Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: OnStar Redlight

For all of you new "Redlight District Member" Please find the poll Thread and register your vote. I am enjoying the running total.
    Jack lets get that recall started...
    Poll Here
    (Returned) 2003 Mugello Blue RS6, Silver interior
    2005 Mallett CTS-V 007: long tube headers, race cam, exhaust, heads, intake, and suspension.
    2007 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited: 4.5 inch lift, 35 inch tires on 20's
    Wife's 2007 Chevrolet Suburban: 427, Corsa Exhaust

Should I file govt. form that might result in recall?

Originally posted by sturs6
    I was going to say no to this for now, since the recent fix attempt resulted in a less-bright green light and the Florida dealer replaced the switch rather than the backup battery on my last visit (June 4) -- per AOA's recommendation. I really had high hopes that that meant it was fixed. But NOOOO -- today it went red again. Sixth time!

SOOOO...should I file the form I was sent at my request by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), which is part of DOT (US Dept of Transportation)? Or should I wait and give my Michigan dealer one more chance?

I'm inclined to file because the Michigan dealer worked on this, too, early on.

One other thing I need to decide is whether to allow identification of myself to the manufacturer. The form letter I received from Alberto A. Jimenez says "The Privacy Act prohibits our agency from identifying you to the manufacturer without your permission." Jimenez is Chief, Correspondence Research Division, Office of Defects Investigation, Enforcement. On one hand, if I don't give permission, AOA may not see my report at all (tho I may call to make sure about that); on the other, if I do OK my ID, I worry a little that it could create problems for me at AOA, since I likely would no longer be considered a "loyal" customer.

It's going to take me a couple of days to gather & copy repair receipts and write my own letter, which will refer to & give the web address for this thread (unless someone here strongly objects). So there's time for input from other members here & I'd love to see some.

Meantime, anyone who wishes to contact NHTSA directly may do so toll free at (888) 327-4236 or http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/hotline

And by the way, when I called a few weeks ago to request the complaint form, I was pleasantly surprised that the wait time was short & the person I spoke to was very helpful.

Well I have got my third Unit installed now and it is still green it has been 2 weeks now. Audi sent me a new unit from a "secret" stock instead of the normal parts bin. I look forward to seeing if this is the fix.
    2005 Mallett CTS-V 007: long tube headers, race cam, exhaust, heads, intake, and suspension.

@ 3900 miles, I joined the club! yay!

oh wait.. this isn't a good club..

prodiag DTC - low volt condition on backup battery.

Strangely the onstar button no longer works -- the one that gives you the menu like virtual advisor etc, only the emergency call button works (and the cancel button).

Well I have got my third Unit installed now and it is still green it has been 2 weeks now. Audi sent me a new unit from a "secret" stock instead of the normal parts bin. I look forward to seeing if this is the fix.
    I am red again even after the "Secret stock". This and other problems I am ready to ask for a new one.

Green again

Mine turned red at 3.5K.. at 5K maintenance, I had them replace and it is now green again. I have to say, I prefer the red to match interior.

Does anybody know if the red light means anything from a pure function perspective? I seemed to be able to work the unit fine without the green light.. it's just that it was red..

Is that the same for other folks that it works anyway?

JK

For all of you new "Redlight District Member" Please find the poll Thread and register your vote. I am enjoying the running total.
    Poll Here
    The poll is closed when I try to vote. So I'll vote here. Do I have the dubious honour of being the first Canadian to report my red light?
    2010 XFR
    2004 RS6 (sold)
    2008 Exige S 240
    2009 V8 Vantage
    2008 X5 4.8i

Re: Green again

Originally posted by JKN
    Does anybody know if the red light means anything from a pure function perspective? I seemed to be able to work the unit fine without the green light...
    I can't guarantee this is right, but the problem seems to be that something causes the OnStar back-up battery to fail. As long as you're running on your regular car battery, OnStar should continue to work. But if there's an emergency that disables your car battery and the OnStar backup battery doesn't work either, then you're stuck without the emergency communication OnStar is supposed to provide. That's the gist of what I've heard, at least.

Additionally, someone at OnStar once told me that the red light coming on means that eventually, OnStar would not be able to locate a vehicle in trouble.

The onstar system software for 2003 models has a bug in it that can cause the unit to connect to onstar by itself and remain connected even after the engine is turned off, thus causing the unit to think power has been interrupted, so it kicks in the backup battery which becomes drained and voila, red light. This is also the source of the mysterious hissing sound from the b-pillar some were noticing.. Like a dead carrier.. Onstar has confirmed that this problem can sometimes be fixed with a reset, but probably will need to be replaced with an updated head unit .. Of course, onstar wont be telling you this unless you complain.. Now heres the extra bonus I found out about.. Onstar have developed a new unit for 2004 models that can be either digital or analog, which resolves the problem when analog disappears in 2008.. so, if you have a funky onstar unit, tell your service manager you want it replaced with a 2004 model.. I did this and will be getting it swapped out next week. HTH!

