Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rolling fenders?

Wink Rolling fenders?

Hey guys,

Brand new here but have been following the forum the last month. Just got my first 03 Avus Silver Black interior RS6 (the fastest color =p ) and looking to do mostly cosmetic mods on the beast. I've put PSS9's on the beast already and its lowered 1.2in but my front tires are rubbing when I corner. I'm thinking about getting it raised 0.5in but really like the lowered look.

From my understanding my 3 options are:
    1. Raise the coils .5in
    2. Roll the fenders (went to 3 different tire factorys and they all advised against it since fenders flare)
    3. Get different tires. I currently am running on the tires that came with the car. Bridgestone Potenza RE050A 255/40R/18's.

Has anyone here rolled their fenders or do you advise against it? Should I just get some 255/30R/19's to fix the problem?

These pics are a little old. I have since gotten a 30% tint all around except windshield. Oh and I live in Portland, OR if any other RS6's are out here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	forum2..jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	53.3 KB 
ID:	11783   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	forum1..jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	11784   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	forum3..jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	66.4 KB 
ID:	11785   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	forum4..jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	67.7 KB 
ID:	11786  

that's interesting that you're getting rubbing - you're not running spacers, are you? The H&R springs that are an option for those who are keeping the DRC shocks drop 1.4" and haven't heard reports of rubbing, but I'm pretty new here as well.

Are you rubbing only when turning the car around at full steering lock?

I'm baffled why someone would recommend against rolling the fenders; since these are aluminum, it's a LOT easier to roll than steel. It could bend the flares out more, but if it's carefully done it shouldn't be much, and widened flares can only look better?? I do remember rolling the fenders on my Skyline - it did seem to pump out the front fender flares a couple of millimeters, keyword being *seem*. It looked a lot more defined and I really went to town rolling the fronts (which are aluminum...the rear is steel, and those were a bitch to roll!).

Anyways, I'm sure someone here who has had their fenders rolled can chime in with their experiences with the RS6.
    Das Silberkugel - Eurocharged Stage 2/MTM/Level 10/Hotchkis/Koni/H&R
    2015 Ducati 1299S Panigale
    2014 Ducati Multistrada Granturismo

Nice Looking Ride and Welcome aboard repda503. I really don't understand why you have rubbing issues. I am running 275-30-19's and I am lowered quite a bit as you can see with no rubbing issues. One thing I did do was to remove the outermost fender liner screw on each side because there was some rubbing initially. But I noticed it was only rubbing those 2 screws. Once removed there was no more rubbing. Running Stock size tires like you are should not result in rubbing, unless you are super low which I don't see. So why you are rubbing I don't know. But try the Screw thing and see what happens..............

03 RS6, VIPER ECU, MTM TCU, Milltek Full Catless Non Res setup from Turbos to the boxes(ROAR'S), H&R Coilovers, Hotchkiss ARB's, 19x10's with 275-30-19 PSS's at each corner, Kenwood 9960 Head unit, V1 Radar Locator. 517 Trans Rebuild, ScrollProducts Turbo Rebuild.

welcome!
    Got a VIN?

It looks like you are running stock rims and decent tires. I wonder if it is the sidewall that is rubbing?
    Have you got under there to look at what is rubbing?
    If it is "old knob" - you will have some grinding to do...
    Audi5000csqt might be able to chime in better than me as he knows his ride height but when I drove his, there wasn't any rubbing but then again, I wasn't cornering - I was "testing" the Eurocharged Tune
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Still on the fence, ben?
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

Quote Originally Posted by JSRS6 View Post
    Still on the fence, ben?
    No but I have other items to get squared away before the tune - Dynamically Catastrophic Ride system...
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Quote Originally Posted by JSRS6 View Post
    Still on the fence, ben?
    ^LOL- If past is any indication of future- a decision will be made in the next Chinese Year of the Ox (probably about the same time as I get my boost issue worked out)- ;0 We only pick on our friends Ben...
    210K miles rolled

Ben, borrow the cfo's car and get that demon gone!
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

Ben the water is warm...like a childs swimming pool....
    Ebony/Black, DBR Stage 3 race kit, -SOLD :( 996TT Proto 650 basically a sardine can with a rocket attached to the back...11' CTS-V, 540/579RWP hehehehe ;)

repda, it really looks like to me like there may be spacers
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

Quote Originally Posted by 4everRS View Post
    repda, it really looks like to me like there may be spacers
    How can you tell?

I tried looking under the car and I'm definitely not rubbing on the outermost screw. It seems like the rubbing happens on the inside of the wheel deep inside by the fenders when I turn the wheels entirely. When I stick my hand on the perimeter of the wheel, my fingers can't even get through the clearance. Could this be caused by spacers? With stock rims and stock tires, I don't think its that my car is too low either.

Oh BTW Ben my VIN is WAUPV64B43N905740. Hope I didn't get one of your guyses old ones? I Carfaxed it and it comes from VA Beach and through PA.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG3169..jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	61.3 KB 
ID:	11787  

My fenders on the RS6 are already factory rolled front & rear. There not a 180' roll but rather than most cars 90' lip they are probably at least 135'+ angle bend. So you could get a slightly more clearance with a little more roll but not much.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

fellow Portlander

I'm in PDX, too, and have a somewhat recently acquired RS6. I'm in NW/Forest Heights area, so if you're in that neck of the woods you may see me in my black beast. If there are any others around, we should meet up for a beer like the cool kids do in Seattle....
    '03 RS6: Ebony Black Pearl/Silver, CF interior. Eurocharged Stage 2 (amazing!), MTM TCU, LED tails, V1 radar (essential), 25% Carbon tint.

You're probably lower than 1.2" if that's what's happening.
    Das Silberkugel - Eurocharged Stage 2/MTM/Level 10/Hotchkis/Koni/H&R
    2015 Ducati 1299S Panigale
    2014 Ducati Multistrada Granturismo

With Stock offsets (BBS RS-GT wheels with spacers replicating stock offsets) I had no rubbing problems with the car lowered 2". I have since raised it 1/2" as it looked too chopped for me but still not rubbing, just a real slight amount occaisonally on the plastic inner fender liner in the front lower center.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Quote Originally Posted by repda503 View Post
    How can you tell?

I tried looking under the car and I'm definitely not rubbing on the outermost screw. It seems like the rubbing happens on the inside of the wheel deep inside by the fenders when I turn the wheels entirely. When I stick my hand on the perimeter of the wheel, my fingers can't even get through the clearance. Could this be caused by spacers? With stock rims and stock tires, I don't think its that my car is too low either.

Oh BTW Ben my VIN is WAUPV64B43N905740. Hope I didn't get one of your guyses old ones? I Carfaxed it and it comes from VA Beach and through PA.
    If that is truly your VIN, that is NOT an RS6... It should be WUA......
    If it is a typo, I will check tomorrow when I get into the office...

Yeah it was a typo. Or at least I hope it is because I look under the hood and see a V8 biturbo screaming at me WUA is what is was supposed to be.

I'm having my mechanic take a look at it on Monday. I will let you guys know what he says! Thanks for the help everybody.

What wheels are those?

Quote Originally Posted by Elevens View Post
    Nice Looking Ride and Welcome aboard repda503. I really don't understand why you have rubbing issues. I am running 275-30-19's and I am lowered quite a bit as you can see with no rubbing issues. One thing I did do was to remove the outermost fender liner screw on each side because there was some rubbing initially. But I noticed it was only rubbing those 2 screws. Once removed there was no more rubbing. Running Stock size tires like you are should not result in rubbing, unless you are super low which I don't see. So why you are rubbing I don't know. But try the Screw thing and see what happens..............