Thread: Thermostat & Water Pump Replacement Cost

Mech Thermostat & Water Pump Replacement Cost

How much does this job typically cost? I called a Audi dealership in Tampa, and they quoted me $1,664 just to replace the thermostat. Does this sound reasonable? Anyone know of any good independent shops that work on Audi's in Tampa?

Due to everything that has to come off, it is a smart move to do the entire 35/75k service. Part of that service is replacing the wp, t-stat, but also does the timing belt and associated parts. Are you local to Tampa? Or visiting? If I were you, I would make the trip to usp, or hoppen.
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

As with any dealer repair, they will quote you the book price for insurance/ext warranty reasons.. The actual repair will not take as long or cost as much if you inform them this is coming out of pocket and not being picked up by a warranty or insurance company.
    Audi quoted me a $5,000 price for an engine repair under extended warranty. They said it would take 29 hrs . It took only about 7 hrs and cost $1800 when I told them I was paying out of pocket.
    Same as the Healthcare industry.. theres a real cost price and a padded get rich price. If you inform the dealer thats too much and you want to go get another opinion, many times they will magically produce a much cheaper quicker more realistic price.

I live in Tampa, I found an independent shop that will do both therm. & sp for $1000. The timing belt was changed 30,000 miles ago, mechanic said no need to replace it yet.

The t-belt should be replaced every 35k. If you are going to be pulling the engine why not kill two birds with one stone?
    ECU/TCU chip, Euro Recaro's, KW 3's, Wagners, Venair hoses, Dahlback diverters, Hotchkis sways, Phaeton ducts, lower spoilers, custom vent's in hood

+1- Entire TB service (belts, rollers, water pump, tstat, bolts, etc, etc) should be done every 30-35K. Make sure to replace all the the bolts while at it. Bad news if one of those bolts due to fatigure or being over torqued goes south (experience tells me so).
    210K miles rolled

Quote Originally Posted by bakes View Post
    The t-belt should be replaced every 35k. If you are going to be pulling the engine why not kill two birds with one stone?
    lock carrier is moved to service position only.
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

Quote Originally Posted by RJCane View Post
    I live in Tampa, I found an independent shop that will do both therm. & sp for $1000. The timing belt was changed 30,000 miles ago, mechanic said no need to replace it yet.

You'd be insane If you didn't do a complete Timing belt Job with the Front End apart. I know it cost a few dollars more, but Do It..............................
    03 RS6, VIPER ECU, MTM TCU, Milltek Full Catless Non Res setup from Turbos to the boxes(ROAR'S), H&R Coilovers, Hotchkiss ARB's, 19x10's with 275-30-19 PSS's at each corner, Kenwood 9960 Head unit, V1 Radar Locator. 517 Trans Rebuild, ScrollProducts Turbo Rebuild.

^^^ what he said!! ^^^
    they call me Tank