Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vibration ...

Vibration ...

So, this happens consistently .. at hwy speed, some vibration in steering wheel which also felt by my feet (on gas pedal, etc). If I then brake hard, the vibration subsequently all but disappears.

I am discounting unbalanced wheels (the vibe shouldn't go away if that were the case, right?)

Had dealer check for loose front end/steering rack last time in for service, they found nothing.

Any thoughts?

TIA
    GBNF: Mugello, silver, carbon, RNS-E, H&R coilovers, Hotchkiss
    '14 GL550
    '79 911SC Targa

tie rod? bad control arm bushings? im having a similar issue. I may be completely wrong too.
    they call me Tank

vibration problems are killing me on this car.. tough to say if it goes away during braking. check bearings.. put car on rack and try to shake wheel in all directions checking for any movement. could be rear bushings.. unlikely tho.
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..
    "Some people play hard to get... I play hard to want."

maybe the fantastic drc system, i got vibrations only when the engine is cold...my steeringwheel is shuddering like hell at approx. 100 km/u.
    After the engine is hot, it disapeared...

Sorry, i see you have ohlins...
    Mugello Blue C5 RS6 Avant Viper Tuning ECU/TCU
    MTM Bimoto wheels 9,5 x 19 ET 30 LK 5x112 with 275/30/19 tyres
    MTM exhaust system cat back 4-pipe with throttle valves in 2 pipes, control

Quote Originally Posted by kilian tuning View Post
    i got vibrations only when the engine is cold...my steeringwheel is shuddering like hell at approx. 100 km/u.
    After the engine is hot, it disapeared...
    I have the exact same thing, the vibration is very slight and since she is my daily driver - it doesn't happen unless she sits for 2+ days...
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Flat spot in tires or water stuck in wheels (if you have wheels that contour out toward face)?
    2013 Audi S8

Check control arms. Chance that you front, lower, rear arms may wiggle around a bit. If so, it makes sense that the vibration goes away upon hard braking, pressure is being so solidly applied any slop would become irrelevant.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

Long Shot check your CV joints. Had a severe vibration issue with My Allroad a while ago which occurred only above a certain speed. There was absolutely nothing pointing faulty CV joints. However at 70,000mi I figured replacement time was close. So I did, and all Vibration issues disappeared. This is usually a cure all for a lot of Strange Vibration issues. I know that Bad CV joints are usually indicated by Clicking or Groaning noises when turning the wheel, but not all the time. Just food for thought.......
    03 RS6, VIPER ECU, MTM TCU, Milltek Full Catless Non Res setup from Turbos to the boxes(ROAR'S), H&R Coilovers, Hotchkiss ARB's, 19x10's with 275-30-19 PSS's at each corner, Kenwood 9960 Head unit, V1 Radar Locator. 517 Trans Rebuild, ScrollProducts Turbo Rebuild.

Quote Originally Posted by ttboost View Post
    Flat spot in tires or water stuck in wheels (if you have wheels that contour out toward face)?
    Only started for me when I got 'Kooked
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Quote Originally Posted by ben916 View Post
    Only started for me when I got 'Kooked
    Crap, I have Hankook V12s too!
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..

Pat had the same issues with the Hankooks. According to him, it went away after several miles.

Doesn't sound like the problems LIRS6 has though.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

I have the Kooks and don't have issues with vibrations- mostly because it was on a shop lift most of 2011..;0 Seriously though- the few hundred miles I've rolled on them this year. I haven't had issues with any vibrations after new rotors, new wheel bearings, and brake pads.
    210K miles rolled

so if its the cv joint, is it a diy job or a expensive one at the audi stealer....?
    is it noticable from the outside? can you feel some play in it? is it a mot point they look at when its time for the mot?
    mine has to go tomorrow for a new mot...maybe they can check it when he is on the bridge...(unless it is a motpoint, then i wont attend them about the cv joints ofcourse...)
    Last edited by kilian tuning; September 22nd, 2011 at 11:36.
    Mugello Blue C5 RS6 Avant Viper Tuning ECU/TCU
    MTM Bimoto wheels 9,5 x 19 ET 30 LK 5x112 with 275/30/19 tyres
    MTM exhaust system cat back 4-pipe with throttle valves in 2 pipes, control

Definitely a DIY...kits go for about 100, reman axles as low as 140. Reman axle is usually the easier option, since you don't have to mess with grease.
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

Quote Originally Posted by kilian tuning View Post
    so if its the cv joint, is it a diy job or a expensive one at the audi stealer....?
    is it noticable from the outside? can you feel some play in it? is it a mot point they look at when its time for the mot?
    mine has to go tomorrow for a new mot...maybe they can check it when he is on the bridge...(unless it is a motpoint, then i wont attend them about the cv joints ofcourse...)

As JSRS6 mentioned Its a relatively easy job. The hardest part would be removing the Axle from the wheel hub. Sometimes it requires removing the Upper two arm links. Over here we have Company call Raxles. They supply perfectly rebuilt Axes with OEM CV Joints at a reasonable price. Over by you, I don't know. If your a little bit Mechanically inclined you can definitely do the job yourself.....
    03 RS6, VIPER ECU, MTM TCU, Milltek Full Catless Non Res setup from Turbos to the boxes(ROAR'S), H&R Coilovers, Hotchkiss ARB's, 19x10's with 275-30-19 PSS's at each corner, Kenwood 9960 Head unit, V1 Radar Locator. 517 Trans Rebuild, ScrollProducts Turbo Rebuild.

Quote Originally Posted by 4everRS View Post
    Pat had the same issues with the Hankooks. According to him, it went away after several miles.

Doesn't sound like the problems LIRS6 has though.
    Well I do have Hankooks, but the way the issue comes/goes during driving suggests to me that it is something else.

Thanks for all of the input thus far.

I'll look into the bearings and go from there.

Jason
    GBNF: Mugello, silver, carbon, RNS-E, H&R coilovers, Hotchkiss
    '14 GL550
    '79 911SC Targa

Sorry for digging up an old one but I have been battling vibrations for a while now and can't seem to get rid of them.

So far I have replaced all control arms with Meyle HD, both front axles with units from Raxles, and one wheel bearing. The control arms made the biggest improvement and the axles have smoothed things out too but I still get vibrations between 60 and about 78. I have rotated the tires(as regular maintenance)and nothing changed.

Any ideas?

Drive shaft. My next target.