Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: OnStar Redlight

After many trips to the dealer and with many Audi Exec's I have found out what our problem is.

The OnStar unit as we all know contains a backup battery that is used just as that for back up in the case of an emergency and a disconnection of the battery. It is also used in the case of a drop in voltage. The point at which the back up batter is kicked in is at 8.3 volts. Every time there is a drop in voltage below that number the backup battery kicks in until the problem is fixed or it dies. In my case and probably 90% (safe number) of the cases what happens is the voltage dips below that only for a fraction of a second and the battery is never actually used but the computer things the battery is used therefore it takes away one of its lives. The backup battery has 5 lives or five times to switch on before it dies. What happens in this case is the battery actually does not die but it is though to have died therefore we get a "red light".
    What can be done is not to change the unit nor the battery but this timer that counts down the number of times it is switched to backup can be reset. It is that simple there is no leaving the car for days or even over night if you get in good with these guys they will probably allow you just to bring it back and the will do it while you stand there.

I hope all of this makes sense to everyone.

-Stuart
    (Returned) 2003 Mugello Blue RS6, Silver interior
    2005 Mallett CTS-V 007: long tube headers, race cam, exhaust, heads, intake, and suspension.
    2007 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited: 4.5 inch lift, 35 inch tires on 20's
    Wife's 2007 Chevrolet Suburban: 427, Corsa Exhaust

Talking Where is this timer

Sounds good, but where is the timer? I have an appointment to have my "fix", but doubt that the shop will know this info or about this timer you have discovered.

rob

Originally posted by sturs6
    After many trips to the dealer and with many Audi Exec's I have found out what our problem is.

The OnStar unit as we all know contains a backup battery that is used just as that for back up in the case of an emergency and a disconnection of the battery. It is also used in the case of a drop in voltage. The point at which the back up batter is kicked in is at 8.3 volts. Every time there is a drop in voltage below that number the backup battery kicks in until the problem is fixed or it dies. In my case and probably 90% (safe number) of the cases what happens is the voltage dips below that only for a fraction of a second and the battery is never actually used but the computer things the battery is used therefore it takes away one of its lives. The backup battery has 5 lives or five times to switch on before it dies. What happens in this case is the battery actually does not die but it is though to have died therefore we get a "red light".
    What can be done is not to change the unit nor the battery but this timer that counts down the number of times it is switched to backup can be reset. It is that simple there is no leaving the car for days or even over night if you get in good with these guys they will probably allow you just to bring it back and the will do it while you stand there.

I hope all of this makes sense to everyone.

-Stuart

So are they buying back your rs6? or no

93 RX-7
    2002 B6 A4 1.8T 6MT
    2002 B5 S4 2.7TT 6MT
    2003 C5 A6 2.7TT TIPTRONIC
    2003 G35 6MT
    2003 E46 M3 6MT
    2003 996TT 6MT X50
    2003 C5 RS6 Ebony Pearl/Silver Int.
    2003 2ND C5 RS6 Daytona Pearl/Ebony Int.
    2006 E46 BMW M3 SMG II

Current:
    2007 B7 S4 6MT w/ EVERY option
    2008 C350 with EVERY option
    BMW M6 SMG III w/ EVERY option

vehicle coming soon:
    2009 E93 M3 DCT

Originally posted by audirs6sport
    So are they buying back your rs6? or no

If I so choose.

The timer may come up on the VAG unit I am not positive I can talk to the tech and find out though.
    2005 Mallett CTS-V 007: long tube headers, race cam, exhaust, heads, intake, and suspension.

Re: OnStar redlight back on again <1month after fix

On a positive note, the red light does complement the rest of the instrumentation much better, maybe I'll reverse the LED when I finally do get it fixed so green = problem, red = normal [/B]
    I'm going to do this as well, on a dark freeway, the green light lights up the face of the front passengers. It is annoying as hell once you notice it.

Me too. I "HATE" that green led lighting source, coming from the OnStar. Can anyone help me get that red light??

93 RX-7
    2002 B6 A4 1.8T 6MT
    2002 B5 S4 2.7TT 6MT
    2003 C5 A6 2.7TT TIPTRONIC
    2003 G35 6MT
    2003 E46 M3 6MT
    2003 996TT 6MT X50
    2003 C5 RS6 Ebony Pearl/Silver Int.
    2003 2ND C5 RS6 Daytona Pearl/Ebony Int.
    2006 E46 BMW M3 SMG II

Current:
    2007 B7 S4 6MT w/ EVERY option
    2008 C350 with EVERY option
    BMW M6 SMG III w/ EVERY option

vehicle coming soon:
    2009 E93 M3 DCT

OnStar update

And now for something completely different...

