason to give up the beast. The flip side of this discussion is why would I sell my car- Titanium wheels, APR chip and exhaust- for around $25k to turn around and get into...what? The GTR would be a possibility, and I've been in a CTS-V coupe (brute power, bet the wagon is great fun), but then we start the depreciation clock once again. Anything else close is >$100K, and with two more kids to get through college, that ain't gonna pass mustard with the home CFO. Our transmissions are touchy, the suspension can be changed, and parts are not cheap, but our engines are bulletproof. Aiming to hit 200K some day...

Yep, there is no hope for any of us
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

Had a Porsche Carrera GTS pull right alongside me last Friday in Chicago, and he wanted to race. Flattered that he thought I'd give him a good race, but the GTS is pretty quick, even if I am running over a hundred more horsepower. Mainly though, there was traffic and I don't trust the handling of the RS6 to be sharp enough to pull quick maneuvers if needed. Had I been in my Skyline I'd have stuffed it to him right then and there though.

But had I been in my Skyline, I'd have cramped my left leg from working the twin-plate racing clutch through the 90 minute traffic jam that soon followed. The RS6 has its mission and its place, and it does it admirably without sacrificing too much - true race car handling is all I can think of that I'm giving up, and the RS6 is, in the real world, no slouch in the handling department.
    Das Silberkugel - Eurocharged Stage 2/MTM/Level 10/Hotchkis/Koni/H&R
    2015 Ducati 1299S Panigale
    2014 Ducati Multistrada Granturismo

I have had to put very little money back in the rs/6 and have owned it for four years now. Bought the extended warranty and knock on wood have yet to have a claim. Invested 2k in the apr chipset, a couple of hundred in the aces iv and I have a rocket that goes 0-100 in under 9 seconds. It still is the least expensive way to get into the supercar set.

Quote Originally Posted by kismetcapitan View Post
    Had a Porsche Carrera GTS pull right alongside me last Friday in Chicago, and he wanted to race. Flattered that he thought I'd give him a good race, but the GTS is pretty quick, even if I am running over a hundred more horsepower. Mainly though, there was traffic and I don't trust the handling of the RS6 to be sharp enough to pull quick maneuvers if needed. Had I been in my Skyline I'd have stuffed it to him right then and there though.

But had I been in my Skyline, I'd have cramped my left leg from working the twin-plate racing clutch through the 90 minute traffic jam that soon followed. The RS6 has its mission and its place, and it does it admirably without sacrificing too much - true race car handling is all I can think of that I'm giving up, and the RS6 is, in the real world, no slouch in the handling department.
    Damn, I started reading that thinking there was gonna be a kill story in there. Boooo! J/k.
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

^^ I thought I was the only 1. LMAO ^^
    they call me Tank

Quote Originally Posted by vitalian View Post

I think the article is hilarious and well-written. But I gotta disagree, at least insofar as whether or not something is a "bad idea" is in the eye of the beholder.
    ^^^ This ^^^
    Hilarious article and true to a huge extent. But love is blind.
    Einstein once said, "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details."
    Ron Paul Fan

Quote Originally Posted by kismetcapitan View Post
    I don't trust the handling of the RS6 to be sharp enough to pull quick maneuvers if needed.
    Better safe then sorry when it comes to crashing and risking, but the RS6 excels in high speed slalom, one of the best at the time. Even compared vs. sportscars.
    (well, you better have a working DRC)
    RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

I have never had the front push on me, and that's with some autocross-style tests in large parking lots at night. This is quite to my surprise.

Other than a disapproving wife in the front seat (and having 10 hours behind the wheel already, which makes the risk about as great as having had a couple drinks - not ideal), I don't have enough experience piloting my RS6 in slalom maneuvers, and I knew that to keep up or make a pull past this GTS, I'd really have to have my game on and be able to maneuver past, as it wouldn't be just a straight line drag. Or maybe I was uncertain about the GTS badge and obvious aftermarket exhaust.

But having gotten the Eurocharged Stage 2 tune a couple days later, I think I'd have given it a go...would be worth a week sleeping on the living room sofa to see if I could outpull a GTS from around 55mph-ish
    Das Silberkugel - Eurocharged Stage 2/MTM/Level 10/Hotchkis/Koni/H&R
    2015 Ducati 1299S Panigale
    2014 Ducati Multistrada Granturismo

Quote Originally Posted by 4everRS View Post
    Owning an RS6 is like having a really hot wife. Everyone wants to check it out, gaze at it's unique features, look under the hood, and maybe even take it for a ride, .. but if they knew how much it costs to maintain, both in money and emotion, they might think again.

In all seriousness, what else is available at this price, including service costs.

A hot wife ...........I disagree I would love to find a hot husband/ toyboy but my 6 servicing/fuel schedule
    Won't allow me one!!!

Quote Originally Posted by amanda View Post
    A hot wife ...........I disagree I would love to find a hot husband/ toyboy but my 6 servicing/fuel schedule
    Won't allow me one!!!
    Amanda!! Where the hell have you been? Being laying Low lately, huh. How it that 700 ft-lb(900nm) monster doing? Nice of you to chime in from time to time............................
    03 RS6, VIPER ECU, MTM TCU, Milltek Full Catless Non Res setup from Turbos to the boxes(ROAR'S), H&R Coilovers, Hotchkiss ARB's, 19x10's with 275-30-19 PSS's at each corner, Kenwood 9960 Head unit, V1 Radar Locator. 517 Trans Rebuild, ScrollProducts Turbo Rebuild.

Haha. Sorry. Kinda one sided from my end. Well, unless you.... nevermind.
    Won't allow me one!!!
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

Quote Originally Posted by Elevens View Post
    Amanda!! Where the hell have you been? Being laying Low lately, huh. How it that 700 ft-lb(900nm) monster doing? Nice of you to chime in from time to time............................
    I have had trouble accessing here but it now seems to be sorted
    Ahhh my beastie .....well since the gearbox rebuild it seems everyones gearbox is failing apart from mine!!!! I have an ACE tc waiting to be fitted and my gearbox won't die! ( I also have up rated waste gates to be fitted at the same time) But will mine die? ...........Nope!!!!!

I have had trouble accessing here but it now seems to be sorted
    Ahhh my beastie .....well since the gearbox rebuild it seems everyones gearbox is failing apart from mine!!!! I have an ACE tc waiting to be fitted and my gearbox won't die! ( I also have up rated waste gates to be fitted at the same time) But will mine die? ...........Nope!!!!!

That's a good thing, I guess. At least you'll be ready when and If she does fail. A place called 517trans did mine. At first I thought I had issues, but apparently there's a break in period. She hooks up really nice now. Faster off the line and better fuel mileage (less slippage). Any way good to hear from you.....
    03 RS6, VIPER ECU, MTM TCU, Milltek Full Catless Non Res setup from Turbos to the boxes(ROAR'S), H&R Coilovers, Hotchkiss ARB's, 19x10's with 275-30-19 PSS's at each corner, Kenwood 9960 Head unit, V1 Radar Locator. 517 Trans Rebuild, ScrollProducts Turbo Rebuild.