Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I find this SO disturbing, I have to share..

Yeah Im young.... but my dad was 40years old !
    If you want to educate your childrens with fear, fine!
    My dad always showed me cars can be driven fast and safly if you have the skills....

I hope you never speed in your RS6 with famlily inside cus I know that you will feel bad after it...

Im off too, you talk like you know everthing and your always right!
    Artur Costa

Originally posted by TheBrit

I have driven at high speed with passengers ...
    TheBrit ... I heard you had your mother-in-law in the car when you were doing that overtaking we saw in the video clips :360:

Artur Costa

You are missing a point
    The M5 owner said her 7year old daughter was crying
    in the back seat...
    now, if you were this M5 owner, would you still wanna drive
    fast?
    As you said going 200km in RS6 is not a big deal,
    especially for a highly skilled driver.
    But you are not the only one on the road
    who knows if some stupid drunken driver does something stupid
    of course there is very little chance this will happen.
    I am just saying as a father of 2 children he should have been
    more careful.
    I am sure you won't understand this...but after few years
    you will

Originally posted by TheBrit
    There's a time & a place where it's low enough risk, and plenty of times where it's too risky - the trick is knowing which is which.
    Well said. This is THE main point.

(P.S. Moderator, please move to off topic since we are now discussing everything from Hitler to the Iraqi war.)

Ben

Folks,

My apologies for the reply to thcak last night, it wasn't the right place.

Admin, can you erase my post ?

Eric
    Last edited by taipan; October 9th, 2003 at 07:14.

Just a few facts

I just wanted to add my 2 cents worth. Speaking as a former law enforcement officer, current security driver, and as someone who has been trained in pursuit driving, protection/security driving, emergency vehicle operations, and as a licensed driver for going on 30 years, the man is a fool. Of course that is just my opinion so here are a few facts. According to the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE), the average driver can only use 40% of a car's capability. The average driver's reaction time is .5 to .7 seconds. At 145 MPH the guy is traveling approximately 213 feet per second (MPH x 1.47). Giving him the benefit of the doubt and saying he would be able to react in .5 seconds as opposed to .7 on even longer, he is going to travel approximately 107 feet before his brain manages to tell his foot to hit the brakes. He is an accident waiting to happen, I just hope his family isn't in the car when it does. I love to drive and I love to drive fast but I am very, very selective about when and where I do that. For me, the most disturbing thing about reading that post on the M5 site was the number of replies supporting and praising his actions.

There is NO excuse for driving so fast with a 7-yr-old crying

If nothing else, consider the 7-year-old's crying to be a warning. Even if the odds of something going wrong seem low, how would you feel if something tragic DID happen?

Sometimes we forget that we are not really in full control even at legal speeds. My 19-year-old girlfriend was killed in a head-on at 50 mph because a little old lady wandered over the double yellow line, and although I reacted quickly (at age 22 then) I was able to put only about a foot of rubber on road, from my brakes, before we hit. Had the little old lady or I been speeding, you wouldn't be reading this now because I would be dead too.

Originally posted by andyp
    TheBrit ... I heard you had your mother-in-law in the car when you were doing that overtaking we saw in the video clips :360:
    In the car? Well, if the trunk counts as in the car...
    +=====================================+
    ChrisB aka TheBrit, as named by Clout & SantorinSteve over on AW.

Now
    +-------
    Daytona Grey C6 RS 6 Avant
    Meteor Grey S5 Tip

History
    +-------
    Lava Grey C6 allroad 3.0 TDI
    Daytona Grey D3 S8 (twice)
    Ebony Black D3 W12 SWB
    Ebony Black C5 allroad 2.5 TDI Tip Limited Edition
    Silver A2 1.6 FSI SE
    Silver C5 A6 Avant 2.7T Sport
    Volcano Black B5 A4 2.8 qm Sport

Re: Just a few facts

Originally posted by secdrvr
    According to the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE), the average driver can only use 40% of a car's capability.
    Now you've got me interested. Any explanation of what exactly that means?
    I love to drive and I love to drive fast but I am very, very selective about when and where I do that.
    Hear, hear.

Now
    +-------
    Meteor Grey S5 Tip

History
    +-------
    Ebony Black D3 W12 SWB
    Silver A2 1.6 FSI SE
    Volcano Black B5 A4 2.8 qm Sport

Do you take atention to a young kid eatch time his crying?
    Well I dont think so.... but thats not the point!

Shure that if I had someone in my car crying or scream I would not race another guy! It already happend and I left the guy go!

Its just that you say "its SO wrong to go fast " and you drive a RS6!!! You have no right to say that!

Some races are dangers , athores are just "normal"...

For secdrv , well my dad always warned me about those things , not so tecnlicaly , but he told me that at normal speeds sometimes is nearly impossible to avoid a crash and that at high speeds is fatal....I always tought " ...everyone drives over the speed limits...and nothing happends.." yeah its true and I kept thinking on this till one day this summer I was travling in a 90km/h limit road doing 80km/h or even less , when a car comming into the road lost control of the car and hited the central part of the road(dont know the name) just 50mts in front of me and I nearly hited hem!!! :bigeyes: No way I could have stoped my car so I braked hard and got away between the car and another car in the right lane.... I was very scared and THEN I realysed he was right!