My red light issue is solved (for now). Dealer says it was an antenna problem so they replaced the antenna and - tadaa! - green light. It will be interesting to see if this lasts...
    2010 XFR
    2004 RS6 (sold)
    2008 Exige S 240
    2009 V8 Vantage
    2008 X5 4.8i

Onstar went red for a second time

Just got my car back from the dealer with my Onstar "fixed" for a second time.

This time my work order says "checked on-star system, found battery lower limit exceeded. Checked measuring block values and found the emergency battery voltage to be ok 19.3v. Called tech line with findings, talked to Dan Henderson contact #DH2005011112 advised of findings, rec to replace the on-star control module. ...... called on-star and changed registration and configuration to the new module. All is working to all factory intent at this time"

The work order also says "rebuilt module"....hopefully not one of the ones pulled from one of the cars having this problem.

So how long will I stay green?

I'd give it two weeks to two months. At least that's been my experience over eight failures. Or is it nine? Honestly, I've lost count. Entire module has been replaced at least once, switch once or twice, battery replaced, battery reset or recharged....currently red & battery will be reset or recharged on my next visit for another purpose. Which isn't far away, with 35K mi service coming up within a month.

The good news is, my dealer says an entirely new unit, different brand I think, is on the way from Germany, due around March or so. On the other hand, my AOA owner advocate knew nothing about this. So I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I second Jacks statement 2 weeks to 2 months althought I did have one that only lasted one week.
    Good luck with it though. Maybe one day AOA will have a final fix. If I am not mistaken the Onstar does not come on the new Audi's does it?

OK, I'm probably jinxing myself for posting, but what the heck...

I had the red light problem for several months over the summer and into the fall. I then left the country for 4 weeks, whereupon the car sat idle. When I returned in late October, the light miraculously turned green and it has been green ever since. How the heck did it fix itself, especially if we are hypothesizing that the unit was draining the backup battery? That battery should have run dry in 4 weeks of inactivity. Now the light is green! Weird...

For what it's worth,
    Joe
    '01.5 Stg3 S4 (Dahlback Racing software)
    '01 X5 3.0
    '04 Mini Cooper

'03 RS 6 (Avus/Silver/NAV/Rear Side Airbags) --gone but not forgotten

Originally posted by JJV-MA
    OK, I'm probably jinxing myself for posting, but what the heck...

I had the red light problem for several months over the summer and into the fall. I then left the country for 4 weeks, whereupon the car sat idle. When I returned in late October, the light miraculously turned green and it has been green ever since. How the heck did it fix itself, especially if we are hypothesizing that the unit was draining the backup battery? That battery should have run dry in 4 weeks of inactivity. Now the light is green! Weird...

For what it's worth,
    Joe
    Wow, that IS a puzzle! You're saying that during the four weeks you were gone, no one started or drove your car? Did it start right up when you returned, or was the car battery dead?

OnStar Redlight

all
    Unlike JJV-MA, I also left my car garaged for six weeks Nov thru mid Dec, and still have a red light! Mine did not reset (but, car started fine with strong battery)? I've spoken to my dealer who said he's got three other beasts with the same problem and they hope to have some solution coming up in February? This supposed solution includes some entirely new system coming from Germany. In previous posts I've mentioned I'm on my 2nd full brand new system, at least four back up battery replacements and system resets. The last system install exhibited green for two months, then the b pillar pop/hiss started and the light has been red ever since!
    I still love this car though.

RS6
    Ps. Spoke to NAVTEQ in Chicago today who said new 10 set NAV CD set available end of January. $249.00

Originally posted by JAXRS6
    Wow, that IS a puzzle! You're saying that during the four weeks you were gone, no one started or drove your car? Did it start right up when you returned, or was the car battery dead?

Started right up. No issues. It didn't even have flat spots on the tires! I was very happy to say the least.
    '01.5 Stg3 S4 (Dahlback Racing software)
    '01 X5 3.0
    '04 Mini Cooper

'03 RS 6 (Avus/Silver/NAV/Rear Side Airbags) --gone but not forgotten

Has any dealer commented on weither this is only an RS6 problem or is it common to all 2003 A6 with Onstar????

Mike

Originally posted by Aronis
    Has any dealer commented on weither this is only an RS6 problem or is it common to all 2003 A6 with Onstar????

Mike
    RS6 only from my understanding and research. I think it is because the battery is in the trunk because it is a voltage drop that causes the computer to think that the battery is dead therefore it turns on the "back up OnStar battery". When this occurs five times your light turns to the pretty matching color red. Then you take it to the dealer and they change the battery and all that needs to really happen is for that timer that counts down from five needs to be reset.

Add my dads RS6 to the onstar red light victims list.

Probably not going to do anything about it since we never activated it.
    My car:
    2010 Subaru WRX STI Special Edition in WRB

Originally posted by Aronis

Mike
    well i dont think Audi offers onstar on any 05 vehicle, so its probably every audi that has a problem.
    My car:
    2010 Subaru WRX STI Special Edition in WRB