Rush to Dealers

Funny...

There's going to a rush on 2004 headunits in the next week.. hope they have a bunch in stock!!!

I will be getting my 4 head unit next month. How many will it take. I think there is a bigger unseen problem with certain cars and the problem will not get a fix. After I went red again I have noticed the hissing in the B pillar has queit again. In fact that is how I new the redlight was on.

Wink onstar went red

Have to take my car in for the electrical recall in the am. I have been holding off on installing XM radio to avoid the "red" problem. Today my green went red. Had it happened after the recall service I would have blamed the techs!
    I guess that is why there is the word coincidence.
    Let's see if they can fix it.

Re: onstar went red

Originally posted by Robert Wendel
    I have been holding off on installing XM radio to avoid the "red" problem.
    For the record, my OnStar red light went on before I installed Sirius, and it went on again after the installation too. Didn't seem to make a difference, in my case at least.

I'm now on my sixth fix. Entire new OnStar unit. We'll see. Haven't filed federal defect notice considered earlier, but may reconsider if this one fails.

what EXACTLY is this onstar redlight problem?
    93 RX-7
    2002 B6 A4 1.8T 6MT
    2002 B5 S4 2.7TT 6MT
    2003 C5 A6 2.7TT TIPTRONIC
    2003 G35 6MT
    2003 E46 M3 6MT
    2003 996TT 6MT X50
    2003 C5 RS6 Ebony Pearl/Silver Int.
    2003 2ND C5 RS6 Daytona Pearl/Ebony Int.
    2006 E46 BMW M3 SMG II

Current:
    2007 B7 S4 6MT w/ EVERY option
    2008 C350 with EVERY option
    BMW M6 SMG III w/ EVERY option

vehicle coming soon:
    2009 E93 M3 DCT

Originally posted by audirs6sport
    what EXACTLY is this onstar redlight problem?
    The tiny OnStar signal light over the center stack is supposed to stay green; red means something is wrong. Red lights have led to back-up batteries being replaced by the dozens, but they keep failing after a couple of weeks or couple of months. My OnStar switch also was replaced, but another red light followed. So now I have an entire new OnStar unit. As for others, scroll thru the posts.

My OnStar has never completely quit working, but once or twice I was told they could not locate my vehicle. That obviously would be important if I was in a serious accident.

Does that mean something besides a failing back-up battery is causing the red light to go on? Maybe; since replacing the back-up battery has not solved the problem, something else must be causing it, eh? In any case, if we knew all the answers then there wouldn't be a problem! Maybe it's been solved by the 2004 model of OnStar, per post above. We'll see.

so is this problem caused after you install an XM radio or phat noise?

93 RX-7
    2002 B6 A4 1.8T 6MT
    2002 B5 S4 2.7TT 6MT
    2003 C5 A6 2.7TT TIPTRONIC
    2003 G35 6MT
    2003 E46 M3 6MT
    2003 996TT 6MT X50
    2003 C5 RS6 Ebony Pearl/Silver Int.
    2003 2ND C5 RS6 Daytona Pearl/Ebony Int.
    2006 E46 BMW M3 SMG II

Current:
    2007 B7 S4 6MT w/ EVERY option
    2008 C350 with EVERY option
    BMW M6 SMG III w/ EVERY option

vehicle coming soon:
    2009 E93 M3 DCT

No though it can happen after sat radio is installed but again we are talking about a problem that is actually a false reading on the computers part.

OnStar redlight back on again <1month after fix

Went in for the first OnStar redlight fix at 5,000 miles, it was green for about 900 miles and now it's back to red .

It's the battery again according to Onstar's diagnostics! The first one was the GPS antenna connection according to Onstar diagnostics but when I took it in, Audi said it was actually the battery that was at fault.

I suspect they have a design fault in the charging circuit for the backup battery or that something else is draining it when it shouldn't be.

No Sat nav, no XM radio, no Phat noise ... so I don't think they are in any way related to the problem. Don't hold off on getting XM Radio or Phatnoise just because you are worried about the red light - you'll get it anyway sooner or later!

So, when they replace the Onstar unit can you get the new 'digital one' with better voice recognition?

On a positive note, the red light does complement the rest of the instrumentation much better, maybe I'll reverse the LED when I finally do get it fixed so green = problem, red = normal
    2003 RS6 Sound-Enhancing Exhaust/Nav/Carbon Fibre/Avus Silver
    Ford F350 Dually (525lb-ft. of torque!)
    Previous all-wheel drive cars: Mitsubishi 3000 GT-VR4, 2 x Range Rover, Peugot 405 MI16-4x4