But tell me , do you get this things every day and every ware?
    Yeah it can happend , but the chances are very low....

....if you think its risky....well life is a constant risk , sometimes you just push it too mutch , sometimes it just happends!

With all of this you probalby think Im a crazy driver....but no! You can all me crazy when the road is "open" and alone!

Once again , the M5 drive was not right special cus of his daughter, but please dont tell me " he nearly killed hem self and the ones that were with hem" there are a lot of bad drivers out there that need punishment and ELEVENS is not one of those....
    Artur Costa

Originally posted by Artur Costa
    Shure that if I had someone in my car crying or scream I would not race another guy! It already happend and I left the guy go!
    Actually, your original post said that after you backed down, you didn't " let the guy go" but got back up to 145 mph!

Maybe there's a cultural difference here? In the U.S., racing other cars on public highways is not a family activity. If it was just an adult couple, no kids, that's one thing. And if a son is interested, why not take him to a legitimate track event? Maybe attend a performance driving school alone, before taking him.

I guarantee that at a proper such school (usually a weekend here), you will learn a lot, have fun, and set a good example without endangering your family.

I attended an Audi club school in Michigan and had a blast with my S4. Maybe your RS6 is still too new to track -- that's how I feel about my car -- but I hope you'll consider this.

And, yes, I've driven my RS6 fast a few times -- on a trip out West, where speed limits are 75. Always dropped to 90 or less when coming up on traffic, most of which was going 80-85, and I wouldn't even go for it if there wasn't about 2-3 miles of straight highway ahead, deserted and clearly visible. I also took it to the Bonneville Salt Flats & got to 140 mph.

With me at the time was my girlfriend; I asked and got her permission. No kids, though, and in the U.S. at least, that makes a huge difference.
    Last edited by JAXRS6; October 10th, 2003 at 04:03.

Originally posted by JAXRS6
    I took it to the Bonneville Salt Flats & got to 140 mph.
    Curious. You should have hit (an indicated) 160+. What happened? Did you let off at 140?

40%

TheBrit -

Regarding your question about my post and the 40%, I'll explain how I understand it. I got that info while taking a Protection Driver certification course thru Crossroads Training Academy earlier this year. Crossroads is internationally recognized and sets the standard, at least in the area of security/protection driving as it applies to executive/VIP protection. Anyway in the context of the course I took, as I understand it, it means that your average driver can only safely operate a vehicle at 40% of it's design capability. By average I mean someone who has no training beyond whatever they needed to get their drivers license. For instance, if a car's design allows it to make it thru a slalom course at 60 MPH in the hands of a skilled, trained driver, your average driver would only be able to make it thru (under control) at 40 % of 60 MPH or 24 MPH. That may not be the best example, but is the general idea. The training I received at Crossroads starts you at 80 % and works up to 100%. If anyone has the opportunity to attend one of their coruses I would highly recommend it. Over the years I have been trained by the USAF, the USA, a British military unit, West German police, the Washington State Patrol and a couple of others. Crossroads is the best training I have had and plan to attend one or two of their courses next year.

Originally posted by Benman
    Curious. You should have hit (an indicated) 160+. What happened? Did you let off at 140?
    Yes, I backed down, because the salt was not all that great. It had rained hard 2-3 days before, so it was not as hard as it should have been to call optimum conditions. It also was a bit bumpy where I drove, which was simply from the end of the road that leads to the racing area. I never got to where they actually race or do time trials.

Also, someone told me it would cost $1500 to get a tow if I got stuck, and with the recent rain that was a possibility in some areas. So, I got up to 140, it was fun but a little bumpy -- and a little too risky for me to keep pushing it. (I have a photo of my beast at the end of the run, its sides [and bottom] caked with salt! I washed it right away & later had the underside washed by hand on a hoist. Will try to post photo if I ever find time to learn that process & get it done.)

I did feel there was plenty of grunt left, however, and that 160 should be possible -- under better conditions.

1. This thread belongs in the "all high-performance cars" section or rather after the development of the thread - in the off-topic section.

2. This is internet, everything you write will not get forgotten next second (your post is saved in the archive and can easily be found with the search button in the upper right corner), therefor think before you write and try to stay friendly instead of letting yourself get all hostile.

3. There's no third.

Regards
    /peter

This was a friendly post - if I would been mad, you would have noticed it.

secdrvr, thanks for the info.

I'd like to think I could better 40%, although I'm sure everyone thinks that about themselves...

Have you driven the new A8 at all? I got chace to slalom one through cones at 50mph at an Audi launch event. Very impressive for a big car, I didn't hit any cones despite them being so close together than actually seeing them was almost impossible once you started the run. Also did the 'Elk Test' at about 50mph with the suspension control set to Comfort - again a very impressive performance for such a big car.

Now
    +-------
    Meteor Grey S5 Tip

History
    +-------
    Ebony Black D3 W12 SWB
    Silver A2 1.6 FSI SE