Thread: Real Mileage: Is there a way to know your odometer has been tampered with?

Real Mileage: Is there a way to know your odometer has been tampered with?

Hi People:

I´d like to know if you can find out the real mileage on your car, apart from what the odometer has registered, I´ve heard from some friends that you just change the little module on the dashboard for
    a new one, and start from zero. I don´t know. ¿ Is there a module , chip, or something that could record the true mileage of a Beast? Thanks for your help.

as far as I understand, digital odometers are prohibitively difficult and expensive to tamper with or replace.
    Das Silberkugel - Eurocharged Stage 2/MTM/Level 10/Hotchkis/Koni/H&R
    2015 Ducati 1299S Panigale
    2014 Ducati Multistrada Granturismo

ahh, there is a way around, from my understanding. Just swap the whole module. I have heard that you can buy a unit from an a6, and code it for car. then if you re install, swap original back in. Its a shame, but thats why ya buy a car with lots of documents. If a car had several owners and mileage seemed to grow with each new owner at registration, and then suddenly the current owner had it for a a year plus and only put a couple hundred miles on it...red light
    Ebony/Black, DBR Stage 3 race kit, -SOLD :( 996TT Proto 650 basically a sardine can with a rocket attached to the back...11' CTS-V, 540/579RWP hehehehe ;)

There are many ways to get around mileage in many cars. I know a few shops that can easily set miles to any number they prefer with a few simple tools they have + their computer/laptop. it is impossible to ever know and honestly it sucks but is a chance we all take buying used cars. i just got a new cluster for my b5 that had 199k on it and a good frend of mine is going to update my almost exact miles on it since my cluster was stolen.
    they call me Tank

Thanks, Guys.